integrated octo with inflator - opinions sought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few things.. tusa dosent make the air2, scubapro does.. tusa make a duo-air.. also.. you dont have to cover the exhaust valve to manually inflate your bc.. dont know where you heard that at.. and why not use your primary to inflate a lift bag.. and im not padi so I really could care less what there book says.. I have seen many, many flawed things that padi divers do.. like I said before.. to each is own.. I have a air2 and I will never dive without one..

Forgot to mention something.. Yes it does take more to breath from the air2.. if you knew anything about regulators you would know that it is because it is de-tuned alot.. makes it a hell of alot harder to freeze it that way.. also will not freeflow on your bc.. An air2 is not ment to be a great regulator.. but it does do its purpose.. And I cant believe that anyone would wrap a regulator hose around there neck.. im kinda getting to not like this dir stuff everyone talks about..

Guess what I'm getting at is it doesn't qualify as a safe second to me. You wouldn't put an air2 or duo air on your pony and call it a redundant system would you?

Originally posted by Corsair
Guess what I'm getting at is it doesn't qualify as a safe second to me. You wouldn't put an air2 or duo air on your pony and call it a redundant system would you?

You missed the point im trying to make.. If you want another regulator on your primary.. fine.. your choice.. You need a power inflator to inflate your blatter.. there needs to be a hose going from the first stage to the power inflator.. why not be able to breathe from it also.. if it has to be there why not put it to even better use.. not I wouldnt put a air2 on my pony.. my pony doesnt have to inflate anything.. thats why..

tgreaves....yes, it's the duo-air, but that's mincing words...though I got the name wrong, the pricinciple and my opinion remain.

If you read my post again, I did use my primary to inflate the lift bag, thus providing me the chance to evaluate the duo-air.

As far as covering the exhaust to inflate your BC orally, I didn't hear that, [red]I experienced that![/red] And I always orally inflate when at the surface at the end of the dive to conserve air incase a shallow swim back to the boat is warranted.

And you stated my entire point yourself, "An air2 is not ment [sic] to be a great regulator." If I am involved in an Out of Air emergency, or my primary reg packs up, why would I want a seriously detuned regulator? I want to be darn certain that I will get the same performance with my secondary as with my primary, no matter where I am. The Air2 (or it's clone) doesn't deliver to my satisfaction.

Another way to prove my point my observation of the very seasoned divers and divemasters I am hanging around and learning with. None of them use it. They all have a medium performance reg bungeed around their neck. So that should say something as well.

I guess its just personal preferance then.. I dive with a bunch of master divers and instructors, They all have air2's.. My point again is if you have to have a power inflator there.. why not be able to breathe from it also.. I do not use but am not against a secound regulator on a primary first stage..

Corsair-

You are 100% correct. You NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give your Air2 to your buddy. Why would you give your inflator to someone having an out of air emergency? PADI, and I believe all the others, teach you to give up your primary reg when in a shared air situation with an integrated inflator/secondary. Personally, I like the Air2. But that's my opinion. I say dive what gives you confidence. If you're going to worry about the Air2 then go with an octo.

kcDiver

My vote goes against combined inflator regs for the very simple reason, that they are not that nice to use, and are very restrictive.

Immagine the situation: - buddy has your main reg, you have the combined inflator/reg in your mouth, and you now start to ascend. Buddy is infront and slightly to your right, holding your right BCD shoulder strap, and you hold their right BCD shoulder strap.

In this position, you have one hand free (left) to sort out everything. The big disadvantage now, is that with the hose coming over your left shoulder you can't look at your buddy because the inflator hose is too short. You can look almost straight ahead, but now way can you look to the right. As you ascend you also *have* to take the inflator out of your mouth to dump air, because you can't get your left hand easily to the dump valve on your right shoulder (and you have to either raise and push the valve to dump or pull), then after dumping you have to put it back in again, purge, breath, take it out, dump etc.......... The only time you can look *directly* at your buddy is when the reg/inflator is out of your mouth.

Lesson# 1 from rescue / DM course - EYE CONTACT!! in an emergency situation eye contact with the 'victim' is one of your best tools.

For the average diver I think this is too much task loading. Put the standard octo in, and everything else works as normal.

Just the reason behind my .02

Jon T

Originally posted by kcDiver
Corsair-

You are 100% correct. You NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give your Air2 to your buddy. Why would you give your inflator to someone having an out of air emergency? PADI, and I believe all the others, teach you to give up your primary reg when in a shared air situation with an integrated inflator/secondary. Personally, I like the Air2. But that's my opinion. I say dive what gives you confidence. If you're going to worry about the Air2 then go with an octo.

kcDiver

Thank you.. The point i was trying to make..

I tried a Zeagle octo/inflator when I was very new to diving. Hated it, my thumb always got in the way of the exhaust. Took it off and put a regular inflator and then bought a Sherwood Shadow Plus. This gives me the seperate octo yet it is on the inflator line. Much more confortable to deal with. Close to my mouth if needed, yet doesn't interfere with my inflator. If you want to get rid of a hose but don't like the inflator/octo combination then check something like this out.

By the way, the Zeagle is for sale.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom