Islamorada / Tavernier Dive Shop Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaponeer:
Thanks, Howarde, for straightening up the ranks.

Sorry for straying.... my intention was to say that we'd like a dive operator close-by, so I must limit our search to Islamorada and Tavernier. Also, dive operator must offer site trips from Speigel Grove to Eagle, and all wrecks/reefs in-between.

Yep, I was talking about Pat from OceanQuest.

Personally:
I agree. Don't get too hung up on being spoiled! I LOVE dive resorts, but...

From the mountains on NC, it's like about 7-8 hrs of haulin it to get to Morehead City for fantastic wreck diving, 5 1/2-6 hrs to Wilmington, 5 hrs to Myrtle, even to Charleston and the Cooper River (go brown water!), it's about 4 or so. It takes us 7-8 hrs to get to cave country... Need I go on?

You get the drift, I bet. 10-15 minutes is nothing, nada. Stay where you like. Dive with who you like. Don't sweat a few minutes to get there.

Bomber:
You gotta love all these people trying to push their own businesses in Key Largo. LOL
You asked about Tavernier and Islamorada.
Barbara and Bob are my favorites too. Call them ahead of time and give them a heads up on where you want to go.

PS Pat used to be my favorite until she sold. Pat's a lot of fun.

Divers City is one of my favorites in all the Keys. I also did some advanced training there. Barb and Bob are great hosts...I though Bob was one of the most thorough instuctors I had trained with, tough but fair. I enjoy the personized service and flexability of thier scedules and sites. I was just with them for diving 2 weeks ago, had a great dive trip!!!!!! If they have to sell, its a loss to the Keys, but thats what all the new developments seem to be doing there.. Pushing out the old local places like Kellys on the Bay (R.I.P) for playgrounds for the rich and famous .....

deepstops:
If want to dive w/ Barb and Bob, you better hurry, the business is for sale.

That is not good news. They have an excellent operation. I recommend them (Diver's City) and Conch Republic in Tavernier. Both are great choices.

Chris at Silent World:
July 05 is a looong time ago in diveland. The bearded guy sold to my wife and I in April 06

This, OTHO, is good news, knowing it's owned by other folks, I might just give it another try. I wasn't terribly impressed before. They always wanted to take folks to that God forsaken statue where there's nothing to see.

Bomber:
You gotta love all these people trying to push their own businesses in Key Largo. LOL
You asked about Tavernier and Islamorada.
Barbara and Bob are my favorites too. Call them ahead of time and give them a heads up on where you want to go.

PS Pat used to be my favorite until she sold. Pat's a lot of fun.

Well I don't own, have interest in, or even live near KL but I know a good dive operation and Conch Republic and sea dwellers treated me pretty good also. I am sure a lot of dive operators are striving to get repeat clientel so they are looking for to go the extra mile to earn them. Never the less, Conch Republic is a GREAT operation!

Call ahead, make a few reservations, dive a couple differant operations and make your own decisions. Thats the best way to find who treats YOU the way you want to be treated. But never :no ever:no ever :no go out when the sea's a re 5 to 7 all operators are not going out and an operator says, I'll take you but theres no refunds and no whining once the boat leaves the dock. :11doh:

We will be diving with Cristal Clear Charters this weekend. Will report back. We are staying at Tropic vista and can walk out the door and onto the boat in seconds. We have stayed @ Tropic Vista but dove with SW. Thought we would give CCC a try this time. Just to bad the freebie is not available this month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom