Is it worth getting your DM certification for the education?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for turning down the heat...

It is not my intention to discourage anyone from becoming a certified professional, nor to ask people to be cold-hearted. I happen to love diving very much, and respect the choice that professionals make to support me as a lowly diver... :D ... my attempt at humor. It was only my intention to shed light on an aspect of certification which didn't seem to be getting much attention.

I wanted to share my experience with Lacycroft because she was asking a question I had already asked years ago. The answers I got were not all what I expected and I feel they are important to consider for someone who is thinking of getting the cetifications, without actually using them professionally. When I planned to do this same thing, I was convinced to get as close to the pro line as possible, without crossing over, by very good people who had taken the step to the pros themselves.

It was an instructor who told me that during his vacation on a liveaboard, an inexperienced diver died, and in the subsequent investigation he was contacted about being a DM and Instructor. He was asked where he was when the accident occured, and was closely questioned if he could have intervened to prevent the death (he was resting on the deck when the diver drowned near the boat). He explained that the investigator had gotten access to the boarding info legally and specifically looked at everyone's credentials to find those who met the higher criteria for "standard of duty". He told me he had known other professionals who had similar experiences. He told me he had heard of DMs and Instructors who had been named in litigation. He also told me that PADI had been there for him, and that he had not suffered any problems from the incident. He also mentioned that, during his personal vacation trips, he is hesitant to tell operators about his credentials because it could come back to haunt him legally. Bottom line seemed to be that if you get pro certification you need to maintain your insurance, keep your skills sharp, and be more careful than an average diver.

I discussed this with other pros and thats when the scenario of a DM/Instructor being a basically innocent bystander, on a beach/dock/etc..., who sees a problem and responds to help. Not only is it an ethical and moral issue, it is also a legal one, and as a certified expert there would be a legal expectation for the pro to provide a higher standard of care, than a normal citizen. I reread my first post and I think that I could have written about my experience more clearly - I really did try.

And TMHeiner makes another point that was brought up in my discussions back then - with the Red Cross, Dive pros, and the legal types I went to school with. Does your higher standard of duty ever go away, once you are certified, and the record of your expertise is signed into law, so to speak. The opinions I have gotten, over the years, is that it is a lifelong commitment. In court you may certainly argue that you have not been active for many years, and this "will" be a mitigating circumstance, but in the end its still up to the jury and/or court to decide if you should be held to the higher standard, or not.

TM also mentions the "classes" he was in to learn about the legal issues, and that is what I was trying to get to for Lucy, in a nutshell. I hoped to share a bit of the info people are given in the First Responder and pro diver classes. These classes are given for higher certification and licensing, so the the people getting the qualifications, can protect themselve from the possible legal backlashes. None of the industry classes tell you not to help people - they tell you to help all you can, and they educate you on how to do it without being hurt yourself. I'd also like to mention, I was told that my certifying agency would not allow me to stay with the class, unless I signed the legal paperwork upfront, including the insurance agreement. They knew the possible legal consequences and were careful to not open themselves to new liabilities.

To DanV I say that no one "deserves" to die, unless they are a souless monster who intentionally destroys an innocent victim. A person who does their best to help another, while being cautious to avoid having their own lives ruined, is not such a monster. It is easy to lightly throw around the idea of being the hero, but it is not a strength that every good person is born with. Furthermore, there are people like me, who don't want others to risk their lives foolishly. If I dig myself a hole, its not some elses responsibility to jump in with me. Still... I understand what you mean and it is very kind that you and others care so much. Truth is I am the Knight-in-Shining-Armor type also, and its taken a lot of training and years of soul searching for me to figure out how to help others, without becoming another victim.

As for Scott, I wonder if you have ever had the great misfortune to be unfairly persecuted by one of those "ambulance chasers" ? I have known a few people who succesfully defended themselves from an unfair lawsuit, and they were still left with tens of thousands of dollars in defense costs, and that was a real hardship for their family for years. It is possible to help people and still protect yourself from legal disaster, but it requires the knowledge and understanding of legal principles, before you act. If you want to be a superman and take on all the ambulance chasers, I wish you luck, because I don't like them either. But, I would rather be smart about it and figure out how to help people, without being ground up by the system.

And finally to Lacycroft. I have read most of the thread and find that I mostly agree. I agree that DM & Instructor courses build great skills, I just wanted you to know upfront, that there are legal considerations that come with the certification. To this day I wish there was a "non-practicing" DM/Instructor course, that let a person learn the skills and get certified, but kept the person in the just-a-diver category.

When I was thinking of the same path, I was encouraged to find ways to accomplish the same goals without the certifications. Think about classes like stress and rescue, tech diving (for the science and physiology knowledge), ADV Nitrox, etc, add in some First Aid and possibly First Responder training, and then spend as much time diving as possible. If you add Stress and Rescue class, First Responder training, a few tech/advanced courses, and lots of practice all together - you come up with something that has a lot in common with the DM curriculum. You might even be able to get your employer to pay for the First Responder/First Aid stuff, because First Responders are good for their insurance and state regs. Just so you know, the First Responder training is specifically designed to stop just short of forcing you into the higher standard of duty. It does not teach the more invasive and dangerous stuff, like shots and such, so you get to remain a normal citizen with the "Good Samaritan" protections. It is really nice to have such practical skills and it might even help you to safely save anothers life, the way several of my ERT squadmates did.

TM is right... shouldn't have fought on your thread... apologies...

I wish you years of wonderful adventures... The Hermit

I'll throw one more thing out on this liability issue. Deep pockets is the term that describes what lawyers go after in any law suits. That means they go after money, insurance money. If you are not filthy rich they are not going after you personally, if you carry DM or instructor insurance you are more likely to be sued.

Going through this a little right now in that my girlfriend was in a car wreck, totally the other drivers fault but bad injuries so got a lawyer involved. All the lawyer is interested in is the at fault drivers insurance policies. Not going after personal property or bank accounts or any of that.

In my line of work the classes I have been to on liability ask how many have been sued, some have, not for lack of care but other issues. Then the instructors always ask how many have lost personal property over being sued and no one ever raises their hands.

You can be sued for anything but it's a little like diving you could be eaten by a shark so do you not do it? Personal choices and I'm glad I took the DM course and not really gonna worry about getting sued over it.

Good input from everyone on this thread.

"To this day I wish there was a "non-practicing" DM/Instructor course"

The agencies have a status for members who have retired from instruction, although most members probably just stop paying dues and insurance. The average life of an instructor is only 3 years, but you are supposed to keep you're documents and insurance active for some years after you finish teaching.

So, if you never submit your dm application to the training agency (slash pay the member dues, you can't be a member without dues), then the instructor could theoretically throw away any record of your dm training after 5 years, because they're not required to retain it that long.

And I agree to that point at which the bigger you are, the bigger target you are. So, if you are a millionaire and decide to go into scuba instruction you'd better watch your back :D
Or if you are a large company with multiple stores, you have more liability thus, you're willing to stick your neck out less. One reason why small mom and pops are willing to bend over backward more, they don't need an act of congress to make any decisions.

I worked for a large operation and having a dive club was a headache...too much liability and they had everything to lose.

Also, maybe I mentioned it already in this thread, but NAUI Master Diver is a recreational level course that teaches all professional level academics and diving. One thought if you are afraid of professional liability.

Thats very cool. My tech training is NAUI and it was very thorough. If they provide DM training and leadership experience, in a non-career course, it would be be a very good thing. I traveled to the Australia for a tech training trip, so I never heard of such a course - NAUI wasn't a commonly available Utah agency - back then. But Hawaii is a diferent story I'd guess.

Part of what sucks also is just how insanely expensive it is to do any legal business. When its $500 per day, plus expenses, for an average lawyer (at least thats the latest Utah rate I've heard), the costs get huge really fast. Makes it damn hard for an average citizen to be fairly represented at all. And then you buy insurance for a little piece of mind. And the insurance coverage is like blood in the water for the lawyers, it attracts the predators - whoops... don't want to give fish a bad name... :D

Good luck everyone... I hope to see you somewhere wild and wonderful...

I think all of this

Hermit - yep, NAUI tech is serious. Only the intro course is for dipping the big toe in to test the water. I'm sure you're well trained. Who was your instructor? I'm not a techie - I got some TDI and IANTD certs years ago (NAUI is opposite of this, more inline with GUE), but people keep trying to strap doubles to my back and mix helium in my air. :no:

I'm in Utah right now, there will be a NAUI store in North Provo by the end of the week. More to come!!

You have some good diving out here...I'm jealous. I'll trade you for my lake.

Damn, I am a commercial pilot. Should I be worried about being sued for the plane crash while seated in row 23?

In short, yes it is, but it also depends on the education you seek. The DM course will teach you about diving leadership, not necessarily improve your overall diving skills and knowledge, you should have that squared away before hand. The NAUI Master Diver course is excellent for knowledge and the NAUI Intro to tec will help with the skills in and out of the water.

The NAUI Master Diver course does not have a minimum number of dives prerequisite per se, just that you have advanced diver cert, so I guess in theory a diver could start the class with as little as 11 dives if they have gone the NAUI route.

I did my NAUI AI and DM classes in 1986 and one of the best benefits was helping in scuba classes every week. My skills got honed razor sharp and I got to hang out with cool people and learn all the time. AND I got paid!

If you are worried about getting sued, don't be, or stay out of the game. Work hard, do your job right, keep yourself sharp and you will not have to fret. I have been at this for 25 years and it is among the most rewarding things I have ever done. My gal asked me why I do this so much recently, I didn't really answer her. But the other Sunday I surfaced from a cert dive with a young lass whose smile was brimming from ear to ear. She worked hard and EARNED her c-card and was so proud of her accomplishments (deservedly so). I looked at Jen and just said, 'that's why'.

So, to me it has been very worthwhile and I continue to learn every day.

And Jill, embrace helium - helitrox is the new nitrox. I think Lonnie Sharp opened up a place out your way in San Diego, you should stop by and see him, he is top rate.

Best,
Jeff Heim
NAUI 10880

In short, yes it is, but it also depends on the education you seek. The DM course will teach you about diving leadership, not necessarily improve your overall diving skills and knowledge, you should have that squared away before hand. The NAUI Master Diver course is excellent for knowledge and the NAUI Intro to tec will help with the skills in and out of the water.

The NAUI Master Diver course does not have a minimum number of dives prerequisite per se, just that you have advanced diver cert, so I guess in theory a diver could start the class with as little as 11 dives if they have gone the NAUI route.

I did my NAUI AI and DM classes in 1986 and one of the best benefits was helping in scuba classes every week. My skills got honed razor sharp and I got to hang out with cool people and learn all the time. AND I got paid!

If you are worried about getting sued, don't be, or stay out of the game. Work hard, do your job right, keep yourself sharp and you will not have to fret. I have been at this for 25 years and it is among the most rewarding things I have ever done. My gal asked me why I do this so much recently, I didn't really answer her. But the other Sunday I surfaced from a cert dive with a young lass whose smile was brimming from ear to ear. She worked hard and EARNED her c-card and was so proud of her accomplishments (deservedly so). I looked at Jen and just said, 'that's why'.

So, to me it has been very worthwhile and I continue to learn every day.

And Jill, embrace helium - helitrox is the new nitrox. I think Lonnie Sharp opened up a place out your way in San Diego, you should stop by and see him, he is top rate.

Best,
Jeff Heim
NAUI 10880

Jeff- HAHAHA! I love it! 'Embrace Helium' shall be my new mantra!

Yes, I know Lonnie, he is a great guy! Actually, I should say one of my favorite NAUI members---is it bad to play favoritism? :) :D He's my go to reference guy for Tech....well, him and Tim O'Leary.

So, are you at DEMA? We definitely need to meet at the update or Wednesday party. Hope to meet you then!

Just thought I'd close the loop on this little thread... I recieved my DM cert last month! Very glad I did it. For those who said it wouldn't necessarily make someone a better diver, I disagree. I feel that the learning sessions and mentorship I recieved from some outstanding instructors have certainly made me a better diver. Basic skills are now more instinctive and the knowledge I've gained has certainly made me a more educated diver. I'm more confident in my abilities to dive as a buddy and now also to lead a small group of divers as well. I am glad I made the decision to proceed with the DM certification and would encourage others to do the same. I may someday move on to the Instructor ranks, but for now I think I'm happy where I am. Thanks again to all of you who threw your two cents in the pot! A valuable discussion indeed and one I came away from having been glad I'd participated. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom