Is this what I should usually expect? (long, advice requested)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It all depends on where you are as to what you get for your $100 In southern California/San Carlos MX you typically get a ride out and then you are on your own for the dives if it is a good operation then they will throw some chow at you between dives (this is what I like). When we were in Curacao the dive op had 1 divemaster per 8 or so divers to heard us through the water as a group (not what I would choose to do).

What is the answer?--Just go with it and trust you'll be OK yourself, you MAY be able to rescue the clown, or you may just wind up diving solo?
You can't "take a buddy you trust"if you are on the boat as a single diver. It happens all the time--with me and many others.
That's why I bought and carry a pony when I'm diving with instabuddy. Never needed it, but it's worth the 10 pounds of so in my luggage and the vis/fill charge to me.

So, what do you do when you pay your $100US for the trip and the only buddy is one of these clowns, as you say (has rarely happened to me, but has happened). What is the answer?

I try to be a good buddy and I carry a 2l pony for my own piece of mind. Pop the valve out and it fits in my carry on. I have no problem being buddied with a newb, I just have no faith in their ability.

I try to be a good buddy and I carry a 2l pony for my own piece of mind. Pop the valve out and it fits in my carry on. I have no problem being buddied with a newb, I just have no faith in their ability.
So, you have no faith that they could rescue you. You may be able to rescue your buddy, BUT.
Yeah, I agree--it's really a crappshoot no matter how you spin it on SB....

Should I be able to rely on any buddy, absolutely! I still carry my pony on every dive that I don't use 2 equal size cylinders.
I refuse to let poor skills or a lack of awareness affect my safety.

Sounds like a cruise ship style operator to me. Some of it is typical, you just have to know how to deal with it. Here is my advice:
1. Buy your own reg and computer. By it used if necessaryand have it serviced. It's piece of mind. There are so many computers out there, having your own and knowing how to use it is much safer. HOG has some great entry level regulator sets at Dive Right In Scuba for the price of used bigger name brand. Dive computers start at around $200 but can be found used for much less. An air integrated Oceanic pro plus starts at around 400. Again used is less. If you buy used and still don't like diving, you can still get most, if not all, of your money back out of it.
2. I love having my gear set up for me and my wife.....but we still check everything.
3. We research before we leave and only dive with "6 pack" boats that take no more than 6 divers at a time. It's common in the industry.
4. Especially on the first dive, there is the urge to stay next to the dive master. If it gets crowded, just hang back or hang 10 feet above. "Stay with the group" does not mean everyone needs to be in a 20 foot circle. As long as you can see the DM and he can see you, all is good. As far as the wildlife issues, some Dms will what you saw, some point it out and swim by, some are like a biology class stopping at every little thing.
5. Assholes, idiots, and clueless people are everywhere. You will find them even on dive boats. Just a fact of life. Not much different than who you get stuck next to on a plane.
6. It sounds like most of the issues were operator based. The location specific areas of this forum are a tremendous resource to determine who to dive with and who to avoid. Use them, we are here to help.
7. Dive locations are different in their individual personalities. Cozumel is famous for its "babysitting" style of diving. It's great for new divers and sometimes bothersome for more experienced divers. We love it...love everything about it from the diving, food, people, cost, etc. we have dove with several operators down there and never experienced any of the issues regarding the operator side of your problems. But see #5. I have been run over, kicked, etc. it happens, and I have kicked a couple of people as well on tight swim throughs. I always apologize back on board.
8. Computers can be set for so many variables, there is no telling what it was beeping for. I love my Oceanic Pro Plus and it always tells me i have come up too fast. Just grabbing it and pulling it up to see can trigger that alarm.
9. A private DM in Cozumel is $50 for a 2 tank dive. Totally not necessary, but an extra comfort margin for a new diver. On our first trip, We chartered our own boat for 4 of us and it was $15 more per head to do it than a regular dive boat. We were on a cruise and knew we did not want to dive with the ships company, I was worried about getting back on time. If your on a cruise, I would advise against booking with the cruise ships dive company. There are just too many better and cheaper options out there.
10. Your experience can be typical of larger dive operations. Smaller, service oriented, operations are easy to find in this forum and most of the problems will not be an issue....again...see #5.
Before your next trip, use these forums. I can't recommend Cozumel enough for new divers. Message me if you want my preferred operators. Good luck and safe travels.
Jay

Buddy system fails time and time again in the Accidents forum. If a CESA doesn't seem easy and comfortable, I'd carry a pony or switch up to doubles.

Doesn't matter how great your buddy is. When the buddy system fails, people die. That's a lot of trust to drop on a stranger. If you can mitigate the risk, do so.

Is this generally what I should expect from group dives?

Yes. This is the norm is some locations when you are starting off as a new diver. Over time you'll figure out what works and what doesn't. It's a big ocean, have fun out there!

We are back from the cruise and things went pretty well. The was a core group of about 14 divers that dove in Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. About half were pretty experienced and the rest were newbies like my boyfriend and I (just out of OW certification dives). The experienced divers were very cool and helpful, and all of us newbies were very honest and upfront with the DMs about our status (no crap like claiming to be super experienced based on 10 dives). Several pairings were an experienced diver parent with a newbie son or daughter (all over 20 at least, no young children). Each dive operation broke us up into groups of 6 or 8 based on experience, with a dive master assigned to each. You guys were absolutely right - at each spot the DMs said something to the effect of "you are all certified divers so stick with your buddies and act accordingly". They gave detailed dive plan descriptions, and led each group. We saw beautiful reefs and tons of marine life including several spotted eagle rays, moray eels, lots of grouper, turtles, all kinds of tropical fish and my new best friend the Belizian remora that was determined to hitch a ride back to NYC on my leg (he was persistent as hell but failed). Since most of the newbie group wasn't quite as deep as the dive master but we were, we avoided much of the traffic jam that occurred above with the rest of the group. We did make a point of getting clear when the DM found something interesting as a thrashing crowd scene would converge, but even stepped back we still got to see whatever creature the DM found. We had a great time. We already had a trip booked to Roatan, but I also want to return to Cozumel as soon as we can.

We are back from the cruise and things went pretty well. The was a core group of about 14 divers that dove in Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. About half were pretty experienced and the rest were newbies like my boyfriend and I (just out of OW certification dives). The experienced divers were very cool and helpful, and all of us newbies were very honest and upfront with the DMs about our status (no crap like claiming to be super experienced based on 10 dives). Several pairings were an experienced diver parent with a newbie son or daughter (all over 20 at least, no young children). Each dive operation broke us up into groups of 6 or 8 based on experience, with a dive master assigned to each. You guys were absolutely right - at each spot the DMs said something to the effect of "you are all certified divers so stick with your buddies and act accordingly". They gave detailed dive plan descriptions, and led each group. We saw beautiful reefs and tons of marine life including several spotted eagle rays, moray eels, lots of grouper, turtles, all kinds of tropical fish and my new best friend the Belizian remora that was determined to hitch a ride back to NYC on my leg (he was persistent as hell but failed). Since most of the newbie group wasn't quite as deep as the dive master but we were, we avoided much of the traffic jam that occurred above with the rest of the group. We did make a point of getting clear when the DM found something interesting as a thrashing crowd scene would converge, but even stepped back we still got to see whatever creature the DM found. We had a great time. We already had a trip booked to Roatan, but I also want to return to Cozumel as soon as we can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom