Is Air Integration THAT important?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stryker:
Why do you feel it would not be good for tech? I am looking to getting into cave and wreck diving, and want something I can grow into....
If you are going technical then you will need a different approach than most recreational divers.

My SPG is clipped of on the left waist D-ring where it is out of the way.

I don't need to constantly stare at my spg (or bottom timer/depth gauge) I only need to check it periodically to make sure that things are the way they should be.

My SPG is a backup for my brain. I can call my pressure before even looking at the SPG. When I do look at the SPG it must agree with what my brain tells me or something is wrong: perhaps the left post rolled off or the isolator is closed or there is a leak that I haven't heard and my buddy hasn't noticed, or ?

My depth gauge/bottom timer is on my right wrist so that I can read it even when my left hand is busy with other things. But I only check it periodically as well and know what it will read before looking.

If you are going to be tech diving you probably won't be using a dive computer but rather planning your dives with decompression software and then using a bottom timer/depth gauge.

Personally I don't use a dive computer on any dive... I prefer to keep my poor old brain active and make the dive profile happen the way I want it to look when graphed out later. I do use a Suunto Stinger (in guage mode) for my bottom timer/depth gauge so that I can download the dive log later.

on ascent you need to pay attention to the depth for when you reach the safety stop depth.
TIP: You might find it easier to control your ascent if you use the stuff instead of watching a dive computer and trying to react to the information it displays. You know ~ hysteresis

In your case, you have received good advice. While I use a VyTec, I would easily recommend a Vyper. If you plan at looking at using a computer as a computer, you will be buying one that is overkill for you right now in any case (I am currently waiting for a VR-3 that I just ordered, LOL).

The Vyper is great for what you do and intend on doing. AI? Forget about it. It won't give you the pressure on your stage tanks when you eventually go that route.

I am not quite as good as UP at calling my tank pressure, but I am good enough to tell if something is up when I do occassionally check the gauge. In my case, I sometimes do work underwater (like freeing things up, helping to set lines, etc.) I do tend to use his method (and my ears) to judge ascent rates and come in pretty close to even Suunto's sensitive level alarms without having to stare at the computer.

If I were you, I would go with the Vyper. All of the people that I know that bought a Cobra initially and went into tech (including me), regret buying one. The Cobra is a sweet computer for most of our customers who will never consider tech diving though. So, I can't really complain about them.

Just a thought. Go even cheaper and get an aeris atmos two. Will be a nice computer to get you through your more recreational phase and then later will be a nice bottom timer too. Just another option that will cost alot less than buying a suunto AI computer.

If you're looking at a Vyper, then also check out the Apeks Quantum (aka, Tusa Hunter, Dive Rite Duo). The two computers are very similar in functionality, but I found the user interface on the Quantum to be a little friendlier. It also supports two gas mixes, which is a feature I plan to use. I read the user manuals and dove several times with both computers, as well as other types, before I made my decision to purchase the Quantum.

Stryker,
Personally I dive an air intergrated computer (I like gizmos and gadgets). In my opinion, no, AI is not that important. With the abilities you've developed doing your cross checks, you've already gained the intuitive ability to understand what your various gauges are telling you, singly and in conjunction.

Keep in mind, too, that a dive computer, just like a VSI has a bit of lag in it so upon ascending you may end up "chasing the needle".

Some excellent suggestions here.

the K

StSomewhere:
The VyTec will do 3 gas switches and you can buy it without the AI unit.

Unfortunately, none of those mixes include Helium. I if you are using a Suunto Computer and plan to go to one that will have to go gauge mode in any case, the VyTec could safely be considered overkill once you start diving mix.

Kraken,

Are you saying that the AI computers end up chasing the needle with the tank pressure? or the ascent rate indicator is like the VSI?

The ascent rate indicator.
You start to ascend, get a little fast, then a couple of seconds later the indicator spikes up so you slow down, etc . . .

Kind of like chasing airspeed. Just how much correction do you put in ?????

You know the drill.

Mine's an Oceanic and the psi is right on. I like the download aspects so I can fiddle around with the information.

Keep in mind, I always dive a plan and use the pooter as more of a support/analytical instrument with respect to the A/I feature.

I don't do DIR or Tech (and likely never will), I don't dive mixed gasses, so I don't have a clue what all those technicalities involve. I just dive recreationally at this point in my life, and I wouldn't have an AI computer for anything. IMO, it's an unnecessary redundancy and can be a liability. I pay good money to take dive trips to warm ( and sometimes remote) places, and I don't need the extra headache that can come with putting all my eggs in the same basket.

My wife found out the downside of AI this last week on Little Cayman, when her AI computer sprung a leak on the 3rd dive. Now she has no computer and no SPG. If I lose the computer, I can still dive the tables (with my old analog depth gage and trusty Casio 200m G-Shock) if another computer isn't available from the place I'm diving with. In this case, it just cost us an extra $150 for the week for her to use a rental reg and computer. But we have been places where she'd have been out of luck. She would have just had to stick close by me for the rest of the trip. Not a great solution, but we know that I use air faster than she does, and I always dive a conservative profile, so we could get by. She decided that she is definitely not going to buy another AI computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom