Inon Z-240 Issue with TTL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm interesting. The setting on the strobe looks correct, and the camera seems to be correct (since they work with the YS-90s). Camera strobe is set at External? looks like it should work. I'll go look at some past research I did on this. Think I got a response from Heinrich before.

Wolverine,

Yea, the flash is set to external only.. Any help you can provide would be MUCH appreciated. I'm reaching out to everyone and any place I can think of before I give up and say they are faulty.

TIA!

Have you tried Manual+TTL (Set the left dial to M, Right side to 9pm position) with magnet in? I was just wondering if the Matthias Heinrich converter acts like a film TTL.

When I do that, I am able to adjust the power, however, since it is supposed to be Manual + TTL (manual setting the maximum power output) I am still able to over expose the picture dramatically by setting the power maximum to something too high. It is supposed to use TTL in that mode also and not do that, but it does.

Its just like it is ignoring the TTL all together so maybe the signal to shut the strobe down is not working, or the TTL metering is not working right..

Are you using both strobes, or have you also tried one strobe at a time? The shot with the 240 @ f2.8 is most definately over-exposed, but at that aperture and at full strobe power, I would expect the picture be much more washed out (With mine, with a similar shot even at f4 I get an almost completely white picture. I realise they're totally different camera, but I wouldn't expect the difference to be that great)). How does the TTL at f2.8 compare to full manual power at f2.8?

Hope you get this figured out, because I just bought the same set-up for my SP-350 and am just waiting for the H/W bulkhead to come in. Backscatter is supposed to set it up for me, so hopefully they can make everything work together.

After going to the Inon website and reading their instructions for use on "high end DSLR" I am somewhat confused and perturbed. While the Z-240 purports to be a ttl strobe, all the ttl info is for "S-ttl". This requires a preflash from the camera and an optical synch cord. For DSLR use, the website specifies manual or external auto settings when used with an electrical synch cord. On the other hand, the literature states that the strobe will work in "true ttl" when used with a Nikonos or Nikonos protocol signal with a FILM CAMERA! Had I known this, I probably would have said the heck with it and just bought a YS-90 instead. Hopefully, there's a better answer out there. External auto, by the way, is you set the strobe for the camera's aperture and shutter settings and it sends out what it deems to be the correct light for conditions.

I know this is gonna sound real stupid but is the flash mode in the camera set to TTL-Auto? Just checking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom