Is Air Integration THAT important?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW - I think you will be very happy with a Suunto. Their products are excellent. You can also change out the battery instead of sending it in to Uwatec.

thats a very good point... ive been told how much it costs just to change the battery, and I couldnt believe how much it cost.... the user replaceable battery is a very nice feature...

I have a Cobra. So far I like it VERY well. Like the others said, nice to have it all in one place.

OE2X:
A couple of years ago I got a AI Uwatec NitroxZ. I used it for a few dives. Then I got an SPG and took off the AI feature. Now I use the computer only as a bottom timer and depth gauge. Wish I had saved the money in the first place.
OTOH, don't underestimate OE2X's advice. If you decide to go tech the Cobra could be a liability (and a really expensive one at that). If you get into all the mixed gas stuff, its not gonna cut it, and the fact is it won't even be that great of a bottom timer.

But still its a really nice recreational computer.

Stryker:
thats a very good point... ive been told how much it costs just to change the battery, and I couldnt believe how much it cost.... the user replaceable battery is a very nice feature...
If you buy from a Scubapro dealer, they will change the batteries on your Uwatec computer for you for free, for life. So its not quite as bad as it sounds.

Why do you feel it would not be good for tech? I am looking to getting into cave and wreck diving, and want something I can grow into....

Stryker:
Why do you feel it would not be good for tech? I am looking to getting into cave and wreck diving, and want something I can grow into....

Definitely get the wrist mounted Vyper. When you get into more serious cave and wreck diving you can set it into gauge mode, and you won't have a console presenting an entaglement hazard.

But what about the SPG? it is still the same number of hoses coming off the 1st stage correct? Or is the SPG not as big of a factor in Tech diving as is bottom timer and deco timer?

The tech divers all use an SPG on a short hp hose, usually just long enough to clip to their waist. No consoles. Their computer or bottom timer is usually wrist mounted. At that level its all about streamlining and avoiding anything that could cause an entanglement. Check the Hogartian and DIR forums.

Maybe look a little harder at the Vytec (or the cheaper non-AI Vyper) if you are really serious about the tech route. If you know now who your tech instructor will be later, maybe ask them for input.

That makes more sense... so the SPG isnt necessarily a primary gauge in tech diving?? I understand it is very important, but you keep it clipped to the belt because the bottom timer/depth gauge/temp is most important? I just want to make sure I dont sell myself short with a computer... I am pretty sold on the Vyper being that the price is right and it performs all functions I feel I would need in an Air/nitrox computer....

I'm sure I'm screwing this up b/c I'm not Hogarthian/DIR.

The SPG *is* most important but requires a hose to your SPG for the least possibility of failure. Those guys don't trust radio waves and electronics or batteries or... if they don't have to.

What you'd do is to unclip the SPG to check it and clip it off again until the next time you checked it. The thing to avoid for those environments is the danglies, anything that could snag something could kill you, so they avoid snag points at all cost. Consoles and loose octos and long BC inflators are all bad from that perspective.

If you´re going to "go tech" (pretty much regardless of agency/instructor), as St Somewhere said, console is a pretty big no no. I wouldn´t rely on an AI for my safety, if you feel differently, then that is ultimately your decision to make and I whish you good luck with it. I have a Vyper and love it and for those deeper/longer dives you just put it in gauge mode and dive away, IMO, its a great comp and a lot of bang for your buck...

Back
Top Bottom