Its not the size of your sausage.....its how you used it!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok!

Tell us all your stories!

Tell me about a situation when you had to deploy the ever famous "Safety Sausage"......

NightRaven77 :crafty:

Since I have done most of my diving in calm, tropical waters, I haven't had much ocasion to carry one. But I have deployed one that was attached to a friend!

It made him say a naughty word that I clearly heard at 60'. :05:

In cozumel I had the opportunity to watch my buddy deploy his 9ft safety sausage.

I also had the opportunity to untangle my buddy from his 9ft safety sausage on the same dive. :D

At Looe Key we use the things to attach to the bottom of our mooring line, so we know which one goes to our boat! It's like a freaking parking lot most summer days!

Its not the size of your sausage.....its how you used it!!

no... it is the size of the sausage

I was part of a group of three on a dive flag off of Ft. Lauderdale. I had the camera, and had stopped to take a picture of a small eel in the reef. When I looked up - the others had gone. I did the look around for one minute, and started up.

Since I wasn't on a flag any longer, I was worried about getting run over by one of the boats that you could hear buzzing around the reef line. As I pulled my sausage out, I realized I had forgotten to slip the small spool and line I use to deploy it into my bc pocket. So I inflated it, held it at arms length and surfaced.

I know scared the boat crew because as soon as they saw the sausage they came racing over. I signed OK and told them I had used it just to keep from getting run over. Once up I found my group's flag and descended down to meet them.

We all had a chat afterward about buddy procedures and awareness.

Marc

Hmmm. Out of my last 20 dives ive used my DSMB (which you call safety sausage...) 18 times. Its normal :)

Deploy it 5 mins before surfacing and by the time stops are completed the boat should be waiting for you next to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom