Is a passport needed in Coz.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwhef

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. Heading to Cozumel for a week soon and need to know if a passport is needed coming and going to U.S. or will birth certificate do. Thanks in advance.

I was told by an Immigrations agent that Passports will even be needed to go to and return from Canada and Mexico. These changes will be made in 2003 so get your passport soon.

Hi, dwhef!

Make certain that your BC (birth certificate) is not just a "souvenir" one given to parents by the hospital. It has to be an official one with the embossed governmental stamp on it. A "souvenir' BC may work to get you into Mexico(I do not really think so, though!), but it will not get you back home! Also, most airlines want to see your proof of citizenship when you check in. A "souvenir" BC will not likely be accepted.

You can get a passport on a speedy basis by going to the nearest passport office. It can take a week or less, but you must pay extra for the priviledge. Here, too, you will probably need an official BC.

Hope this helps,

Scorpionfish

If you have or can get a passport in time, do so, it's easier.

I was traveling on Continential from Houston:
The two times I have gone to Cozumel (once before 9/11 and once after) anyone with a birth certificate had to go back to the main terminal to the Continential Main desk and get a sworn affidavid (sp?) from the main counter.

How it's actually carried out I do not know, as I didn't think you could do that without a member of the court present, but they made people do it. One couple almost missed the plane when they had to run down and do it during pre-board.

If you don't have time to get a passport, get to the airport the 2 hours early required for international flights and check at the main desk about it. If you have a connection in Houston check AGAIN there, otherwise you may be trying to get on the plane when they refuse to let you on EVEN if you told them at your original destination.

When you travel to Cancun, there are 2 lines to get through Immigr. One is f/ birth certificates & will take you a min. of 30 minutes, usually longer. The other one is for passports & the wait is about half the wait time of the birth certificate line.

I applied for my passport at the local Post Office. The hardest part about it was the cost:D But in all seriousness, I think it's worth every penny.

If you are a traveler, I think it pays to invest in the time to getting a passport. It is peace of mind. Less worries. Once you apply for one, it only takes a couple of weeks to have it sent to you. Very easy.
sharkman
:guitar:

Back
Top Bottom