Intro cave limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
Can we get a good "cave fill" on them?

one great thing about diving in this area is that all the shops do "cave fills"
as a matter of course... it's not a big deal at all

i can get my LP85's up to 3600 psi if i want to, though i usually
jus ask for 3400

H2Andy:
the Devil's system isn't too deep in our range... we're talking less than 80
feet

(Ginnie and Devil's both empty into the Santa Fe River, and are in the
same complex... you pay for both when you come in)

Ginnie can get as deep as 100+ in some spots esp if the river level is up

wedivebc:
What size tanks will I want to rent for a decent dive? I notice Andy likes the 85s. Thats what I dive at home. Can we get a good "cave fill" on them?

You'll want to dive the same tanks your buddies are diving. If you have a .4 SAC and are diving 85's but your buddy has a .8 SAC and is diving on 130's, he's got to do his turn pressure based on *your* tanks (he can't use a full third/sixth of his tanks since if the cave monster eats his tanks, you both have to make it out on yours).

It seems like 104's/130's are the most popular tanks for cave diving so next time you're blowing money on tanks, I'd go with them.

And I can't imagine you having a hard time getting some LP tanks up to 3600.

J.D. MISLAK:
Ginnie can get as deep as 100+ in some spots esp if the river level is up

within 1/6 of double 85's from the entrance(s)? remember, my statement
was that it was under 80 within our range (i.e. 1/6 of LP 85's)

i need to recheck my logbook, but i don't think it gets deep that early

loosebits:
It seems like 104's/130's are the most popular tanks for cave diving so next time you're blowing money on tanks, I'd go with them.

Thanks for the advice but honestly the next set of doubles I buy will have a megaladon scrubber in between them.:D

Will this be your first time in a high flow cave? If so, I doubt you'll get much past 70ft before you hit your turn pressure. :D

wedivebc,

When you come down let me know I might be able to get a dive or two in with you. The reasons for The single tank at the Intro level to to limit the penetration of the diver and also the deco possibilities. The diver at this level needs to develop awareness. Many instructors have no problems with teaching their students wearing dbls because it allows for them to do so much more in a day and the student gets use to them. A large single can have more gas at 1/3's then a set of smaller dbls at 1/6.
Ginnie is a high flow system much different then what you would have seen in Mexico. The depth does get down to 100 + on average once a diver gets past the lips and the corn flakes. Ginnie is protecting themselves from a liability point of view hence their comments to you and they are correct to do so. There have been times that the Staff at Ginnie, Peacock have asked to verify certs and to see if a diver was diving under instruction. When you go fishing you don't catch all the fish inthe sea but they catch a few. Welcome to the cave world

H2Andy:
within 1/6 of double 85's from the entrance(s)? remember, my statement
was that it was under 80 within our range (i.e. 1/6 of LP 85's)

i need to recheck my logbook, but i don't think it gets deep that early

ok, i checked my logbook, and up to the Cornflakes (the extent of my range on 1/6
85's ) the max depth i've seen in 73 feet

H2Andy:
yeah, up to the Cornflakes (the extent of my range on 1/6ths) the max
depth i've seen in 73 feet

Andy,

Is that just to the exit side of the cornflakes, or on to the far side?

Mark Vlahos

i turned the dive pretty much as we got to the Cornflakes...

i wish my air consuption were better.

in my defense, the current was something fierce back then, with all the rain...

(excuses, excuses)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom