Instructors should take some advanced training as well. Yea or Nay? Does it matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Jim as to instructors staying up to date, and training is one aspect of that. I don't think that training necessarily has to be something leading to a new credential, but it could be. It could be attending professional update sessions, which PADI has at least annually in person at a location near you, attending DEMA and seminars offered there, including those regarding new equipment, and in service sessions many local shops hold. I also think instructors should familiarize themselves with a variety of equipment manufacturers, which will enable them to guide students to proper gear selection for reasons other than their personal bias or their familiarity with only one brand. Ongoing emergency medical training ans rescue training is a must, of course.
DivemasterDennis

Without reading all 6 pages of the post, I'll throw my opinion in as a still relatively new diver still getting training on a regular basis:

I think continuing education is important, up to date on CPR, best standards and practices, and particularly medical information (narcosis, O2 tox, etc.).

Even more important, to me at least, is how active the instructor is outside of teaching. I want an instructor who continues to push themselves. I quickly crossed over into the more technical side of diving, so I look for a diver who doesn't just teach, but is regularly doing technical dives. An instructor who is doing deep dives on mixed gas, regularly doing decompression, multi-jump cave dives, deep exploration, etc. is the instructor I'm looking for.

It's not that I need an instructor who is doing dangerous activities, but I want an instructor who is committed to the sport, not just teaching to make money. An instructor who is pushing their boundaries will also be more apt to know what emergencies a diver may be expected to handle on a dive, what equipment failures to be on the lookout for, and small tweaks to my equipment or gear arrangement that matter. And they base that knowledge on their own real life experiences. They are contributing to the overall knowledge base of diving, rather than just regurgitating course materials.

I had no idea what the i3 was, but come on, is it rocket science? It's not even anything new, Cressi have had the Flight Control system for years, Mares has the Airtrim... all the same thing and if an instructor cannot figure out how they work when they see them, then they are not suitable to be instructors...

no argument from me..my comment was in reference to a recent thread where some of our members were calling the i3 a "gimmick" and "dangerous" in a rescue scenario.

I found it odd that anyone would make such comments, especially after admitting to never seeing or using one....you are 100% correct..its not rocket science

I agree with OtherHalf above, having recently over the past couple of days completed the practical side of my Advanced Recreational Trimix course with Coastal Technical Divers in Fujairah, the instructors there are well seasoned technical divers that proactively go out and run expeditions and teach with a strong emphasis on safety.

Their overall experience shows with their teaching skills too which is why I chose them to do this course instead of doing the PADI TEK 40/45/50 route. You pick up a lot of tips from guys like this who are active divers outside of teaching.

Both my buddy and I checked them out a couple of months ago on dive trip to one of the wrecks, and we were suitably impressed by how they operate to make the decision to take this course after several discussions with the owner.

I believe all instructors should be vetted by their students to ensure that they can deliver what they say they can and personal references count a lot too, bit like sending your cv to a prospective new employer.

Some of the operators here may carry all of the essential gear on their boats but I know for sure, their boat crew would have no idea of administering O2 or providing efficient support should something go wrong.

no argument from me..my comment was in reference to a recent thread where some of our members were calling the i3 a "gimmick" and "dangerous" in a rescue scenario.

I found it odd that anyone would make such comments, especially after admitting to never seeing or using one....you are 100% correct..its not rocket science

It's potentially dangerous if you don't know how it works, only because it can hamper the rescue. On the other hand, it isn't any more dangerous than anything else you attempt to do that you're undertrained for, and it's not the equipment that's dangerous in any case ... it's the lack of knowledge and preparedness to do what you're trying to do.

On the one hand, it's hard to have standardized procedures without standardized equipment, and there are few standards associated with scuba diving in general. On the other hand, I kind of prefer it that way ... diving's one of the last bastions of choice and personal responsibility left in our lives. It's incumbent on each of us to gain the knowledge and skills sufficient to achieve and perform at our desired level ... and that is, after all, the whole point of this thread. You can't teach what you don't know ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OK I am pleading ignorance in regards to the i3. Please someone give me the Cliff Notes version about this piece of gear.

Its the goofy inflation system that Aqualung put on their Diva BCD a few years back (and have expanded since) - LPI hose connects down where the weight pockets would be.

Roger that. Thank you!!

One of the things we do in cave training is to have each person review each other persons' gear configuration before we get in the water.

This type review would do away with that particular problem with the i3 IMO.

No standard inflator. It has a lever down on the left hand side of the bc that works a series of internal push rods (that the diver does not have access to) in order to open and close valves to add and dump air. Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Personal and Professional Use - Axiom i3

The alternate is a tube tucked up under a cover that is pulled out to inflate the BC orally should the lever fail or be inaccessible. According to this promo the lever rests where your hand normally would Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Personal and Professional Use - The i3 Control System . Although I never rest my hand down there and can't recall seeing anyone else do so either.

My objections stem from the fact that it adds a level of unnecessary complexity. Especially in a rescue situation for divers who have never seen one. What most people seem to get confused about it they think that a buddy check is going to make things ok. The fact is though in a number of cases the person(s) coming to a divers aid were not the dive buddy and so had no idea what type of BC the person in distress was using. All they know when they attempt to bring them up from the bottom or help them get positive on the surface is that there is no hose going over the left shoulder to follow and inflate the BC with. Should they need to vent air or add it to the victims BC they have to reach down and around feeling for a lever. One that they don't know exists or maybe even how it operates. Push or pull in the wrong direction on a struggling diver and you have the makings of a very bad time.

Then comes the issue of maintenance. I found the Aqualung Master parts catalog but there is not a schematic of the rod system and rinsing the mechanism is not clear. Not that I care as I will never have one but it would be nice if you are going to talk with students about maintaining gear to know what to look for if there is a problem. Other than the "take it to your local dealer for service" line that often is the answer to a question.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2014 at 09:35 AM ----------

Roger that. Thank you!!

One of the things we do in cave training is to have each person review each other persons' gear configuration before we get in the water.

I do the same thing with classes from OW on up. These are the guidelines I use. You may recognize them:wink:. I did reword them a little to suit my recreational classes but they came from Tom's book and are always noted as that being the source on all my materials.

1. Safe and Reliable
  2. Comfortable and Well Fitting
  3. Provide for adequate redundancy without being excessive.
  4. Configured for self-sufficiency and self-rescue
  5. Simple and Streamlined
  6. All accessories and valves easily reachable
  7. Allows for Buddy Assist and Rescue
  8. Has a Low Drag Profile- Streamlined
  9. Adaptable to the Divers Needs
  10. Adaptable to the Diver’s Objective
  11. All Equipment Identifiable by Touch and Location
  12. Standardized with Fellow Divers Yet Versatile to Meet the Needs of the User
  13. Equipment Placement is balanced and Instinctive
  14. Any Changes have been made Gradually and with Careful Thought
  15. Diver is open to Improvement to his/her Setup
  16. All Cylinders are Properly Labeled with the Gas Mixture, MOD, and the Divers Name

Roger that. Thank you!!

I also remember where you required each of us to tell you why we made the configuration choices we made ... I now do that with my students as well. It exposes a lot of weaknesses in configuration decisions ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom