Is it ok to soak Reg with Aqualung ACD or Oceanic DVT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

Thanks for all the advices...

I don't have a tank at home so it is no possible for me to soak it with the tank connected...
Regarding the dust cap, I notice with the ACD, when trying to close the dust cap tight, it actually presses the ACD spring down which means the 1st stage is no longer 'closed' behind the dust cap...
This raises the question whether the ACD is better or the dust cap is better in term of preventing water entering the 1st stage...
I guess I better send my reg for service soon and get some advice from the service tech...

Thanks & regards,
Ken

Ken

I'm not familiar with the Aqualung ACD, but I am very familiar with the Aeris/Oceanic DVT. They (Aeris/Oceanic) do an adequate job of keeping wayward water spray and drips out of the regulator, but they will not keep water out of the reg if you dunk it in a tank. There is only a relatively weak spring holding the plug against the opening, and it's not strong enough to keep water a couple of feet deep (like in a dunk tank at the LDC) out of the first stage. It is not designed to be an all-encompassing water seal.

My advice is to put the dust cover on the reg, and soak it to your heart's content. It will not leak. the cover is designed to handle a 2-3 ft deep tank. Do not push the purge button on the second stage, or you'll allow water into the hose and it could ultimately reach the first stage.

If you have an Atomic reg, drape the hoses out of the water over a broomstick or something, as Couv suggested, while the two stages are soaking. That way any water that gets into the second stage via the orifice that relaxes its seal when unpressurized won't get to the first stage. Store the reg with the first stage higher than the second stage.

Back
Top Bottom