Is there any safe/ good diving in So Cal this holiday weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did Yellowtail Point today. Viz 30-40, surface temp 74, lots of current running east to west. Kelp was lying down pretty good. The crossing was surprisingly very smooth!

We did our first OW dive on Sat at Veteran's Park, and it was pretty tiring trying to get through the waves. There was hardly a break between them at times. Seemed like visibility was 8-10 at best, but we got through the OW drills. There's no doubt that the exit and that long walk back to the parking lot will gas you. I'm glad though that when asked for feedback the first thing my daughter said was 'that was fun'.

We did our first OW dive on Sat at Veteran's Park, and it was pretty tiring trying to get through the waves. There was hardly a break between them at times. Seemed like visibility was 8-10 at best, but we got through the OW drills. There's no doubt that the exit and that long walk back to the parking lot will gas you. I'm glad though that when asked for feedback the first thing my daughter said was 'that was fun'.
The first thing my daughter said, "That was really sandy....is it in my hair?" :) I was there last weekend for my first OW dive. I personally didn't care for it. Not worth the hike in heavy gear. My daughter is 12. How old is yours?

I was at Crescent Bay yesterday and it was great. About 15+ visibility and only 1-2 swell. Lots of fish and lots of seals which my daughter loved. Water was 73. I personally didn't wear a wetsuit...just wore my bathing suit and boots and gloves. My daughter wore her 3mm shortie.

Bshmerlie, mine's 13 and I agree, I can't say that it would be high on my list of to-do's. There were a lot of people there from other classes as well. I had gone up to the parking lot to drop off my gear and was going to come back down to get my daughter's bcd/tank. But I was surprised to see her appear with the instructor up top as I was about to head back down to get her. So props to her for getting all the way back fully loaded.

I'll also add that while I've been in the waters in Cozumel, Cancun, and Maui, this was an eye opener for me in terms of the limited visibility and beach entry.

Yes, very low visibility and just sand makes you feel like you're in a box. I'm not sure why anyone other than classes would dive there when there are so many other options out there.

Yes, very low visibility and just sand makes you feel like you're in a box. I'm not sure why anyone other than classes would dive there when there are so many other options out there.

Pacific Wilderness' Facebook page was reporting 20-30' viz there yesterday, but I don't trust it. What you reported sounds more likely. Yes, at Vererans Park, you can dive and see lots of sand! It's know more for night diving and seeing squid, but that doesn't really peak my interest.

Even at Catalina yesterday, viz wasn't what you'd typically get there and the kelp was pretty destroyed by the swells from Hurricane Marie (and perhaps the warm water?).

Because Veterans Park is likely one of the most interesting dives in the area...both during the day and at night. Very certainly at night. Slow down, relax, take some time to look closely...

Ask some experienced divers to show you around.

I'm not saying there's nothing there, but you have to admit there are much better options just a little further south down the coast.

For the record, Saturday was terrific. Vis in the 40 ft range. Calm waters. Few divers. On one safety stop, I could see the bottom step of the stairs and a buoy line from the same position. Warm water has eliminated most of the kelp and the park looked like a moon scape, but there was still plenty to see. Hardly any divers there except a group from WAVES, a wounded warrior program who brought Miss California along as a dive partner. Hats off the that group. They are making a difference in the lives of those who stood in harms way that we could enjoy our freedoms.

Did my first dive in 8 days last night... very disappointed to see the surge was still pretty strong (at least for filming purposes)

Back
Top Bottom