Is mixing different brands okay to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Scubapro and their products are very good, top of the line. However I also think they are hyped beyond what they really are and there are other brands that can meet their performance levels at a more competitive price point.
I'm and old Scubapro gear fan. My first set up was Scubapro, and like I said the older classic gear is superb. I don't think they have really gotten any better though. There might be a few tweaks and a few improvements here and there, but nothing huge.

I'm not a fan of Scubapro politics. I got caught up in some of their retoric some years ago about parts I needed. It's a long story, but in the end they failed me and so did their authorized dealer so I got what I needed on the internet.

I think the MK5/metal second stages are about as good as they got, the 60's throught the 80's maybe 90's. I think that was Scubapro's hey day. That was before Atomic and many other newer competitive brands. I don't know when they shipped everytbing offshore exactly but I'll bet that was about when they went flat and had more trouble with quality control. That always seems to be when you noticed a drop in finish quality, when companies send away work and no longer are able to keep track of quality control like when it was all in house here in the states. Yeah I know about Chinese computerized machining and how precise that can be, but what about materials and assembly? I used some other Chinese made items that really sucked, absolutely terrible! if regs were made that poorly we'd be in real trouble. That kind of turned me off to Chinese made regs. There will always be that doubt when I'm 100 feet down drawing off a Chinese regulator wondering if some freak thing will happen to it and kill me.
Unfortunately all of the companies have to ship stuff away now, that's just the reality of what we as consumers have allowed to happen. I know in the case of Scubapro, assembly is primarily in Italy, but they have stuff made all over. Nobody really seems to know exactly where or what Scubapro does these days.

I'm not saying Scubapro is bad, I'm saying that they seemed to stagnate and probably went through some internal problems, turmoil with the whole grey market scandal, increased competition, a drop on market share, etc. and their two top designers split to form Atomic. As a result I do think they found it imperative to over hype their goods to stay relevant. The internet and freedom of information did them more harm than good I think, which can be the case when you base your sales/business model on your past success and not your current situation. In other words, they rested on their laurels too long and lost their competitive edge. It's kind of obvious what's going on when you have a company with such premium prices when other brands are just as good and do the same thing for less money.

To be fair, I think it's mainly just scubaboard users, tech divers, and DIR divers that hold BP/W in darling status. The vast majority of divers have probably never even heard of one.
This is a very valid point. I went diving this past Saturday at a local lake and struck up a conversation with a stranger about the rareness of backplate harnesses. There were at least 20 divers there that day and I was the only one diving a backplate harness (along with a long hose set up).

If you just got your information on Scubaboard, you'd think everyone and their mother dove with a backplate harness. Yet in real life, I've maybe only seen 3 people outside of NCF diving this way, and everyone thinks your 7ft. hose is nuts. It is a good conversation starter though. To me one of the best things about scuba is conversations with strangers and meeting new people.

out of deference to the OP, we should start our own crapilly-made-itallian-cars thread somewhere else.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Quite right.

A number of posts derailing the discussion have been removed. Now try to stay on topic.

I saw 4 people in Hawaii last year. Two pros (using mixed gear) and two customer divers running Hog.

Where were all the other peoples, and what does "running Hog" mean? Hogarthian or Hog brand?

Last edited:
Do you guys think that it's better to stick with one brand for a unison performance, or would it be best for me to save money and mix different brands to make the cost cheaper?

If you stick to one brand, it will be impossible to get the the best stuff for you. No company makes all the best stuff. Not one.

I have not read every post, but mixing gear is fine. Pic the best brand for the product. I personally have scubapro and Apex regs that I use, and various brands for other gear. I have used Leisurepro several times for gear, but personally I would go to an authorized shop for regs, preferably the shop that you will use to have your regs serviced. One thing that Leisurepro cannot offer that a dealer can is free parts for life. Many reg companies still give you the free parts for life if you buy from an authorized dealer and service shop.

Where were all the other peoples, and what does "running Hog" mean? Hogarthian or Hog brand?
Hahaha, it is a casual form of saying he uses a Hog brand regulator!

Hahaha, it is a casual form of saying he uses a Hog brand regulator!

At least at one time the company indicated that its brand was "Highly Optimized Gear (HOG)," so one would think "HOG" should always be in capital letters. However, in some places on their own web site they use "Hog" as well as "HOG."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom