interests...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive for a couple of reasons. Grew up out in the Bay which I guess is where I got my love of the water ( my family is filled with watermen). Then when Iw as snorkeling off of mexico, I saw this beautiful loggerhead turtle. I swam alongside it but it dove deep and I couldn't follow it. Then I saw pictures of whale sharks...and that is my ultimate goal and the last thing that spurred me to become a diver. I want to dive the Galapagos and swim with a whale shark!

diverlady once bubbled...
I went on a cruise with a girlfriend (my first warmer climes trip) and she wanted to go snorkelling which I had never done before so I thought sure why not.

Well, as soon as I saw the underwater world I decided I needed to be down there!!

As soon as I got back home, I signed up for scuba class (without ever actually trying it) and never looked back. :)

...oh how similar our stories are...

For me it was a cruise with my wife, son, and our Parents (wanted to do something nice for them), to the Bahamas. My wife had bugged me for years to get certified, but it wasn't until we went out on the snorkeling adventure that I was hooked on the beauty of the sea. The crystal clear waters, the colorful sea-life, and the thrill to be there and "weightless" in beautiful warm water. My son and I both signed up within 12 hours of our return home (Bill Jacksons Dive Shop) and the rest has been an obsession! Thank God I did not wait any longer to discover how to really live and experience life. Now I need to figure out how to "Live to Dive... Dive to live!"

Scuba obsession isn't the cheapest obsession around.., but, it's damn fun. :D

We had a scheduled trip back to the Florida keys and I got the crazy idea of seeing a "different" part of the keys we hadn't seen the first time, namely the underwater part. That got us into our OW cert. We didn't quite count on the "addiction" part :). Now we will be planning all future vacation locales around "howz the diving" :) :)

She got me to get certified...best thing that ever came out of any relationship I have ever had.. :)

i grew up in Colorado, not many divers in my small mountain town. but i always thought that breathin underwater was the most interesting thing. i loved reading about shipwrecks and saw pictures of divers in National Geographic. i wanted to be able to visit shipwrecks myself. its like visiting history.

I had grown up watching Sea Hunt and National Geographic and was facinated by the ocean. But with no 'water people' in my family there was no exposure to scuba diving other than it was a man's sport and too dangerous for a girl.

Fast forward 30+ years....Beast worked with a guy who was a Divemaster and wanted him to get certified to have a dive buddy. After listening to dive stories to the Caribbean, Beast came home and announced "Guess what we're gonna do!" I wasn't so sure about this! Although I had dreamed of seeing those underwater things myself, I was 40 yrs old, a bit overweight...and a girl! Of course it didn't take long to over come all that. In fact, scuba diving saved me from middle age! We were both obsessed and continued our training the next couple of years together to Divemaster.

Must be beacuse I'm a Pisces. Not just one fish but two!!!

I have always been fascinated by the ocean. Snorkling was great but didn't quite fill the entire desire. I used to be a "big gal" and always told myself that when I lost the weight, I'd SCUBA. Now that I have lost the weight, and found a permanant dive buddy, I am addicted!!! And living on the east coast of FL, it seems like it should be a law or something!!! LOL

Laurel- The Frog Queen
:royal:

I've always wanted to try scuba diving, and the opportunity came when my good friend became an instructor and put up a dive shop. He took me on a "discover scuba" dive for free. I was really awed by the experience, so I immediately signed up for the O.W. course.

:)

Back
Top Bottom