Is Bag Balm/Petroleum Jelly Safe for Latex Neck Seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Body Glide did not solve my issue. It just balled up between skin and seal and gave me pimples around the usual hangman's rash. Tried McNett silicone-based spray today and still no relief. It looks like my suit tried to decapitate me. Just about ready to go to the petroleum jelly regardless of whether it will degrade my seal.

I use Johnson's Baby shampoo to lubricate my wrist seals before donning my dry suit. Also works great as a defogger . . .

Save dives . . . .
Safer ascents . .

the K

Hi Locus,

Oh I feel for you. Sometimes it's a choice between the lesser of two evils so to speak. For example wearing gloves you lose dexterity and gain warm hands.

Have you noticed any difference between shaving and not shaving?

Thanks,

Kathy

Get the SiTech neck ring and stop worrying about replacing seals :)

I have used bag balm and it didn't seem to accelerate the degradation of my seals. But I go through seals in six months, regardless of what I do or do not put on my neck, so I'm not really a good reference. The bag balm DOES really help with the burn; I actually had mine heal while I was still on the liveaboard and doing 3 dives a day.

Hi Locus,

Have you noticed any difference between shaving and not shaving?

Thanks,

Kathy

No difference. I was told by my LDS guy to shave after I walked into his shop with neck rash. I shaved that night (ouch, right over the rash) and the next day's diving left my neck worse than before. That was the day I tried the silicone spray. I'm wondering if when I last trimmed the seal I left it a bit to jagged at the edge. Will try go over it again with the scissors and see if that helps.

Get the SiTech neck ring and stop worrying about replacing seals :)

I have used bag balm and it didn't seem to accelerate the degradation of my seals. But I go through seals in six months, regardless of what I do or do not put on my neck, so I'm not really a good reference. The bag balm DOES really help with the burn; I actually had mine heal while I was still on the liveaboard and doing 3 dives a day.

Thanks TSandM. I actually got the idea to use bag balm from an old post of yours on hangman's rash. I use it post-dive to protect against infection on the abrasion. Seems to work as well as the polysporin I was using before, and it's cheaper, so it's a winner. I'll try it pre-dive on my next outing. I have the SiTech neck ring system so swapping seals is not an issue, but I was still trying to maximize seal life. Oh well, if it's a choice between seal comfort and longevity, I'll take comfort.

I've been gooping my throat up regularly with bag balm before diving. Aside from some small bumps that keep showing up after dive days, my painful scabrous rash has completely disappeared.

Might still try some water-based personal lubricant (more latex-friendly), but if that doesn't work I'll stick with the bag balm. Will report back when my seal dies so we can see how long it lasts.

A guy I dive with uses Apollo bio seal. Seems to work pretty well for his neck.

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Bio Seal

Thanks Zog, I actually considered this first. It would definitely solve the problem, but the bio seal itself will degrade latex on contact and shorten its life, and it costs $60, more than a regular seal does. So I would have to replace my seal earlier anyway, but also add the cost of buying and eventually replacing the bio seal.

If I had a bona fide latex allergy I would go with the bio seal, but as it stands a skin application looks much more economical.

I've had good luck with pure unscented talc, like others have reported.

My suit's out getting a new neck seal put in, and I'm having Silicon Zip Seals put in. I've been told by a few other local divers that silicone is easier on the skin than latex. Let you know in a few weeks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom