Is it safe to take a SS BP with carry-on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It may actually be easier to carry-on the BP. I recently travelled Ottawa - Washington - Los Angeles - Sydney - Cairns and had to pass through security at each leg (long story). At each airport (except in Australia), my checked luggage was opened because the backplate clouded the x-ray of my dive light (no batteries) and my highly suspicious wet suit. In Washington I was called back to explain why I had a metal plate and a "book" in my luggage. I guess dive logs are dangerous cargo now too :06: . On the way home, they even lost my new TSA approved lock.

I decided to carry my HID becuase I thought the battery canister would look suspicious on x-ray. Ottawa was the only place were I even had to pull it out, and luckily one of the security guys was a diver and recognized it right away. In Washington they had to call over a supervisor to make a call on those dangerous looking regulators:11: . HID canister, no problem.

I dive all over the world.I always carry my BP/wing,lights and regs on my carry on.I split them up between my backpack and a roller on.I've never had any problems.Some screeners just take a harder look at their X-ray machine when my bags pass thru.Some USA screeners have asked me to open the bags for inspection but have never conficated anything.Many new screeners have never seen scuba euipments before.A little polite explaination to them always does the job!Recently I have to drag my equipments to Vietnam and they wanted me to show them every piece of my equipments.They have probably never seen stuff like that before.But in Bangkok,they pay no heed to them,and just let me thru without any hassle.Fredi.

Okay, leaving Monday for my big (month long) scuba vacation. :D After pondering what to do about the luggage, I've decided to take my bp/w, regs, lights, computers, gauges and camera with me on carry-on. That way I can explain it to the TSA people when they scan my bag and there will be less chance of them going though my checked-in luggage. (Apparently a backplate showing up in the scan makes them want to inspect your luggage). Fins, knives, batteries and some other stuff will go in the latter. Hope I don't run into any trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom