Information about the Luxfer recall / exchange 6351 alloy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just learned of the pre-1988 Luxfer SLC issue when trying to get a tank rented from one LDS filled at another, while it was certainly good to be informed of the situation the fill station op mentioned that there was an explosion in Maui recently (within the last month, his words) that resulted in a fatality. And gave me the impression this was during a dive, killing a diver.
Has anyone seen any info on such an occurence?

Hey guys, new to the board so little help...I bought 5 luxfer AL 80's in the late 70's and still have three of them. I am religious about taking care of them, hydro and VIP's are good and fairly recent. Seems to me these things are THAT bad, DOT would shut them down. I hear there are some shops that won't fill them...haven't run into any yet. I have friends who are freaking out and dumping theirs (their's have not been abused either!) ...looks like a chance for me to pick up a few freebies.....whatcha think?

RR -

You're a bit late. The last post to this thread was in August, 2003. The Luxfer offer ended in December, 2003.

If you're still using Luxfer tanks you bought in the late 1970's then you've gotten your money's worth from them. If they turn up with neck cracks on a VIP, make wind chimes from them and consider yourself fortunate. OTOH, if you're interested in purchasing additional tanks, you'd likely be better off with aluminum tanks in the new alloy.

river rat:
Hey guys, new to the board so little help...I bought 5 luxfer AL 80's in the late 70's and still have three of them. I am religious about taking care of them, hydro and VIP's are good and fairly recent. Seems to me these things are THAT bad, DOT would shut them down. I hear there are some shops that won't fill them...haven't run into any yet. I have friends who are freaking out and dumping theirs (their's have not been abused either!) ...looks like a chance for me to pick up a few freebies.....whatcha think?

They are perfectly fine cylinders if they are inspected well. Specifically, looking for sustained load cracking.

Thank you for pointing out I'm a bit "late"...sorry, just found this board after some issues came up with some friends (I don't get out much....)....I really thought this thing was put to bed, kinda blew it off, I know the rebate offer went out in 03, but c'mon $50 toward replacing a perfectly good tank???!!!...then started hearing more from one of the upstate dive shops....BTW, I bought a Luxfer tank brand new in 2000, the first time it went through the VIP PLUS one year later, it FAILED! I had to ship it MY cost back to Luxfer, who okayed it and sent it back (MY COST) to me.....

Ive been known to make a mistake or two, but way back in my aged diving career, there was a tank by USD that we called "the Siver Bullet" It was rated, I believe as 2475 and was taller than a steel 72 but was the same 6.25 diameter as the steels. It was definatley an aluminum and was a floater, big time!! Hope this helps to clear up the"Weird Tank"
Rick Murchison:
As far as I knew USD was only distributing steel tanks in '72, and the 2475 would make sense as a steel with a working pressure of 2250 + 10% is 2475.
But... the SP6498, as far as I can determine, is an Aluminum alloy!
Do you see a 3AL or a 3AA anywhere on the tank? Does it have a flat bottom, or a rounded bottom?
SP6498, by the way, is susceptable to sustained load cracking and requires a VIP+, and some shops won't fill 'em at all.
But that 2475 on it is wierd.
Rick

Heck, just realized that I looking at pat threads taht are older than I am. Ill try to pay more attention to the dates!!! still learning the board
clearwaterdivers:
Ive been known to make a mistake or two, but way back in my aged diving career, there was a tank by USD that we called "the Siver Bullet" It was rated, I believe as 2475 and was taller than a steel 72 but was the same 6.25 diameter as the steels. It was definatley an aluminum and was a floater, big time!! Hope this helps to clear up the"Weird Tank"

Actually I happen to be reading this thread for the first time today as well, incidentally because I had a dive shop recently refuse a tank I brought them for a fill. They claim it was a Walter Kidde tank. My question is, how can the average diver tell if their tank is from a suspect manufacturer such as Walter Kidde? Is there a listing out there of all the tank manufacturer's stamps?

Doc Intrepid:
You're a bit late. The last post to this thread was in August, 2003. The Luxfer offer ended in December, 2003.
Though it may be a bit late for the trade in, it's never too late to post to an existing thread in order to keep relevant information in one place. The board software brings the thread back up to the top and makes it current.

I applaud river rat for using the search function and posting to an already existing thread, instead of spreading information thinly all over the file like so many people that don't use the search function do...

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom