Is it ok to ask to join a random group of divers on the spot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree you are on the right track, diving with partners is much better than diving solo :). If you hook up with insta partners, just make sure that they plan to dive within your comfortable depth/range limit ;-).

You also might want to check with your local dive shop to see if they have a dive club.

Have fun and be safe!

No one should mind if you ask....and if they do it's not likely you really want to dive with the horses rears anyway but do expect an occasional polite no based on their dive plans. I dive with new buddies either off a local board or walk ups all the time at the quarry. Most of the time we are just touring around so it's no problem to add another unknown diver. On the other hand, if we intend to go deep to check out something, we are in dry suits (it's COLD down there) and the person is in a light skin I would say no to that dive- telling them the reason why and then invite them back later if the next dive is a shallow (warm) dive.
Bottom line, there is no reason not to ask, just expect the occasional no for one reason or another. A few times joining their group and odds are it will become "your group".....and remember to return the favor.

great advice!!
remember....
go places,MEET PEOPLE.do things
a padi quote,but it fits!
have fun
yaeg

I've been thinking about this...and I wouldn't say yes if I was planning an aggressive dive plan (to the barge on a single tank, for example) or if you show any resemblance to Fred, otherwise I usually welcome other divers to join. The first dive may be a "check-you-out" dive, 30-40ft max depth, but as long as you follow the dive plan I wouldn't mind keeping you in the team.
If you do join a team I would recommend that you get a good look at their gear, discuss positioning and stick to it, be a good dive buddy, pay attention and stay within view.

Fuzzy, I'm pretty much on the same boat with you. True that it doesn't hurt to ask, I'm pretty much ready for a rejection when I do. Not sure if it's me but you'll be surprised how some react when asked; much better to post here ahead of time. My weekends are always hectic but would like to squeeze in a day for diving whenever possible. Do ask me always, I might not be available most of the time but please do ask. I'll do the same my side.

I've been asked and I have asked to join other divers (it's what us extroverts do best).
But I have always sized up my potential new dive buddy by making a few observations of their gear layout/setup and a few questions about their plans and expectations.

Shallow easy dives are always the best dive plan with any new dive buddy, it helps to keep any surprises to a minimum.

I've always thought it would be a great idea to have an area of breakwater for people looking for buddies. Have you ever had plans to dive with someone, you drive to Monterey, and your buddy calls you and says, "sorry, dude, I'm not going to make it"?
I have had that happen and was glad to have more than one buddy I was diving with that day, but if I hadn't, I probably would have started looking for someone to join up with.
Haven't thought through the safety issues of the insta-buddy shore thing, but they buddy up divers all the time on boats, shore is generally shallower and easier to navigate.

Awesome. I'm imagining something between a slug line and day-labor queues. I wonder where a good out-of-the-way place would be. Bottom of the big stairs?

I think it'd be awesome to sit out there with a big hitchhiker sign saying "METRIDIUM" or "WALL". I mean, it's not terribly different to the guys who come down the harbor with a 6pack to get out for a day-sail.

I've always thought it would be a great idea to have an area of breakwater for people looking for buddies.
You mean like a bench where people would sit and wait for someone to come by and pick them up as a buddy?
I don't know, Fred would probably be permanently camped there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom