Is it ok to ask to join a random group of divers on the spot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not rude . . . but it does put the people you ask on the spot. Nobody likes to say no, but sometimes what you had planned for the dive just isn't very adaptable to a stranger.

I love diving with new divers, or with people from out of town -- but I plan the dives accordingly, to be dives where we'll all feel comfortable with the depths and the times and the gases. There are some dives where, for example, our team is on 32% and plans to do quite a bit of deep time, where the whole dive plan would have to be rethought for someone on air, or someone who is a new diver.

It is much better to arrange things beforehand if you can. I am really and truly happy to do any kind of dive, so long as I know what it is before I get there.

So go ahead and ask, but be prepared to be turned down, and don't at all take it personally.

Do Ask, I have only ever turned down one diver,(FRED) Other wise, I always am willing to take another diver into our group if we can!!

There are lots of ways to meet divers, there are the boards, and scuba clubs and a lot of shops offer "fun" days. Aqua Safaris Dive shop in Santa Cruz tries to put together a fun dive once a month. It charges $10 to go and includes lunch, and is lead by an instructor.

You can also make new dive buddies by taking a class, if your not an advanced diver yet take a class, if you are AOW take a rescue class, and get to know the local divers.

Hmm... Out of curiosity, who is this fred that keeps getting mentioned? I'm still relatively new to monterey diving myself.

Basically I gather he was a guy who never planned ahead and just showed up looking for buddies at BW.

Fred is an older guy with a small red pickup truck who is famous for handing out cards that say "dive buddy". He tends to ask women to partner him, but asks men too, and is generally thought to be a pervert. Although I don't know the details of his reputation, he did ask me to dive once and I thought he was creepy. I definitely turned him down cold, and I don't generally do that. I haven't seen him around in quite some time.

I've been asked and I have asked to join other divers (it's what us extroverts do best).
But I have always sized up my potential new dive buddy by making a few observations of their gear layout/setup and a few questions about their plans and expectations.

Shallow easy dives are always the best dive plan with any new dive buddy, it helps to keep any surprises to a minimum.

Just out of curiosity, what do you look for in their gear layout/setup? Maybe that's why no one ever asks to join my buddy and I on dives!:D
Get Wet!

I dove at Monterey on two trips and posted on the SB and got a buddy (Thanks Christina, you are awesome!!!!).

One time I joined a "mini doubles" UTD class (sorry I was more of a nuisance as I just cane from the transcon flight and 2 hr drive! :)

Ask on SB and you should be able to find someone. I was always welcomed and I appreciate it! :)

Just out of curiosity, what do you look for in their gear layout/setup? Maybe that's why no one ever asks to join my buddy and I on dives!:D
Get Wet!

Order and proper placement of equipment.
  1. No spearguns.
  2. No dangling gauges.
  3. No shark killing knives. (Crocodile Dundee)
  4. No cheap gadgets.
  5. No smoking (around me).
  6. No drinking alcohol (before diving).

Note: List does not apply to Scuba Babes.

Get Wet!

It's not so much what your gear is. It's how you put your gear together. If you assemble your gear smoothly and confidently, you're engender good feelings of confidence with future dive buddies.

However, if you (like I have seen) try to wrap your BC around your tank using the shoulder straps, you'll look like a rescue waiting to happen and - believe it or not - folks will be doing you a favor when they refuse to dive with you. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom