Is there an instructor crisis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't take the position that you (any agency) sets the STANDARDS for a class or DSD, then wash your hands of any responsibility for the instructor/DMs after the fact. That's not how any of this works.
Oh, you must mean the way colleges and universities are sued every time one of their graduates scews up, right? Or the way the AMA is sued every time a doctor commits malpractice? Or the way the ABA is sued every time a lawyer commits malpractice? Is that what you are talking about?

Oh, you must mean the way colleges and universities are sued every time one of their graduates scews up, right? Or the way the AMA is sued every time a doctor commits malpractice? Or the way the ABA is sued every time a lawyer commits malpractice? Is that what you are talking about?

Has there been recently a jump in diver casualties and lawsuits to support and justify these attacks against PADI above? I didn't hear anything like this before. I believe that there is a different story that has nothing to do with low standards or quality management on part of PADI or any other agency.

"Is there an instructor crisis?": Yes; paying instructor near minimal wage results in a crisis.
In general, I believe that the scuba industry is in crisis. At least in this area of the country it's decaying.

Sad.

Interestingly enough, in the dive shop where I worked, if they doubled or tripled instructor pay, it would not result in a significant percentage increase in the total cost of the course.

Interestingly enough, in the dive shop where I worked, if they doubled or tripled instructor pay, it would not result in a significant percentage increase in the total cost of the course.
It would though impact the shop's profit margin. I pay myself and my instructors more than 3x what the shop I used to work for paid us.

If someone could explain to me how to explain to a price driven consumer, who wants the cheapest course they can find, how paying a little more will result in fast greater satisfaction and safety, is be forever grateful. I can seem to get the message across ..

If someone could explain to me how to explain to a price driven consumer, who wants the cheapest course they can find, how paying a little more will result in fast greater satisfaction and safety, is be forever grateful. I can seem to get the message across ..
For OW divers? You can’t. Too many lookie loos.
You can get a lot of continuing education students if you have your stuff together though…be active in the local dive scene, have a highly competent skill set, and make sure the divers you are training are competent. The folks that got “trained” by the cattle herders will wonder why y’all look so effortless…and they will come to you. Don’t really need to advertise. Is that scalping?

I taught PADI OWSI in the late 90's and Early 2000's up here in the PAC NW. The shop I taught for actually had $99 OW courses at that time. Instructors were paid $50 per student and were responsible for PIC cards, insurance, etc.!

I just enjoyed it even though the pay was FAR less than my time and expenses..

My primary "benefit" was the lifelong friendships and relationships made that I still have to this day. The secondary benefit was key man pricinging on all gear, which I took full advantage of....and ......organizing group trips to the Caribbean, BC, and weekend trips to the San Juan Islands where I would go for free as the organizer.

If you get in an accident DURING your driving lessons, that instructor is booted and their license to teach is revoked. And they are held liable along with the parent company. If you blow up the chemistry lab during class, the instructor and the university are liable yes.

10 students sounds like my class. IIRC that was three days. So about $6000.

$2000 per day.

Thats about what I bill on an average day, in my industry. And it supports a couple of useless office workers, riding on my back as well. Just like one dive instructor likey supports two boat ranch hands and someone at the shop.

I even have a 25-50g diesel use, just like a dive boat. And your yearly insurance is what mine costs the company every month. ($2 mil liability IIRC) And I promise, my gig is way more physical, dangerous, and technology oriented. (So dont play those cards)

Sounds like some dive instructors are getting ripped off. Althoughb mine appeared to be doing fine.

Id love to see the books of these failing ops. Im guessing excess profit, not good enough pay. 5% black ink is plenty, after everyone gets paid.

[But yeah, 2-3 students. Lol, good luck with that.] Maybe if its a techy class. My LDS tech classes are lower turnouts, and much more expensive. About double.

Could this still be covid fallout? Low turnouts? I didnt dive with any op in 20, 21, or 22. I felt betrayed by divers that supported the inane nonsense that ruined travel, and simply persued other hobbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom