Question Is a Mk25 overkill for recreational tropical water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both and use both the Mk25 and Mk2. I prefer the Mk25 and S600 to the Mk2 and G250, just more comfortable. I use the Mk2 and G250 on the pony now when I need redundant gas. Both are solid and will last a lifetime, I just prefer one over the other. You may only dive warm water now, but maybe not always.
The mk25 is no better or worse than many other first stages.

The mk25 is no better or worse than many other first stages.
That is a very dismissive and inaccurate answer. Just not helpful as it adds no value to the OP.

The Mk25 is better than many other 1st stages and perhaps not as good as a few.

That is a very dismissive and inaccurate answer. Just not helpful as it adds no value to the OP.

The Mk25 is better than many other 1st stages and perhaps not as good as a few.
Which ones?

One more note that I neglected to mention in my prior post...

I see very poor value for money in the cost vs. benefit of titanium regulator components.

This is purely my opinion, but the tremendous up-charge for titanium simply cannot be justified by the performance benefits, i.e. weight reduction and corrosion resistance. The weight reduction is negligible and can barely be felt in the water. The corrosion resistance is more a hypothetical benefit than a practical one because even in their chromed brass and stainless iterations, most top line regs will last you a lifetime with proper care and maintenance.

Also, Ti is not O2 compatible, though that's not likely a factor in the OP's consideration.

When it comes to breathing, there is no "overkill".

As with all Scuba equipment, it comes down to fit and comfort. If you like how it breathes, then it's the right reg for you. I don't have a problem with any reg produced this century. They all breathe well. In fact, I can't remember over-breathing any of them, and I've dove more than a few. I prefer the fit of the Dive Rite and Deep Six regs. I just love the hose routing I get from them both back and side mounted. However, nothing fits my rebreather like an Apex reg. Add a touch of helium to the mix, and they all breathe more easily than I need.

For the type of diving you are describing, I agree a Mk 2 is sufficient. I would pair it with a balanced 2nd stage, like a G250/260/500, and call it a near perfect warm water recreational rig.

No, that will make it expensive not to justify it at all.

MK25 is great and you will never look back wondering. The NEW MK11 Evo is great also. MK17 is an in between and is sealed. The price difference between an MK17 with C370 second stage and the MK11 and C370 is only few Euros and shouldn't make a big difference at all.

I'd go with M25 myself if money is not an issue but most definitely the MK17 with C370 if not the MK25.

Forgot, there is also the MK19 first stage.

i own two sets of mk25 regs. i bought them to use diving side mount. they are good regs. most regs are.

however, if it was me, and i was buying a single set for recreational ocean diving, i would be buying a sealed reg set instead.

I have no opinion on what Scuba Pro regs you would want as I have never dived any of them. The only thing I will tell you is that I have never been on any dive, shallow or not, and thought to myself "gee, I wish I had a cheaper regulator".
Have fun, enjoy your dives.

Too heavy? Compared to what? So you can buy a regulator that is 4 ounces lighter or 4 ounces heavier. Not a serious consideration unless you are trying to save money on postage.
MK11T.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom