Interesting dive yesterday in Venice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went out to the bone yard dropped down at 27 feet.
Nornal dive "right". Not this time. I was in the middle of a school of 3 and 4 foot Baracudas. Now normaly they don't bother me but these guys seemed to have a special interest in me.
No matter where I went they followed and circled me getting closer each time. I'd go up so did they I go down and so did they. After about 10 min. I said OK you can have this spot . I went up and they followed me all the way up to the surface. Took me gear off climbed back in the kayak and went elsewhere. Didn't find any teeth on this day.

Didnt happen to have a can of catfood in your pocket did you? A wetsuit that smelled like a can of catfood? :wink:

Well, thats a different dive for VB... an experience you wont soon forget :D

Went out to the bone yard dropped down at 27 feet.
Nornal dive "right". Not this time. I was in the middle of a school of 3 and 4 foot Baracudas. Now normaly they don't bother me but these guys seemed to have a special interest in me.
No matter where I went they followed and circled me getting closer each time. I'd go up so did they I go down and so did they. After about 10 min. I said OK you can have this spot . I went up and they followed me all the way up to the surface. Took me gear off climbed back in the kayak and went elsewhere. Didn't find any teeth on this day.

I have had this happen everytime with my limited experience diving reefs and a wreck. The smaller barracuda followed me like baby ducks. The bigger great barracuda didn't give me a second glance.

About a month ago, we had a large Baracuda visit us off of Alhambra. He did a couple of laps arounds us & then proceeded to hang within 1 foot of me. I stayed still & he continued to drift closer. Finally I turned my back on him & swam away. He did one more lap & then left. This was in about 20 ft.

I've dove around 200 times in Venice and this was a first for me and that there were several there and there wasn't any structure around kinda surprised me. I've had sharks swim 18 inches along side of me and it didn't bother me. These guys made me pay attention to them.
Made for an interesting dive.

And if it was me, the water temp would have risen several degrees! lol. But I bet it was a thrill for the moment. I just get those goofey tag along fish that seem to like my legs. They will follow me right up to the surface. But tickles like mad as they swim under me lol. I keep thinking, hey im not a big fish get off!

Hello from Sarasota. Have had big Cudas follow me for almost a whole dive, changing color from silver to black, looking threatening, over by Palm Beach. Have been a school of hundreds of big ones at the Blue Corner in Palau, hanging out in that one spot. Sometimes they are curious, but I don't know of anytime they attacked a diver, unless murky water and a hand was exposed out of a suit, i.e. case of mistaken identity. A lot of cuda have been to school - they know a diver might be spearing a fish, so they just hang around, waiting for a free meal. I just got my first kayak for purpose of diving from shore, but been a diver a long time. Hoping to do some spearing from the yak, but haven't seen any fish worth bringin home so far. I would not spear in front of a cuda. Been there done that. Never got a fish to the boat before it was taken from me. Spearing with a buddy or two might help that scenario I suppose. Will in Sarasota

I was looking for lobsters in Pompano a few months back and one about 4 feet long took a swipe at he shiny little aluminum carapice measuring thing attached to my tickle stick. It came from behind and suddenly every one of the hundreds of little fish in front of us scattered all at once. After it missed it just turned around and stared at us for a couple minutes. I guess he was trying to decide whther to take a second shot at it. Iv'e never seen one in Venice though.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom