Is Air Integration THAT important?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian:
Unfortunately, none of those mixes include Helium. I if you are using a Suunto Computer and plan to go to one that will have to go gauge mode in any case, the VyTec could safely be considered overkill once you start diving mix.
Yup. And the He mix computers start at, what, about a grand?

BTW, you can still download profiles using any of these computers in gauge mode, but then again you can also download profiles with a $120 Sensus Pro.

I guess its just as easy to buy rec gear that won't be appropriate for tech diving at some later point, as it is to buy tech gear now for where you think you'll be in the future even though you may never actually wind up there.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that if you are diving the computer's defined profile - a.k.a. diving the computer - most AI computers will now adjust you nitrogen loading for the workload of breathing. In other words, if you are breathing heavily you're no decompression times could be shortened or stop times increased.

Uncle Pug:
...snippage...

ditto.

the only thing I'd add to what UP wrote is that I've been diving with other newbie divers with air integration and they tend to get lazy. they don't learn to clip and unclip on the left d-ring and they don't learn good on-the-fly gas management. having to unclip your SPG to figure out your tank pressure teaches you to clip and unclip, it also is such a pain in the *** when you're just learning that you start to figure out how to track and predict your pessure without looking so you don't have to do it as often. so AI may actually cost more money and set you behind for skills.

if you're planning on tech diving at some point all you need is a computer that is:

- wrist mounted
- nitrox
- single gas
- gauge mode
- no AI
- downloadable profiles (nice-to-have)

beyond that the features that you should be looking for are:

- easy to read underwater
- large numbers
- backlight
- easy to use underwater
- default screen gives all important info
- buttons should not need to be pushed during dive
- buttons should be easy to push with gloves on

the problems that i have with the vyper are that the main display:
- gives O2 clock -- unless you're on a liveaboard or are pushing ppO2s it shouldn't
matter -- particularly on-the-fly underwater -- i'd prefer that info on some other screen real
estate
- does not give a seconds tick -- that's the *major* downside of the vyper -- just buy a
waterproof 200m dive watch.
- does not give average depth -- *shrug* i can usually guess pretty close though.

Stryker:
I have been considering dive computers for a few weeks now, and am down to 2 choices -- The Suunto Cobra and the Suunto Vyper.

They pretty much do the exact same thing (from what I get) with the exception of the air integration.... Now my question is, if I pay good attention to my SPG, will I get the same benefit with the Vyper (also saving $200) as with the Cobra?

I am really into the idea of the wrist mount computer, but am not ready to spend $800+ on a hoseless computer... Any objective input would be greatly appreciated...

I narrowed my computer search down to those same two models about a year ago. Actually, I was also looking at the Vytec but decided AI was not something I wanted. I chose the Vyper and never looked back. Wristmount is the way to go, IMHO. Instead of holding your console while ascending, for instance, your info is on your wrist. I use my left hand for my power inflator and watch my depth and time on my right wrist...

it's always easier to glance at your wrist than at your console. The Vyper is a solid and easy to use. Get a download kit and have fun.

BTW - Lamont and Uncle Pug are dead on regarding AI.

StSomewhere:
Yup. And the He mix computers start at, what, about a grand?

BTW, you can still download profiles using any of these computers in gauge mode, but then again you can also download profiles with a $120 Sensus Pro.

I guess its just as easy to buy rec gear that won't be appropriate for tech diving at some later point, as it is to buy tech gear now for where you think you'll be in the future even though you may never actually wind up there.

My point was that if you suspect that you will be diving mix later, my VyTec in gauge mode (as a back-up to my VR3 as I will have tables in my drysuit pocket) is the same as a Vyper in gauge mode and the Vyper will work for any nitrox mix that a recreational diver will plan on diving. I would never suggest buying a He computer first, LOL!

You are correct about the cost of He computers. My VR3 comes in this week and the price is something that I don't wish to think about. :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom