Interested in doing some cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The number of dives when you are ready to start a cave course is difficult to say. Agencies have written most times about 100 dives for full cave. But some divers can, most not. It all depends on the diver. A diver who has never learned any finkicks is not ready. A diver who directly learned frogkicks, dive hogarthian, and so on can be ready. But if the ts has only 24 dives, that is not enough. For a cavern programm it is most times enough if you read standards, but always an instructor can decide not to do. As I said it all depends on the diver. But you need to have a good trim and bouyancy already. And the aow cert is required too.
I had 370 dives when I started my full cave course as first technical diving course (I had finished an art course with twinset). My friend had around 250 dives with just an aow+ nitrox cert. For her it was much more difficult to do the full course (we did zero to hero in 8 days), because she came from sportsdiving and started diving twinsets after signing up for the course (we had 6 months to practise), so she had twinset/hogarthian/frogkick experience when we started the course. But it was without an instructor to help us. She was already used to dive frogkick and helicopterturns and so on.

With 24 dives doing aow, nitrox and then cavern is normally possible if you do some fundives between courses too. I did not check your number of dives, just read ow cert. And maybe you can start diving a twinset if full cave is the endpoint. But 12 dives a year is not enough to become an experienced techdiver. you have to dive more. But it is not too early to ask if you have whishes for the future. Better learn things now directly right than later. Maybe it takes years for you to become a full cave diver, but if you want it is possible.
Gue must fit you. But there are other good training agencies too, like iantd, tdi, nacd, nss-cds. Choose what you fit.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. I originally got my OW cert about 10 years ago after which i completed about 30-40 dives over a two year period. Then other commitments and moving cities made it difficult to dive so I took a 5-6 year hiatus. Two years ago I did an OW refresher and have since only completed about 20 dives. Pretty keen to get in a few more dives and the idea of exploring caves does interest me. I sounds like I need a fair bit more experience under my belt and AOW and Nitrox course too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom