Is the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme the best reg on the market, for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. New to the board. I'm an instructor in training, and an employee at a Scubapro/Aqualung-centric dive shop in the Midwest. I plan on moving to a tropical climate to become a full-time instructor in the next year or two.

And I currently dive the Legend LX Supreme.

...1) I know Aqualung also has some more expensive options.. the 70th Anniversary Legend, the Legend LUX Supreme, and the Legend LX Twilight Supreme.. but these seem to me to be nothing more than a little extra color for a little extra money options.

...2) To my understanding, Scubapro and Aqualung are the two biggest and best overall Scuba Diving companies, and have the longest standing track record.

...3) To my understanding, Scubapro is more or less the king of regulators, and Aqualung second.

...4) To my understanding, Scubapro's MK25EVO/S600 is their flagship regulator (the MK25EVO/S620 Titanium being the most elite in that line).. and Aqualung's Legend is their flagship regulator.

Now, for me..

1: Even though I plan on being an instructor in a tropical climate, I'd still like to have the option to go ice diving should it arise.. so I prefer a Diaphragm to Piston first stage. *I know those mk25 *EVO*'s are supposed to be diveable in any temperature, but I've heard they can still free flow in very cold water from service tech's and experienced divers (and also that little ice chunks can come through if you breathe too hard).
2: I like that I automatically got Parts for Life when I bought my Legend (and didn't need to buy an Aqualung BC and Computer as well to get it.. as you would have to in order to get Parts for Life on a Scubapro reg).
3: I like the ACD (Auto Closure Device) that the Legend features. I forget things sometimes.
4: Personally. I think "breathability" factors are sort of overrated when it comes to expensive reg A vs. expensive reg B. I've done dives on crappy rental Octo's and really not even noticed a huge comfort difference from my Legend.

I'd like to go with the king of regulators, Scubapro. But is their best Diaphragm reg, the MK17/A600 really any better than the Legend?

I've also heard that the Apeks XTX Tungsten (or Limited Edition Black Sapphire) might be superior to the Legend as a Diaphragm option.

...Any opinions would be very, very much appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

if you already have a legend lx supreme, just stick with it. the legend supreme can be used for ice diving.

Being a dive-shop employee, I get a nice discount, so I could sell my Legend and upgrade at almost no cost.. if there were an upgrade available.

:gas::popcorn::surrender:

Jim....

You already own a top of the line diaphragm reg suitable for all temperatures.

When you say "best" do you mean performance wise or the most expensive bling? Seems like bling. If you have the money for bling have at it but you'll notice zero performance difference from what you already own. As you said there is little noticeable difference between most regs and I'd almost guarantee none between the regs you've listed. It's not my intention to sound rude but personally, I'd stick with what you have and spend the money on other "needed" gear if required or use it to increase your dive count. As an instructor experience is significantly more important than the prettiest most expensive reg. Having said that, I do understand wants vs needs, I've bought dive gear just because I liked the look of it or just wanted a new toy. Performance being equal assuming you have money to spare then just buy the one you like the look of. Good luck with your course.

Last edited:
Just get the one with the most sexy adjectives in the name:
'Shark' adds $ 75
'Supreme' adds $ 100
'Titanium' adds $ 125
'Platinum' adds $ 150
'Tech' adds $ 175
'Commando' adds $ 200
'Diamond' adds $ 250

Buy Conshelf XIV supreme's .... They still make them after 40+ years... They are that GOOD... Only sold to Military and Professional divers... www.amronintl.com

Jim...

I do believe that in ANSTI testing the Legend beats the S600 and equally blingified. That said, true or not as I do not clearly recall the latest reports, either will serve you well. The Conshelf XIV/14 Supreme performs about 95% as good overall and is far more durable, easier to service and tune.

N

You already own a top of the line diaphragm reg suitable for all temperatures.

When you say "best" do you mean performance wise or the most expensive bling? Seems like bling. If you have the money for bling have at it but you'll notice zero performance difference from what you already own. As you said there is little noticeable difference between most regs and I'd almost guarantee none between the regs you've listed. It's not my intention to sound rude but personally, I'd stick with what you have and spend the money on other "needed" gear if required or use it to increase your dive count. As an instructor experience is significantly more important than the prettiest most expensive reg. Having said that, I do understand wants vs needs, I've bought dive gear just because I liked the look of it or just wanted a new toy. Performance being equal assuming you have money to spare then just buy the one you like the look of. Good luck with your course.

Believe me -- I love and appreciate hearing your feedback. So.. Diaphragm regulators.. Legend LX Supreme vs. MK17/A700 vs. Apeks Black Sapphire.. I'm probably not going to notice much of a difference performance wise. Right?

What about that MK25/S620 Titanium? It's like $2,000+. There's gotta be a performance difference to be noticed there, right? Or is the price difference just due to the Titanium build.. the fact that it's never going to corrode even in heavy, heavy salt water conditions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom