It's enough to make you cry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sure,, why not.. Oh, I nearly took a header on my basement stairs yesterday, and im sure that George Bush had somthing to do with it. Im assembling a crack team of investigators to check it out, there was also an incident where we were rained out of a picnic we were planing last summer, and there is evidence that the Republican party was responsible for that too. Somthing to do with their super secret weather changing dooms day weapon being aimed at my house. A week later I found a dead Robin in the back yard when I was mowing, just more evidence that somthing sinister, and terrible will happen soon.

renpirate:
You know folks it is kind of like knocking your head against the wall talking to anti-global warming people. If someone is unwilling to change their mind in the face of overwhelming evidence, there is no point in argueing. They will continue to use questionable sources to backup their claims, one of the sad facts of the internet is that anyone can post anything.

exactly

dbg40:
sure,, why not.. Oh, I nearly took a header on my basement stairs yesterday, and im sure that George Bush had somthing to do with it. Im assembling a crack team of investigators to check it out, there was also an incident where we were rained out of a picnic we were planing last summer, and there is evidence that the Republican party was responsible for that too. Somthing to do with their super secret weather changing dooms day weapon being aimed at my house. A week later I found a dead Robin in the back yard when I was mowing, just more evidence that somthing sinister, and terrible will happen soon.
Maybe it was only a hint to send in your dues and donation. :D

renpirate:
You know folks it is kind of like knocking your head against the wall talking to anti-global warming people. If someone is unwilling to change their mind in the face of overwhelming evidence, there is no point in argueing. They will continue to use questionable sources to backup their claims, one of the sad facts of the internet is that anyone can post anything.
We don't drink the Kool-Aid, we make it.:D

dlndavid:

that's why I come here,, good information, and a fresh point of view. Im sure you're on to somthing there. Im going to bury a dollar in the back yard, and with the constant surveilance im under from the republicans, im sure that the secret skull and bones club will be able to yoink it up without being seen. Peace and prosperity will surely follow!

dlndavid:

that's why I come here,, good information, and a fresh point of view. Im sure you're on to somthing there. Im going to bury a dollar in the back yard, and with the constant surveilance im under from the republicans, im sure that the secret skull and bones club will be able to yoink it up without being seen. Peace and prosperity will surely follow!

Personally I blame the media. The tendency to hyperbole is mirrored on this thread.

Either the planet is doomed or everyone can own Hummer H1's without guilt :wink:

The reality is somewhat more subtle. To take a proper objective look at the hard science behind the claims, I would recommend Bjorn Lomborg's excellent book "The Skeptical Environmentalist". http://www.lomborg.com/

Based on careful analysis of the science he concluded that many of the claims by the green movement were not generally substantiated by the results of the science. One by one, he goes through the “litany”, as he calls it, of four big environmental fears:

• Natural resources are running out.

• The population is ever growing, leaving less and less to eat.

• Species are becoming rapidly extinct, forests are vanishing and fish stocks are collapsing.

• Air and water are becoming ever more polluted.

In each case, he demonstrated that the doom and gloom is wildly exaggerated. Known reserves of fossil fuels and most metals have risen. Agricultural production per head has risen; the numbers facing starvation have declined. The threat of biodiversity loss is real but exaggerated, as is the problem of tropical deforestation. And pollution diminishes as countries grow richer and tackle it energetically.

However here's the interesting part. Even Lomborg agrees that global warming is taking place (and the science he studied supported this). The question then becomes how bad is the problem, how fast is it happening and what to do about it ?

Claims that www.junkscience.com somehow show that there is no global warming is a bit like using the www.weeklyworldnews.com to prove the existance of life on other planets. Just because they claim it's true doesn't make it science.....

bradshsi:
Personally I blame the media. The tendency to hyperbole is mirrored on this thread.

Either the planet is doomed or everyone can own Hummer H1's without guilt :wink:

The reality is somewhat more subtle. To take a proper objective look at the hard science behind the claims, I would recommend Bjorn Lomborg's excellent book "The Skeptical Environmentalist". http://www.lomborg.com/

Based on careful analysis of the science he concluded that many of the claims by the green movement were not generally substantiated by the results of the science. One by one, he goes through the “litany”, as he calls it, of four big environmental fears:

• Natural resources are running out.

• The population is ever growing, leaving less and less to eat.

• Species are becoming rapidly extinct, forests are vanishing and fish stocks are collapsing.

• Air and water are becoming ever more polluted.

In each case, he demonstrated that the doom and gloom is wildly exaggerated. Known reserves of fossil fuels and most metals have risen. Agricultural production per head has risen; the numbers facing starvation have declined. The threat of biodiversity loss is real but exaggerated, as is the problem of tropical deforestation. And pollution diminishes as countries grow richer and tackle it energetically.

However here's the interesting part. Even Lomborg agrees that global warming is taking place (and the science he studied supported this). The question then becomes how bad is the problem, how fast is it happening and what to do about it ?

Claims that www.junkscience.com somehow show that there is no global warming is a bit like using the www.weeklyworldnews.com to prove the existance of life on other planets. Just because they claim it's true doesn't make it science.....

Well said, and with all of my poking fun, I only want to express that given these things are true, there is little evidence that man is the culprit, and should be condemned to death as a species. Too much point, counterpoint exists on both sides for anyone to start going crazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom