Information about the Luxfer recall / exchange 6351 alloy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the looks of it the steel tank that blew up in the car had the rubber type coating that can harbour rust between the coating and the Tank. When I do inspections I will not pass a tank with this coating, I think that is the reccomended procedure.

As fo 6351 Aluminums, roaky is correct, a properly inspected tank, one that was properly tested with an eddy current test, is very safe. But from an LDS position I can understand why some wont fiull them, how do they know if this was properly done unless they did it themselves. Sometimes the decal is merely just that, a decal.

I believe the major problems were with Walter Kidde and Luxfer pre 1988. I too would second the thought to put down those tanks, especially the E6498 and SP6498 and anything WK.

To my knowledge there are no legalities about these exemptions but just as a personal preference I highly reccomend putting them away. A tank from 1980 has had a good life.

Besides, who wants to dive with Aluminums anyway!

My 2 Cents.

Hello,

One of the dive shops I went to this weekend has a sign behind the counter detailing what they won't fill, on this list is:

Tanks that have been painted OR baked OR in a fire.
Any al tank pre-1984.
NON-DOT stamped tanks, and several other similar type stuff.

Ed

After reading all these threads about tanks exploding I'm a little bit worried about my scuba tank i bought on ebay. The guy told me it has been hydroed and vis so I have nothing worry. The link below is the auction of the tank. Let me know what you guys think. Also i would like to know when this tank was made

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3621537175

It's not available because he bought it. :)

It looks like a Luxfer tank made in April 1977 for US Divers. If the VIP and Hydro are current I would not worry about the alloy used. If you want to be extra safe have a new visual plus inspection done before you fill it.

1977? Good chance that's one of Luxfer's "floaters" (tank went very positive when empty). To tell for sure I'd have to find my PSI workbook which is MIA last time I went looking for it...

Roak

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
It's not available because he bought it. :)

It looks like a Luxfer tank made in April 1977 for US Divers. If the VIP and Hydro are current I would not worry about the alloy used. If you want to be extra safe have a new visual plus inspection done before you fill it.

I will definitely get a new Vis plus inspection again. I just dont want the tank exploded when im handling it or worst hurting my local dive shop. About alloy...I'm not sure what this tank is made up can you shine me some more info on it. I've been reading about horror stories so i duno if my tank fall into those category. Thank you guys

That tank is made of the 6351 alloy that all the horror stories revolve around.

The stories are very much tainted by the possibility of fill operator incompetence. Any tank will fail if you abuse it.

I own three of the tanks and I'll be trading mine in since the hydro dates are getting close anyway. The tanks aren't giving me any problems. It just strikes me as a great way to get freshly hydroed tanks at a pretty good price.

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news/releases/20021209.shtml

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom