Is it worth getting your DM certification for the education?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the Enclo. of Rec. Diving 2 years before starting DM. I would agree there are way better things to take/do to improve your diving. But DM can't hurt--for a bunch of money, though. I found that a lot of the academics are in the category of "certainly interesting", but like a college degree, you'll probably use 20-30% of what you learn. After all, when will the next time be when you are asked to raise a motor weightng 300 pounds and displacing 2 square feet of water? I imagine the academics of NAUI MD must be about the same as for PADI DM--there's only one set of important dive stuff you should know. PADI MD vs. NAUI MD has been compared to death.

All, thanks for your great inputs. I certainly have some things to think about. I don't have time to work full time as a DM, but I'd LOVE to have the chance to help my favorite shop out on an as needed/able basis. I also love the idea of helping new divers find the joy of diving like we all have!

Thanks again!

I am going to vote in favor of the DM course for the reasons you are asking. In that course you learn a bunch of dive theory, more there than even in the instructor course. You also learn to polish basic skills to "demonstration quality." The course teaches problem solving thinking, will provide alot of practical communication with veteran professionals, and will require you to imprint basic skills, safety procedures, and other important stuff in a way it is not likely to dissipate from your brain (if you remain an active diver). Bonus outcomes are: diveboats and concessionaires won't baby you, you can pick up the occasional paying ( or dive free for services) gig, and you get to wear the cool hats and t-shirts that say "Divemaster."
DivemasterDennis

All, thanks for your great inputs. I certainly have some things to think about. I don't have time to work full time as a DM, but I'd LOVE to have the chance to help my favorite shop out on an as needed/able basis. I also love the idea of helping new divers find the joy of diving like we all have!

Thanks again!

Hi Lacycroft :)

What you are expressing sounds very similar to me. I wanted to improve my knowledge base, diving skills, and perhaps work just a bit with the dive shop that I have done my training with. However, in all honesty, I also wanted another challenge of sorts.

I just completed my Divemaster cert approximately 3 wks ago. In my experience, it is a pursuit most valuable for those who plan to put it to use (employment as a Divemaster or as a bridge to becoming an instructor). My plan was not to become an instructor as I have been teaching for nearly 25 years. However the idea of conducting discover local diving and scuba reviews was attractive to me.

I would recommend serious consideration prior to committing to the certification. It is indeed time intensive and expensive. It might also be important to evaluate your ability to sustain motivation over a longer period of time. Because I also work full time, I found myself doing internships, etc. nearly every weekend for six months. So, it's really important to "want it" as you will be busy!

I did thoroughly enjoy the knowledge development. I did mine via PADI's elearning. I actually did two courses online...the Divemaster and Dive Theory. I found this to be helpful in conjunction with reading the required texts. In my case, my instructor did only one classroom session. Therefore, I was much on my own to conquer the knowledge aspect. While I may never be asked to lift a motor from the ocean floor, I did appreciated and have fun with the physics, chemistry, and physiology. Simply found it all to be very interesting and deepened my understanding of everything I had been taught along the way.

I absolutely loved the mapping project. Mine was a difficult one...it involved a 200 yard surface swim to simply get to the reef. I did 16 dives to develop my map and felt good about the results. I was also happy to get acquainted with a new area that fewer people are willing to make the effort to explore.

The physical challenges...swim tests, tired diver tow, etc. were also favorites. As I mentioned, I wanted a challenge and I thoroughly love physical challenges. By the way, I'm an "old" lady...50 years of age. So, this was a nice challenge for me.

Regarding the workshop and internship process, my degree of learning and enjoyment very much depended on the instructor that I was working with. Some instructors were willing to allow me to be very involved. Others just wanted me to shut up and watch. Of course, I did learn some things by watching, however when given the opportunity to be involved, I learned so much more. At times I felt somewhat bored with internships...however, I just think this was because I have been an educator for so long. I am a physical education professional, and I'm not sure that I learned much regarding communication, organization, role-modeling, etc. simply because I've been doing those things for most of my career.

However, in each internship I carefully watched, did learn enough, and appreciated the experiences/opportunities. Afterall, SCUBA and teaching in the underwater environment has it's very unique factors. If possible, I would highly recommend investing the time with an instructor who is willing to let you be more involved. Instructor liability was often sited as the issue when I was asked to just observe. I understood and respected this as it's something I certainly understand due to my teaching experience. Again...I just did not enjoy the "observational" internships as much...did not feel as challenged or as if I "grew" to the degree that I wanted to.

I very much enjoyed the development of demonstration quality skills...and yes, I felt as if this made me a better diver. I became even more comfortable with my ability to handle various scenarios.

I don't know if this was helpful...but hope that it might have given you some food for thought :)

Best of luck to you ...

I know a great many instructors and divemasters who are awesome divers, but it was NOT the DM course or Instructor course they took that made them this way.

For really strong diving skills, peak bouyancy and propulsion training type classes are available through many agencies, and these offer much better value as starting points in your "quest".
From this moment on, you should be looking around for really good divers that you can buddy with, and talk to them often about what they seem to do much better than you do.

I think you should read Jarrod Jablonski's book on the Fundamentals of Diving Amazon.com: Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving (9780971326705): Jarrod Jablonski: Books It should help you a great deal in figuring out what it is you want, how to get it, and with this path, there is a huge body of free material on the internet where you can find and then practice techniques without having to take a class.....I am not saying you should not take GUE courses, I am saying you can see and try many of their techniques from youtube videos--and actually experience enough of this to help you determine what it will mean to you and the diving you enjoy. If you like this direction, definitely start with the Primer course, then schedule a Fundamentals course after you have been able to practice everything you learned in the Primer course. Many recreational divers will never need more than the Primer--and the practicing of skills they learn there---maybe a follow up primer class again 6 months later--or just a dive with the instructor.

Primer will also teach you alot about what to look for in your buddies... and I don't mean Nazi like zealotry about all your buddies needing to be DIR....there are common sense ideas most divers should adopt, without really ever being DIR divers, and this is what I am talking about here...

Who you dive with, will end up having a very large significance, in how good a diver you are likely to be able to evolve into.

Great post, Dan!

I had this conversation a few years back with a friend who just recently at that time finished his DM certification. He took the course thinking it would make him a better diver, and was mistaken. He said he was GLAD he took it because it can open a door or two at certain points should he decide to walk to those doors, but he told me that unless I wanted to head into the "pro" route, don't do it!

Most of the guys I dive with are DM's and all are fine divers, and I think we all have been growing together as good divers as we challenge ourselves. (recently we all started diving doubles) A few are taking some advanced courses, I'm opting to wait until next year, since I would rather get used to my new set up before taking the course...it's not going anywhere!

I did mine to acquire additional knowledge first and foremost. As a matter of fact, to complement the decompression theory of my course, my instructor lent me his Adv Nitrox and deco procs books and naturally, these became the first courses I did after getting my DM.

I also have diving friends who happen to be DMs and instructors and at some point I would not have problem giving them a hand once I am done working out of town. I held a instructor category in another field (flying) for many years and I am used to develop and oversee less experienced folks. I also have no problem diving with relatively inexperienced divers who join my diving groups. This is what I do to give back. Do I aspire to become a diving instructor?...not really.

Last edited:
Lacycroft, I commend you for seeking to becoming a better diver.

Other posters have provided excellent opinions. They all make sense.

You have options. GUE Fundies is good. Additional Specialty courses are a good idea as well (PPB, Deep Diver, Rescue, Altitude, Drysuit, Nitrox, etc.)

Anytime you are taking a decent class, you are learning. Personally, I think Nitrox, Rescue and PPB are good classes that will improve your dive skills. My personal view is that taking a few Specialty classes is a good thing to do before going the DM route.

DM will teach you about Dive Theory and Assisting Divers and Student-Divers; you'll also work on your basic OW recreational skills. That is all fine. It will make you a better diver.

In concusion, you have options (GUE, DM, additional recreational classes, etc.). All of them will make you a better diver and all of them are good options.

My advice. Don't over-think it. Sign it up for a class and take it. Give some serious thought to Peak Performance Buoyancy, Rescue and Nitrox. There is no time like the present.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom