Is the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme the best reg on the market, for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do believe that in ANSTI testing the Legend beats the S600 and equally blingified. That said, true or not as I do not clearly recall the latest reports, either will serve you well. The Conshelf XIV/14 Supreme performs about 95% as good overall and is far more durable, easier to service and tune.

N

I feel like an idiot here. And I still am. But.. I've never even heard of ANSTI testing either..

Like I said, yhere will be "zero" noticeable performance difference between any of the regs you've listed regardless of price. The price difference relates to cosmetics, materials used but mostly it's just advertising. If you wanna spend a truck load of money I have a very special, very rare Plutonium regulator made from space dust..just playing. Seriously though you are not going to get a regulator that breathes better than what you already own. End of story.

ANSTI is a breathing machine and notices the often minute differences humans cannot.

Last edited:
Shark, you're diving the best regulator according to my bench tests during the last almost nine years.
The performance of the Legend 1st stage is better than any other 1st I know, consistantly.

The 2nd is also an excellent performer, but not really better than other top models.

I personally like a lot the new G260 for its good handling and solid properties (simlicity & aivailability of spare parts) for dive pros of today.

I wouldn't hesitate to get me a G260 and dive it with a Legend 1st.

I think you would have the best of both modern worlds..........:)

The functional difference between the MK25/S600 and the MK25T/S600T - zero - except for the improved corrosion resistance of the Ti. I almost bought one so did the research. I bought an Atomic T2 instead but don't cold water dive - ever.

Conshelf's may still be in use after 40 years but that also makes them a 40 year old design. I think regs have improved a little since then - esp. since patents for both are owned by Aqualung since they bought out US Divers maybe 20? years ago.

Axxels comments suggest he has a bench where he tests/tunes regs - possibly a breathing machine also. I have no doubt he's correct but in your case since you don't apparently have either or the skills required - you'd have products from two competing brands that need servicing.

I know of one dealer now that sells/services both - Yours. Actually if you don't mind, please share the name as a future resource.

Where I travel to dive (much of the best of the Caribbean over the past decade) there's often an Aqualung and a Scubapro dealer on the same island but not at the same shop.

Both probably have 2 year intervals now, I believe Aqualung recently upgraded their requirements to 1st year inspection, 2nd year overhaul - Scubapro has been that way for a while.

Testing Scuba Regulators On The ANSTI Breathing Machine

Just get the one with the most sexy adjectives in the name:
'Shark' adds $ 75
'Supreme' adds $ 100
'Titanium' adds $ 125
'Platinum' adds $ 150
'Tech' adds $ 175
'Commando' adds $ 200
'Diamond' adds $ 250
Titanium actually does something useful, regs made from it don't corrode in salt water. But it's more like $500 since it's expensive and hard to machine.

Otherwise I agree with most of the list. He missed one also - there's Black Tech now also. That has to be better than regular Tech right? I've also seen a reg with a PVD coating - scratched to **** after about 2-3 years of average use. I think it was an Atomic...

Last edited:
Just get the one with the most sexy adjectives in the name:
'Shark' adds $ 75
'Supreme' adds $ 100
'Titanium' adds $ 125
'Platinum' adds $ 150
'Tech' adds $ 175
'Commando' adds $ 200
'Diamond' adds $ 250

Sounds eerily similar to the list of categories of people that get to board the airplane before me. :wink:

Actually they are no longer made, production stopped in 2011 IIRC.

You know that for sure ? They are still being sold.. And, If "Theshark1" want's the COOL factor...He would be the only instructor with Conshelfs.. I know when the wife and I go diving , We're the only ones with them.. And other divers, Always want to look at the shiny chrome regulators...

Jim...

You know that for sure ? They are still being sold.. And, If "Theshark1" want's the COOL factor...He would be the only instructor with Conshelfs.. I know when the wife and I go diving , We're the only ones with them.. And other divers, Always want to look at the shiny chrome regulators...

Jim...

Yes, for sure, my date could be out though. Yes, I just bought two new ones while the goings good, and look cool they do.

Hello all. New to the board. I'm an instructor in training, and an employee at a Scubapro/Aqualung-centric dive shop in the Midwest. I plan on moving to a tropical climate to become a full-time instructor in the next year or two.

And I currently dive the Legend LX Supreme.

...1) I know Aqualung also has some more expensive options.. the 70th Anniversary Legend, the Legend LUX Supreme, and the Legend LX Twilight Supreme.. but these seem to me to be nothing more than a little extra color for a little extra money options.

...2) To my understanding, Scubapro and Aqualung are the two biggest and best overall Scuba Diving companies, and have the longest standing track record.

...3) To my understanding, Scubapro is more or less the king of regulators, and Aqualung second.

...4) To my understanding, Scubapro's MK25EVO/S600 is their flagship regulator (the MK25EVO/S620 Titanium being the most elite in that line).. and Aqualung's Legend is their flagship regulator.

Now, for me..

1: Even though I plan on being an instructor in a tropical climate, I'd still like to have the option to go ice diving should it arise.. so I prefer a Diaphragm to Piston first stage. *I know those mk25 *EVO*'s are supposed to be diveable in any temperature, but I've heard they can still free flow in very cold water from service tech's and experienced divers (and also that little ice chunks can come through if you breathe too hard).
2: I like that I automatically got Parts for Life when I bought my Legend (and didn't need to buy an Aqualung BC and Computer as well to get it.. as you would have to in order to get Parts for Life on a Scubapro reg).
3: I like the ACD (Auto Closure Device) that the Legend features. I forget things sometimes.
4: Personally. I think "breathability" factors are sort of overrated when it comes to expensive reg A vs. expensive reg B. I've done dives on crappy rental Octo's and really not even noticed a huge comfort difference from my Legend.

I'd like to go with the king of regulators, Scubapro. But is their best Diaphragm reg, the MK17/A600 really any better than the Legend?

I've also heard that the Apeks XTX Tungsten (or Limited Edition Black Sapphire) might be superior to the Legend as a Diaphragm option.

...Any opinions would be very, very much appreciated!! Thank you in advance!
Hello all. New to the board. I'm an instructor in training, and an employee at a Scubapro/Aqualung-centric dive shop in the Midwest. I plan on moving to a tropical climate to become a full-time instructor in the next year or two.

And I currently dive the Legend LX Supreme.

...1) I know Aqualung also has some more expensive options.. the 70th Anniversary Legend, the Legend LUX Supreme, and the Legend LX Twilight Supreme.. but these seem to me to be nothing more than a little extra color for a little extra money options.

...2) To my understanding, Scubapro and Aqualung are the two biggest and best overall Scuba Diving companies, and have the longest standing track record.

...3) To my understanding, Scubapro is more or less the king of regulators, and Aqualung second.

...4) To my understanding, Scubapro's MK25EVO/S600 is their flagship regulator (the MK25EVO/S620 Titanium being the most elite in that line).. and Aqualung's Legend is their flagship regulator.

Now, for me..

1: Even though I plan on being an instructor in a tropical climate, I'd still like to have the option to go ice diving should it arise.. so I prefer a Diaphragm to Piston first stage. *I know those mk25 *EVO*'s are supposed to be diveable in any temperature, but I've heard they can still free flow in very cold water from service tech's and experienced divers (and also that little ice chunks can come through if you breathe too hard).
2: I like that I automatically got Parts for Life when I bought my Legend (and didn't need to buy an Aqualung BC and Computer as well to get it.. as you would have to in order to get Parts for Life on a Scubapro reg).
3: I like the ACD (Auto Closure Device) that the Legend features. I forget things sometimes.
4: Personally. I think "breathability" factors are sort of overrated when it comes to expensive reg A vs. expensive reg B. I've done dives on crappy rental Octo's and really not even noticed a huge comfort difference from my Legend.

I'd like to go with the king of regulators, Scubapro. But is their best Diaphragm reg, the MK17/A600 really any better than the Legend?

I've also heard that the Apeks XTX Tungsten (or Limited Edition Black Sapphire) might be superior to the Legend as a Diaphragm option.

...Any opinions would be very, very much appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom