Is DEPP insurance out of business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using DEPP for years and agree their web site is a mess.

However, I've always been able to add/change to my policy pretty easily and my claims have been handled quickly and to my satisfaction. But I'm not one to leave it alone anyway - I make sure that when I submit something I follow up and deal with it myself.

Does H2O still have that exclusion on dropping your rig etc? I didn't like that. Can't get H2O as it is for US residents only so haven't really kept up on all the details.

alcina:
I've been using DEPP for years and agree their web site is a mess.

However, I've always been able to add/change to my policy pretty easily and my claims have been handled quickly and to my satisfaction. But I'm not one to leave it alone anyway - I make sure that when I submit something I follow up and deal with it myself.

Does H2O still have that exclusion on dropping your rig etc? I didn't like that. Can't get H2O as it is for US residents only so haven't really kept up on all the details.

I don't claim to know all about the H20 policy but I did read that they don't cover items lost overboard. Dropping and damaging your rig appears to be covered by what I have read in my paperwork. At least the registration was easy. It took me about 1/4 of the time to fill out the H20 info compared to DEPP's.

DEPP's policy is stronger on paper, that is why I started with them. Shame their customer support is virtually non-existant. If they revamp their website and start responding to questions, maybe I will try them again some day.

Interesting to see a different perspective. I would go with the one I thought looked better overall, even if their response time wasn't as good!

From what I've heard, H2O is a good operation. Having lost two systems overboard, that clause would be a deal killer for me, though.

Just goes to show there isn't one size fits all and each person really needs to look into it to make the best choice!

alcina:
Interesting to see a different perspective. I would go with the one I thought looked better overall, even if their response time wasn't as good!

From what I've heard, H2O is a good operation. Having lost two systems overboard, that clause would be a deal killer for me, though.

Just goes to show there isn't one size fits all and each person really needs to look into it to make the best choice!
2 systems overboard?!?!?!?

now how the heck have you done that!?>!

I've lost my D70/Ike rig overboard once. But I found it. When I dive off a zodiac, I usually tether the rig to a line off the side so I can do my entry and then grab it once I am in. One time a couple of years ago, I lowered the rig into the water, did my entry, and the rig was gone - the knot that was holding the bolt snap had come lose over time from the wave action and let loose the camer. 135 ft down. I was still glad I had DEPP insurance, though.

alcina:

They can say whatever on paper. The trouble I had with obtaining answers to questions about buying a policy told me that I was unlikely to ever get any kind of support and Wildcard's post in this thread leads me to also believe that filing a claim with them would be a major pain. Who needs that kind of aggravation.

How the heck do you loose two systems overboad anyway??:11:

we canceled our policy with DEPP this year... the customer service is the worst of any company I can think of. When they did respond to our e-mails they were rude and acted like we had done something wrong. We had a small claim for a dropped camera and it tooks months to get it resolved and a check sent to us BUT they had no problems in the middle of this to charge my credit card for another year's policy. Suspicious??? Yes. That made us decide to find another way to insure our camera gear. Now we have all our camera gear added on to our homeowner's policy as a special package which covers everything including floods... and it came out to half the price of DEPP too.

robint

I found out recently that the State Farm policies do NOT require you to insure your house. Anyone can call them for a personal article rider and it covers ANY kind of loss, theft, baggage loss, dropped overboard. And the rates are less than the others, I am pretty sure. And if I have claims, it will not effect my home rates because it is a seperate policy, which used to be my big hesitation, as State Farm is the ONLY hurricane coverage in Hawaii, I am told.

I only had to provide serial numbers and the dollar amount I wanted insured, no receipts or anything.

I don't think they would ask too many questions because they don't seem to have any idea about underwater cameras.

My claim with DEPP was handled quickly and as advertised in their policy. I was very happy with the service and continue to insure my equipment through them.

Back
Top Bottom