Interesting thoughts on safe buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That being said, many UW photographers enjoy the solitude of solo diving. That's fine, too.

I'm one of them ... for the past couple years I've done most of my photography dives solo.

However, if you're going that route, please get some solo training, either by taking a course or by learning from other solo divers how to properly prepare yourself.

There's another article on my website on solo diving that can help get you started.

Also be aware that a lot of dive charters simply won't let you dive solo ... no matter what your qualifications happen to be.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Shameless promotion, Bob. :wink:

I wrote those articles to share ... many were posted here on ScubaBoard before I ever put them on my website. The reason I send people there is because threads here get buried so fast they're hard to find after a few months ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I like diving with photographers. They are slow and methodical, forcing me to really concentrate on my trim and hover techniques. Not to mention they can hook me up with some cool photos of myself underwater. But you gotta know that they're there for photography so yes, their concentrations aren't 100% on you.

It's about communication. I went on 2 dives with a buddy. The first one he didn't even realize I was with him. I spent most of the time just trailing and trying to keep up. At one point I had to work EXTREMELY hard to keep up and had to stop because I had no more kick left in me. Once we surfaced we chatted and worked out a better plan, new signals and let each other know what we wanted to get out of the dive. We got caught in a drift and didn't even know it, so ended up what seemed like 400 yards from our boat. We just worked together and made it back.

When you both are responsible and have the same goals on the dive you are going to have a good time. There's no harm in saying "I'd prefer being within 10 feet and checking in frequently" and if those conditions aren't able to be met... well hey the dive may not work out

I completely agree that being a good buddy involves good communication both in and out of the water. However it also requires the ability to compromise. i read numerous complaints about "insta-buddies" a term I find rather insulting. If I go on a trip without a buddy then I am also somebodies insta-buddy and it is only reasonable if I want the buddy to respect my diving style that I extend him/her the same respect. A chat before the first dive will usually allow a mutually agreeable plan to be formed and an informal debrief afterwards will help make subsequent dives easier.
I, like some other posters, quite like to buddy with photographers. I like to slowly bimble along looking at things and actually enjoy hunting for potential subjects.

In photography the truly memorable photos, over the years, are usually a combination of time, place, luck of subject and the ability to pick it out of the whole. Land photographers tend to do the same thing, getting lost in the details of photography and missing the great shots that happen by.

I'd rather look around, and if something appears pull out a camera, take one shot as best I can, then watch or move on.
Do you have a link to your portfolio? The photographers I have seen and am acquainted with are doing pretty much the exact opposite of this, so if you are getting great underwater shots or great wildlife shots on land using this technique I'll be impressed.

It's nice to hear that she was attentive and likely well trained buddy :)

Rick Inman .. It's good to hear a critic of ones diving from someones who's opinion you respect. I appreciate it, makes me strive to be better (even better when they say you did good in some area :) )

I enjoy a polite post-dive debrief as well.

Years ago when I was first getting back into diving, one of the senior members of this board, and an excellent diver, was kind enough to dive with me when I drove over to Puget Sound. He had no problem politely looking me right in the eyes after a dive and saying something like, "You need to learn to frog kick because you're silting up the site for all the other divers," or, one time, "Your position is too far back and above me. You need to swim side-by-side with me for better buddy position."

I never questioned that he was anything but caring for my diving skills and trying to help me, and I appreciated the help so very much! To this day after a dive I'll ask whoever my buddy is for feedback. And I try to politely do the same for my buddy.

Sometimes as new buddies we don't say anything in an attempt to be nice, but sometimes polite feedback is appreciated.
This is a great idea. One I will try to use especially when diving multiple dives. I recently had a small issue in Cozumel that I think this would have resolved.

With only a handful of dives under my belt, most of the divers I dive with have more experience than me. That being said, i usually feel very confident with those I dive with. Communication that goes beyond the predive safety check is great and is a habit I plan to keep.

sorry i had to edit this one, but was she hot?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom