Its not the size of your sausage.....its how you used it!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought of starting a new thread but I guess this is still a bit on track because it is about safety. But feel free to move it.

What do you think of the SOS from Aqualung/Seaquest? It's the one that goes on your rear lower right dump valve.

Paul P:
What do you think of the SOS from Aqualung/Seaquest? It's the one that goes on your rear lower right dump valve.

I see a lot of people asking the same question on other boards/sites. It certainly looks interesting and the price isn't absurd.
But,
is there any risk of accidental inflation?
will it still function if you have a punctured BC?
does it increase drag while finning UW?
does the rear dump valve still function normally?

Lat. Adjustment:
. The easiest to spot was a 10' yellow monster followed by lime and orange, do not buy red!

Depends on where you are, in a lot of Europe, red is the 'normal' dsmb, yellow is a back-up/emergency signal only and an emergency of some sort will be assumed until proved otherwise - like anything essential carry at least 2 red and one yellow

The RAF and MCA here did tests in visibility testing various devices and colours.

Have a look at http://www.jeanelaine.co.uk/diveraids/experiment.htm for a shortened version of the results.

From memory it concluded the red colour DSMB was the most visibile colour when searching from a surface vessel and yellow was easier to spot from the air.

Although not rock solid standard here, a red DSMB generally indicated "all is well - here i am" and a yellow bag is the "oh sh1t" marker. Commonly used to mean "Need more gas" or if a slate attached, another problem.

String:
Although not rock solid standard here, a red DSMB generally indicated "all is well - here i am" and a yellow bag is the "oh sh1t" marker. Commonly used to mean "Need more gas" or if a slate attached, another problem.

There used to be a subtlety, which still holds true in some places. As String states the red bag is "OK".
However the diver may have had problems with his red bag and been forced to use his yellow one. So the convention can be:
Red only - OK
Yellow only - don't take risks to get there quickly but don't dally about.
Red and Yellow together - definite emergency - get help as fast as possible.

The ideal is to let the boat driver know what convention you want to use.

The ideal is to let the boat driver know what convention you want to use.

Thats the most important thing, as there is no fixed standard only unofficial conventions before any diver make sure the surface cover is fully briefed on what colours mean what and so on.

miketsp:
I see a lot of people asking the same question on other boards/sites. It certainly looks interesting and the price isn't absurd.
But,
is there any risk of accidental inflation?
will it still function if you have a punctured BC?
does it increase drag while finning UW?
does the rear dump valve still function normally?

I have one of these actually.

I don't think there's a real risk of accidental inflation, there's a clip keeping it rolled up that you need to pull before you inflate it.

I would say it depends on how badly it's punctured, if it doesn't hold air at all, I would say probably, you won't be able to inflate it.

I haven't noticed a big difference in drag.

No, the rear dump valve is used exclusively for the sausage. I never really used my rear dump, so this wasn't a problem for me.

Peace,
Cathie

No, the rear dump valve is used exclusively for the sausage. I never really used my rear dump, so this wasn't a problem for me.

Peace,
Cathie[/QUOTE]

My BCD is a Black Diamond so it has two rear dump valves. Although the bladder being U shaped.... some air might be stuck in the other side if you can only use one side.

Reading the other posts, there seem to be a lot of people who use the sausage while they are still under water. Cathie, is this possible with the SOS? Or can you just use it on the surface?

Paul P:
CuriousMe:

Peace,
Cathie

My BCD is a Black Diamond so it has two rear dump valves. Although the bladder being U shaped.... some air might be stuck in the other side if you can only use one side.

Reading the other posts, there seem to be a lot of people who use the sausage while they are still under water. Cathie, is this possible with the SOS? Or can you just use it on the surface?

Nope, it's a surface only kinda thing. If I'm doing Live Boat Diving, I have another sausage that I put in my BC pocket with line attached to it. (no reel or anything).

I like it for the surface, because I often have my camera in my hands....so, once I deploy the sausage on my BC....I don't have to hold it, it's attached.

Peace,
Cathie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom