insurance for flooded camera replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandie

Reaction score
I read a suggestion on some thread suggesting insurance for replacement camera and housing, (in case the camera is discontinued, and replacement requires a different housing). Is there such an insurance, and how much does it cost?!!!

sandie once bubbled...
I read a suggestion on some thread suggesting insurance for replacement camera and housing, (in case the camera is discontinued, and replacement requires a different housing). Is there such an insurance, and how much does it cost?!!!

Are you talking about D.E.P.P. Insurance coverage? I have their policy. If my camera is ruined in some way, it can't be replaced because it is out of production. They will either try to find me a refurbished one or give me the option of upgrading, which I'll pay the difference.

If I upgrade, I'll need a new housing but they are NOT going to cover that.

Check them out... D.E.P.P.

Dee, do you know how this coverage compares to the equipment insurance available through the DAN site? For cameras, housings, as well as general scuba equipment.

I don't want to have my wifes camera flooded again but I want some type (preferably the best for the buck) of coverage before she sticks her C5050 in the water.

Thanks, Jim

plsdiver4377 once bubbled...
Dee, do you know how this coverage compares to the equipment insurance available through the DAN site? For cameras, housings, as well as general scuba equipment.

I don't want to have my wifes camera flooded again but I want some type (preferably the best for the buck) of coverage before she sticks her C5050 in the water.

Thanks, Jim

Have you done a search for flood insurance? We had a discussion not too long ago where someone (DocV?) provided a comparison of the two for prices and coverage.

IIRC, DAN's O2 coverage charges more deductable and higher premiums but pays off in cash. DEPP requires scuba gear to be covered as well as cameras, they either repair or replace your gear (scuba and camera) with an option to upgrade and pay the difference. They have cheaper premiums and deductables. But hold my memory to this! Do that search and find out for sure.

I've been using DEPP for years, with several claims, with perfect satisfaction.

Did you find out WHY your wife's camera flooded? Floods are usually operator error! Make sure she knows the proper way to maintain o-rings and such and that she takes her time in preparing her camera gear. Every problem I have had that wasn't an accident or equipment failure has been Idiot Operator Syndrome! :D

Dee:
for DEPP policy,if I understand this right, for flood insurance, I would only need to insure one BC, one reg, a camera and a strobe. I assume that there is no point in listing the housing under the flood coverage since your Olympus and my Ikelite housing has no electronic that would get ruined if they flood.
The housing probably should only need the regular coverage eg accidental damage, thief etc.

Dee once bubbled...

Have you done a search for flood insurance? We had a discussion not too long ago where someone (DocV?) provided a comparison of the two for prices and coverage.

IIRC, DAN's O2 coverage charges more deductable and higher premiums but pays off in cash. DEPP requires scuba gear to be covered as well as cameras, they either repair or replace your gear (scuba and camera) with an option to upgrade and pay the difference. They have cheaper premiums and deductables. But hold my memory to this! Do that search and find out for sure.

I've been using DEPP for years, with several claims, with perfect satisfaction.

Did you find out WHY your wife's camera flooded? Floods are usually operator error! Make sure she knows the proper way to maintain o-rings and such and that she takes her time in preparing her camera gear. Every problem I have had that wasn't an accident or equipment failure has been Idiot Operator Syndrome! :D

Thanks Dee, and I did find where the leak was. It turned out to be a crack in the housing near the hinge (bought it used) which just goes to show that you get what you pay for most of the time.:(

sandie once bubbled...
I read a suggestion on some thread suggesting insurance for replacement camera and housing, (in case the camera is discontinued, and replacement requires a different housing).

The thread said the housing was covered for when the camera was no longer available, and the new model did not fit the old housing. It said the new housing/camera were both covered....

Hello,

Even with a non-electrical housing like ikelite it's listed as floodable equipment. You have the mechanical portion and that will need servicing after a flood. You have the mechanical knobs/levers plus the glands that need to be replaced something like every 3-5 years of use. An overhaul of an ikelite housing is several hundred dollars depending on the model. Yes you should list it under floodable insurance.

One thing that has yet to be listed is home owners insurance.

Ed

ssra30 once bubbled...
Dee:
for DEPP policy,if I understand this right, for flood insurance, I would only need to insure one BC, one reg, a camera and a strobe. I assume that there is no point in listing the housing under the flood coverage since your Olympus and my Ikelite housing has no electronic that would get ruined if they flood.
The housing probably should only need the regular coverage eg accidental damage, thief etc.

Yeah, I think you're right. It's only the very basics. And they will work with you on that, for instance if you rent your basic gear but own others.

I don't have my PT-10 housing covered for flooding. Mainly as you mentioned because there's nothing mechanical to it. But also I would have to send it back to Japan for service and for the price it would just be easier to replace it. However, now that the PT-10 has been discontinued, I may need to look for a back-up! If I had an Ikelite, I wouldn't worry about it.

thanks Dee for the comment on the housing. I was kind of debating about that.

Sandie, since I also have an Oly 4040 which is discountinued. Let say that if it floods (hopefully not) and I upgrade to an Oly 5050, do I need to have the Ikelite housing scheduled under flood policy as well in order for them to replace both? Anyone know this for sure? I sent some e-mail to DEPP to clarify some of these questions but they have been silenced so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom