Is there any safe/ good diving in So Cal this holiday weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Veterans Park is a decent night dive when all the critters come out. Diving during the day there is usually not that great because there is not much to see. Just a lot of sand.

Tuesday night was a decent dive. Around 70F at the surface and 58F below 30-40 feet. Visibility was around 10 feet until we got below 30 feet and then it opened up to 20 feet or so.

---------- Post added August 28th, 2014 at 12:06 PM ----------

My guess would be visibility will not be so good. But sometimes you might get a good surprise.

I also agree with scjoe. Save your money and kick out to deadmans or stay near the reef and seal rock at crescent if conditions are good.

Well, it's my own boat so the cost isn't really that much. Just the time of launching it. I guess I will wait and decide on Saturday before I pack everything up. So if the swell is low enough by Saturday then all I would be looking at is poor visibility? Is that correct? Or would I still be having to fight rip tides or something like that? Again, this would be at Crescent Bay.

Well, it's my own boat so the cost isn't really that much. Just the time of launching it. I guess I will wait and decide on Saturday before I pack everything up. So if the swell is low enough by Saturday then all I would be looking at is poor visibility? Is that correct? Or would I still be having to fight rip tides or something like that? Again, this would be at Crescent Bay.

It's just potential bad viz. You never know, it could be a good viz. Even with bad vis it's enjoyable though. Just stay away from the rocks closer to the shore. If I won't go to Catalina this weekend I might be diving somewhere there.

I'm going through certification right now (did pool dives and tests last weekend), and we are scheduled to go to Catalina on Sat for the OW dives.

I stopped by the shop today and asked if it was still a good idea to go...but I guess they'll decide tomorrow what the plan is.

My wife and I are booked for a charter on Monday to Anacapa Island, hoping it is still a go.

I'm going through certification right now (did pool dives and tests last weekend), and we are scheduled to go to Catalina on Sat for the OW dives.

I stopped by the shop today and asked if it was still a good idea to go...but I guess they'll decide tomorrow what the plan is.
I hope it works out for you. I just got my cert last weekend. The weather was great then. I'm probably gonna give crescent bay a try this Sunday. If conditions are good enough and viability is acceptable to me then I'll do a second dive at 1000 steps. Either way I'll post how conditions were.

By the way the water was very warm at Catalina last weekend. ..no need for a hood. :) Good luck on your ocean dives.

I'd relayed Dr. Bill's feedback and other messages from the forum to the dive shop and got an email late last night from them noting we'll instead be doing Veteran's Park on Sat. I'm glad because knowing that I won't be going to Catalina that often for diving, I wanted to save that trip for a little bit better conditions.

bshmerlie, thanks for the tip on the hood. The shop wasn't sure if it would be needed but figured by the 3rd dive in the afternoon we might need them.

I'm hearing that the conditions north of Long Point on Catalina are not so bad. Down here in Avalon and the region from Long Point to the East End (and presumably the back side as well) are not great. Vis is poor but the swell is dropping (was much less yesterday than the day before) so things will begin to clear up. After the last major surge event about 4-5 weeks ago, vis improved quicker than expected. We'll see this time.

I'm hearing that the conditions north of Long Point on Catalina are not so bad. Down here in Avalon and the region from Long Point to the East End (and presumably the back side as well) are not great. Vis is poor but the swell is dropping (was much less yesterday than the day before) so things will begin to clear up. After the last major surge event about 4-5 weeks ago, vis improved quicker than expected. We'll see this time.

Thanks Dr Bill. Please keep us posted! I'm scheduled to go out with a dive boat on Sunday. They say we're going, but if conditions are "so-so", I'd rather not make the trek! So, please, let us know how it's looking...

Looks like the crossing should be ok this Saturday. I'm going to be taking 3 divers to Catalina on my boat(31' Tiara) Saturday. We will be focusing on spots around two harbors on the lee side. Wish us luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom