Is the P-valve really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't own a suit without one! I have a balanced halcyon one and it works great! When I first got it I would only use "wide band" caths from Rochester medical because there is no way they are going to leak or come off. Takes a hot shower to get them off unless you want to turn your "member" purple. After I got used to it I switched to a cath with weaker adhesive from a local medical supplier. Never had any problems. I find that although it isn't required, it also helps to "prime" the system before entering the water.

My used suit came with one although is was not on my must have list. I had a bit of hesitation on using it the first day, all the normal plumbing fears. When I did use it, I could feel the warm fluid flowing down my leg in the tube, thinking it was leaking. Also, just the act of peeing in your dry suit takes concentration, unlike a wetsuit where I pretty much piss on myself at will.

Bottom line though is it works, it does not leak and now I chug water like there is no tomorrow. The extra minute to hook up is saved several times over by not having to pee between dives. The condoms are easy to use and not really painful to remove, its more of a male centric fear about their parts than anything else. (Considering what the she-pee users have to deal with, we have it so easy). Based on my limited experience, I am hooking up for any multi-dive days

I've dived my drysuit both with and without a p-valve (and on those occasions where I forgot my cath): NEVER AGAIN WITHOUT!!! It never fails that, as soon as you enter the water, the pee reflex kicks in and then you spend the whole dive suffering. Either that or your timing is right but you get held up in the water and it kicks in near the exit, so you're running with your gear, cutting bungees to your gauges, then running to the bathroom. I'd rather just have my p-valve and be free to go at any time.

Peace,
Greg

She-P or condom cath.....ease of removal is all in the landscaping :wink:. You guys do have it a little easier than us girls, but even for the extra work that we have in not only prepping, but application (adhesive application and proper positioning), it is totally worth it!

She-P or condom cath.....ease of removal is all in the landscaping :wink:. You guys do have it a little easier than us girls, but even for the extra work that we have in not only prepping, but application (adhesive application and proper positioning), it is totally worth it!

I think it's still a big deal for both sexes. I always keep the removal in mind whenever I'm applying my cath (Rochester Wide Bands) .

Peace,
Greg

The p-valve is definitely a must have. When I bought my drysuit they gave me three suggestions. Hold it, wear depends or the p-valve. I tried the depends method and I hated it. I finished up the package and bought a p-valve, I have never had any issues with it at all, with the exception of the one time I took it apart to clean it and forgot to tighten it all the way.

Not a guy, but I wouldn't own a suit without a p-valve again. I've gone from using it only for the long dives or boat trips, to using it pretty much all the time. Never again the "waddle of shame" from the water's edge to the car, to try to get out of the gear so I can run for the restroom!

Alright, so I'm aware of all the benefits with the P-valve, since they're pretty obvious, but the obvious negatives are making me hesitate. Getting a dry suit on is enough of a PITA without one extra step. The possibility of the system failing and me getting urine all over the inside of the suit (and me) isn't appealing either. On the other hand, the obvious freedom to drink lots of water and stay hydrated would be pretty nice.

For those guys who have dry suits, with or without P-valves, what are your thoughts on having one or not having one?

I originally didn't get one with my suit, but I'm contemplating it after hearing about the undeserved hit my divemaster in Hawaii told me about, that he got, which sounded like dehydration was a contributing factor to.

OMG DUDE! It's the best invention in diving in the past 20 years. Seriously, absolutely, totally friggin worth it.

Let me give you some background. I've been diving drysuits since 1997. It started in the commercial world diving in Nuclear Power Plants, Oil Rigs and Cold water. We had a choice, hold it, wear a diaper, or let it flow... I chose to hold it, and 4 hour dives were brutal....

Move forward a few years and in the recreational realm it wasn't as big of a deal in the beginning. I was doing 60-90 minute dives and while it wasn't comfortable, it was okay... I guess. The biggest pita was 4 minutes after zipping up your drysuit, you'd inevitably need to Pee.

So... last month I got a P-Valve. I did lots of research and got the Dive Rite Balanced P-Valve

OMG DUDE!!! It's a different world. It's taken so much stress from diving, I can drink as much as I want, I can pee when I want, no fears of DCS, no rushing to get out of the water. It really is heaven. I PROMISE YOU. IF YOU DO IT, YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID>

Now, lets talk about blow-offs and leaks... Buy Rochester Wide Bands.... Shower in the morning before the dive... scrub up good. Dry Good and apply. Make your dives all day, when you get home, take it off. Get the right size, stick it on a clean dry penis, and you don't have to worry about a blow-off.

Now, lets talk about installation. I installed the p-valve myself. I took a 1/2" ID peice of copper tubing and heated it to red hot with a 20 dollar propane torch and with a block of wood on the other side, burned a hole quickly through my suit. I took 4" of duct tape and cut a 2" circle out of the center. I applied the duct tape to the inside and outside of the suit over the hole i burned through. Using two washers, a bolt and a nut, I Aqua-Sealed the rubber gaskets to the suit and squeezed the gaskets tight by tightening up the nut and bolts, squishing the gaskets against the suit with the washers. The 4" of duct tape keeps the excess Aqua-Seal from getting all over. When the Aqua-Seal drys, remove the duct tape.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions PM me. If you need a DR Pee Valve, pm me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom