Is Bag Balm/Petroleum Jelly Safe for Latex Neck Seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does Anyone use a 100% silicone personal lube on hands and neck to help put the suit on and off ? Will a 100% silicone lube hurt the seals ? Saw a video on YouTube saying it works really well...

Jim...

My LDS recommends McNett silicone spray as a lubricant and a conditioner to extend the life of seals. As far as I'm aware silicone lubricants are totally safe for latex.

Update: About five months ago I started applying bag balm on my throat before every dive. No more hangman's rash. However, I am not noticing my seal is loosening off, and I am getting wet through my neck much more often. It's not the worst problem to have since it's still relatively warm, but I'll have to replace the seal before I head out for multiple dives in winter.

A word of caution on the silicone sprays/lubes. Make sure this does not get on the fabric of the drysuit. It can't be difficult if not impossible to remove. This causes a problem when trying to glue/attach a new neck seal.

Locus thanks for the update. On the next neck seal maybe cutting a little snugger??? I am glad the rash is not causing the hangmans look for you.

I've got my new latex neck seal installed (I have a neck-tite system that lets me swap them out easily). I left it much tighter than the last one, and tried a dive with only talc on the seal. I wound up with some pretty bad garrote marks on my throat.

Yesterday I tried applying some JO brand premium silicone personal lubricant. Worked awesome. Made the seal comfortable to wear and left no rash at all, plus it's latex safe so it won't degrade my seal. This will take bag balm's place in my kit from now on.

Back
Top Bottom