Islamorada / Tavernier Dive Shop Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just returned from a week's diving with Conch Republic divers and I would highly recomend them. Gary and Brenda's dive operation could not have treated us better!! Jim our boat capt was incredibly knowlegable and professional. We are already talking about a return trip.

I dove with Conch Republic last May. I was very pleased with the service and support I received. They also got us a discount at Ocean Pointe Condominiums. My wife is a non-diver and enjoyed the amenities at OP while I was diving. I thought that this would also be a neat place to stay http://www.tavernierhotel.com/index.html

I'm a big fan of Barb and Bob at Divers City (someone else listed the name of their boat Diversity). It's a small operation with just the two of them, but they really take care of you. I took my AOW with them and learned a great deal. http://www.diverscityusa.com

July 05 is a looong time ago in diveland. The bearded guy (is gone) ...we have lunch boxes available from the K.L. Coffee House.... Check us out, I'm sure you'll have an excellent dive trip. [/quote]
Chris, Thanks for a response. I get to K.L. every few weeks and have generally heard good things about Silent World, even before you got it, so was surprised at the experience. (Re K.L.C.H.: I think a rented a condo up the road a few years ago from L.D. THAT was very disappointing. I'm not a negative person; I've just stopped accepting bad service without speaking up. I digress.) Anyway, I do plan on trying S.W. again in the not-too-distant future.

They also got us a discount at Ocean Pointe Condominiums.QUOTE:
Yeah, a couple of trips ago they got me on at Ocean Pointe also. The condo was really nice-- no hassles, and reasonably priced. Until I got home and saw my credit card bill. They had charged an extra (can't remember, $50 or $100 or so) on my card, after I left. The room was paid for BEFORE I arrived, and I was highly displeased when I saw the extra charge, because I was alone in a 2 BR condo, and did not damage or mess up anything, unless you call getting the smell of wet neoprene in the 2nd bathroom messing it up! I disputed the charge and let American Express handle it, and it was taken off.

You gotta love all these people trying to push their own businesses in Key Largo. LOL
You asked about Tavernier and Islamorada.
Barbara and Bob are my favorites too. Call them ahead of time and give them a heads up on where you want to go.

PS Pat used to be my favorite until she sold. Pat's a lot of fun.

RedCash02:
I'm a big fan of Barb and Bob at Divers City (someone else listed the name of their boat Diversity). It's a small operation with just the two of them, but they really take care of you. I took my AOW with them and learned a great deal. http://www.diverscityusa.com

Ok The Drive Thing Makes Me Crazy, If You Are In Islamorada And You Want To Get To A Dive Shop In Key Largo It Is Only Going To Take You 15 Min That Is Not Very Long At All And It Even Seems Shorter Because As Your Going Your Looking At All The Stuff On The Sides Of The Roads And For You Single Guys, The Woman Walking On The Sides Of The Roads. It Seems Like A Long Way Because Your Used To Alot Of Red Lights And City Traffic, You Don't Have It Down Here, Traffic Yes But Your All Heading In The Same Direction North Or South. It Takes Me From M68 To MM100 Only 25-30 Min And I Drive It All The Time.... So Don't Let MM ( Mile Markers) Change Your Mind On Your Dive Shops. Find A Shop You Like And That Fits Your Diving Needs...... Just A Lil Bit Of Advice Can Go A Long Way If You Take It

Bomber:
You gotta love all these people trying to push their own businesses in Key Largo. LOL You asked about Tavernier and Islamorada. Barbara and Bob are my favorites too. Call them ahead of time and give them a heads up on where you want to go.
PS Pat used to be my favorite until she sold. Pat's a lot of fun.

If want to dive w/ Barb and Bob, you better hurry, the business is for sale.

When you speak about Pat, are you talking about Pat from Ocean Quest?? If so, they were always a hoot to dive with. I started diving w/ OQDC back when Matt Bellinger owned it and it was located on the Plantation Yacht Harbor Resort property.

Bomber...

If you would check many of my posts, you will see I suggest people call around and find a shop that fits your personality. There aren't THAT many shops in the Islamorada/Tavernier area....so beat me, whip me and don't let me dive for 24 horus for suggesting a poster open up their options!

P.S. If you're talking about me (Pat)--I haven't gone anywhere!

weaponeer:
Sorry for straying.... my intention was to say that we'd like a dive operator close-by, so I must limit our search to Islamorada and Tavernier. Also, dive operator must offer site trips from Speigel Grove to Eagle, and all wrecks/reefs in-between.

If you want to restrict your options, that's fine. But keep in mind that it takes a whole lot less time to cover 5 miles in a car than in a boat, so you might want to plot out your dive sites and see which charter is closest. The boat ride to many dive sites is shorter with the Key Largo ops.

Personally, I find the distance from Islamorada to Key Largo to be insignificant. It's really nice to have the dive op right onsite where you can walk from your room, but if I have to load up the car and drive, I couldn't care less if it's another 5 or 10 minutes as long as it gets me to a dive op I like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom