Islamorada / Tavernier Dive Shop Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diversity ,they are great. In Key Largo, Silient world is very good we dove with them in october.

And unless things changed since last year, SilentWorld has two boats, so if one doesn't suit you, the other may. Often one boat is doing wrecks while the other is off to the reefs.

Does anyone bother to read the OP? They asked for info on Islamorada / Tavernier, not KEY LARGO.

granted they are only 10 miles apart, but :shakehead

MsParamedic:
Yes Howarde....I can read!

Pat
I noticed you say "even though we are in Key Largo" - yes... it's all the others too. I'm just trying to keep it on topic :wink:

howarde:
I noticed you say "even though we are in Key Largo" - yes... it's all the others too. I'm just trying to keep it on topic :wink:
Thanks, Howarde, for straightening up the ranks.

I will add that we will be staying in Islamorada at the Ragged Edge resort (http://www.ragged-edge.com), MM 86.5. It's a great place, if you like secluded and quiet, which we do. Great water view, fishing boat dockage, and the other people staying there have always been pleasant. Added benefit of staying where fishermen stay - freshly caught and cooked fish!!!! (We supply the beer!!)

Sorry for straying.... my intention was to say that we'd like a dive operator close-by, so I must limit our search to Islamorada and Tavernier. Also, dive operator must offer site trips from Speigel Grove to Eagle, and all wrecks/reefs in-between.

So far, Conch Republic is getting the most recommendations.

Conch Republic: Great people and op!
Re: Silent World: I dove with them once in 7/'05. Signed up in the shop. The bearded guy running it was very laid back (read apathetic). Said I didn't have time to pick up any lunch and I'd have to hurry to their marina to make it on time. OK, I can certainly appreciate not keeping people waiting. I got there ~35 minutes before their scheduled departure. A little while later the AM boat got into dock. After a 45-50 minute turnaround we departed; about 30 minutes late. The boat crew were OK but I was miffed at needlessly going hungry all afternoon. Haven't been back to them since.
Other ops: Ocean Divers run a nice big boat. (I wouldn't have said that when I first went out with them in '95 but have come to like them since then. They don't put a time limit on your dives.) Scuba Do was fantastic! They have new owners and I went out with them once a couple of months ago. They still have a good op but I haven't been enough times yet to give a blanket Atta-boy. HMS Minnow: 6-Pack. Fantastic. Gets you there and back without a hassle. The skipper also has a dry sense of humor which must be appreciated. (So much for an Army puke) These latter shops are in K.L. and are a quick jaunt to the Spiegel. HTH.

F106A:
Re: Silent World: I dove with them once in 7/'05. Signed up in the shop. The bearded guy running it was very laid back (read apathetic). Said I didn't have time to pick up any lunch and I'd have to hurry to their marina to make it on time. OK, I can certainly appreciate not keeping people waiting. I got there ~35 minutes before their scheduled departure. A little while later the AM boat got into dock. After a 45-50 minute turnaround we departed; about 30 minutes late. The boat crew were OK but I was miffed at needlessly going hungry all afternoon. Haven't been back to them since.
Other ops: Ocean Divers run a nice big boat. (I wouldn't have said that when I first went out with them in '95 but have come to like them since then. They don't put a time limit on your dives.) Scuba Do was fantastic! They have new owners and I went out with them once a couple of months ago. They still have a good op but I haven't been enough times yet to give a blanket Atta-boy. HMS Minnow: 6-Pack. Fantastic. Gets you there and back without a hassle. The skipper also has a dry sense of humor which must be appreciated. (So much for an Army puke) These latter shops are in K.L. and are a quick jaunt to the Spiegel. HTH.
Gotta 2nd HMS Minnow

For information or reservations contact: Telephone: (305) 451-7834
Toll Free: (800) 366-9301
Capt. Jeff Jarvis
P.O. Box 1104
Key Largo, Florida
United States Of America 33037
or
Email: HMS Minnow

Small boat; 26' - takes 6 divers max

Much closer to the wrecks like Bibb, Dwayne, Speigal Grove thank operators in Islamorada.

Islamorada has some great dive spots too

F106A:

July 05 is a looong time ago in diveland. The bearded guy sold to my wife and I in April 06, and we have lunch boxes available from the Key Largo Coffee House for $6.95- panini or sandwich with chips and a drink, delivered right to the dock. Check us out, I'm sure you'll have an excellent dive trip. Regarding dive times, everyone has a limit, otherwise all sorts of problems ensue such as late afternoon departures, customers missing lifts etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom