Is Cozumel overhyped? (video report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinJRL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thread title is a bit of click bait.

There have a few threads/posts that have been along the lines of "Cozumel isn't the same" as it was before. A few weeks back i did 9 dives in Cozumel, and despite having been diving virtually all over the world I really enjoyed my first trip to Coz. Loved it even. Maybe it was better 20 years ago, I'm sure it was, but overall diving was awesome.

Nice video! You saw quite a bit.

Wow. Great video. Can you post what reefs you dove? That’s my August’24 return destination.

Wow. Great video. Can you post what reefs you dove? That’s my August’24 return destination.

First few minutes of footage are from El Cedral (where we saw several nurse Sharks and reef sharks) and Palancar Bricks.

Night dive was called "Francisco" I believe. Many octopus, lobsters.

Middles dives at Columbia Reef, Columbia Bricks, Tormentos, Yucab Reef. Turtles, occasional nurse shark, some macro stuff I couldn't capture with a GoPro.

Punta Sur and Columbia caves had the most dramatic reef structures, "skyscrapers" and swim throughs.

I am a mere novice as far as Cozumel goes, most of the people I dived with had 200+ dives in Cozumel alone.

After now our 4th day of having the Cozumel port closed with calm water in front of our residence I am beginning to wonder why I am here to go diving.
Yea I lost 1.5 days of diving as well. I will consider avoiding the Oct/Nov timeframe in the future. Edit: 4 days is brutal! Sorry!

I'm so sorry for the people that have lost their entire trip this week to the Nortes!!! I was just there for two weeks and lost two days the first week, but had great conditions for nearly all of the dives. Coral bleaching is evident in your video but much of what you show is exactly what I just experienced. Great vid and glad you enjoyed la isla! I've been diving there since the 90's and think it's changed but it's always been wonderful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom