Is octopus useless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

selytch:
i don't think you should have dived with this malfunctioning reg at all. from what you said one cannot be sure if freeflowing is due to stuck valve on the 2nd stage or exeeding intermediate pressure from the 1st.
not to mention that most divers choose for octo backup cheaper models.

You are allowed to feel this way :) But it's not for you to decide for anyone other than yourself.

And I think you may be over-generalising on most divers having cruddy occys :wink: not to mention your assumption on what I did or did not know. But again, that's just fine, you're allowed to.

did not mean to critisize you, sorry if it sounded that way :wink:
just curious in what people can say on this topic.
some real life stories and thoughts aloud...

It's nice to have an alternate when the primary gets blocked with vomit, bubble gum or your wad.
It's also not that rare to get a wet breathing primary due to exhaust valve not seating right or just failing.
Mouthpieces do come off regs too. I've had my reg kicked out of my mouth except I was using a Comfobite mouthpiece which stayed in place and just the reg went away.
I've seen more than one diver have the reg faceplate come unscrewed UW and the diaphragm come loose.
I've had problems with a rental reg when the Teflon tube used to reduce friction between the 2nd stage diaphragm lever and the metal disk in the diaphragm itself came off causing jamming and hard breathing.
So I consider you wrong. A regular octo is far from useless.

I had two second stage failure issues last week. In caves. I was very happy I didn't have to buddy breathe.

is there any statistical data as of how often octo is used, in what % of dives?
appreciate points given in previous replies!

selytch -- I don't understand the point of this thread -- will you please help me out here?

Are you arguing against divers carrying a backup 2nd stage off just one 1st stage? Or are you arguing against divers using the "common" octo setup which has a backup 2nd stage on a 34-36" hose attached somewhere (you hope) in "the triangle" on the torso?

While it is definitely safer to dive doubles with redundant air sources/1st/2nd stages, most of us aren't going to do that -- nor are we going to use H (?) valves on a single tank to get the redundant 1st stage/valve combo. (And for most of recreational diving the increased safety is pretty darn small.)

So, back to the question, what point are you hoping/trying to make?

BTW, when I first started diving (in another time at a place far, far away) NO ONE had even thought of an Octo and all we had for our backup was buddy breathing (which is a trick when using a two hose reg). In the late 60's my Dad and a friend modified their rigs to add "Octo's" -- people around here thought it was pretty strange but a good idea!

Never had one and probably won't ever. Was taught buddy breathing 25 years ago and my dive buddies were taught the same. Never had a reg fail..knock on wood.------but after some research and now that my wife is certified it might not be a bad idea to get one.....great spend some more $$$$...lol

I thought that there was a study done a long time ago by the University of Rhode Island that came to the conclusion that if a one of a pair of buddies had an OOA emergency and they tried to buddy breathe off of one second stage, often times you ended up with two dead buddies. I thought that this is what led the various training agencies to adopt the safe second system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom