Its not the size of your sausage.....its how you used it!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one, and use my rear dump all the time, it is fully functional. My problem, is with the clip. This sausage has a clip to attach to your d ring to keep it upright (I bring it over my right shoulder and attach to my right shoulder d ring). The one time I deployed it, I couldn't keep it upright, and with it behind me, it was a pain to hold on to. I'm going to try shortening the line and see if that improves it.

CuriousMe:
I have one of these actually.

I don't think there's a real risk of accidental inflation, there's a clip keeping it rolled up that you need to pull before you inflate it.

I would say it depends on how badly it's punctured, if it doesn't hold air at all, I would say probably, you won't be able to inflate it.

I haven't noticed a big difference in drag.

No, the rear dump valve is used exclusively for the sausage. I never really used my rear dump, so this wasn't a problem for me.

Peace,
Cathie

miketsp:
The ideal is to let the boat driver know what convention you want to use.

The convention we use here in Kona (at least with the local technical diving operator)
is one bag/smb is "we're Ok, doing drifting deco" and 2 bags is "there's a problem, we
need something".

FWIW -

One time, when I was on a dive, a squall moved in while I was underwater. We get these all the time in South Florida in the Summer.

It was so strong that the dive boat's anchor line broke. The captain circled just outside of the area to avoid running over divers in the water. Meanwhile, underwater, we returned to our start point but there was no boat.

When we surfaced, it was raining, windy and foggy. Seas went from relatively calm before getting in the water to probably four foot seas. There was no way for the boat captain to see anyone.

So I inflated my five footer and used my dive alert. Together, the sound attracted attention to our direction and the sausage caught the captain's eye.

I think that everyone on the boat that day bought one of each before their next outing.

ScubaDadMiami:
When we surfaced, it was raining, windy and foggy.

Just a technical doubt.
I believe it is impossible to have these 3 conditions simultaneously.
Fog exists if the atmospheric visibility near the Earth's surface is reduced to 1 kilometer or less. Fog can be composed of water droplets, ice crystals or smoke particles. Fogs composed primarily of water droplets are classified according to the process that causes the air to cool to saturation. Common types of this type of fog include: radiation fog; upslope fog; advection fog; evaporation fog; ice fog; and frontal fog.
Given heavy rain & wind the visibility can be reduced but it's not fog.

thanks for the post looks like i got another thing i got to buy now. but it give me another reason to visit my lds. looks like it has come in handy and thanks for the idea to strimline that was my biggest concern when i saw the thing on another diver. I haven't used one yet but i've only got 33 dives in so sooner or later i will need it.
alex t.

ReefGuy:
I have one, and use my rear dump all the time, it is fully functional. My problem, is with the clip. This sausage has a clip to attach to your d ring to keep it upright (I bring it over my right shoulder and attach to my right shoulder d ring). The one time I deployed it, I couldn't keep it upright, and with it behind me, it was a pain to hold on to. I'm going to try shortening the line and see if that improves it.

Cool, glad it's still functional....did I mention that I never really used my rear dump anyway? :wink:

As far as the clip....I use the band to put around part of the back of my BC....keeps it close to me and away from the front of my BC.

Peace,
Cathie

miketsp:
Just a technical doubt.
I believe it is impossible to have these 3 conditions simultaneously.
Fog exists if the atmospheric visibility near the Earth's surface is reduced to 1 kilometer or less. Fog can be composed of water droplets, ice crystals or smoke particles. Fogs composed primarily of water droplets are classified according to the process that causes the air to cool to saturation. Common types of this type of fog include: radiation fog; upslope fog; advection fog; evaporation fog; ice fog; and frontal fog.
Given heavy rain & wind the visibility can be reduced but it's not fog.

Actually, I've seen all three myself.
Hot day with high humidity, sudden rain with cold front drops the temp well below the dew point, and with the cold front also comes wind.

Mother nature has a lot of surprises. Just when you think you have the weather figured out, she throws you a new one that doesn't follow the rules. Of course, don't forget we make the rules, mother nature makes the weather, and she's been at it a lot longer than we have.

pt40fathoms:
Actually, I've seen all three myself.
Hot day with high humidity, sudden rain with cold front drops the temp well below the dew point, and with the cold front also comes wind.

That's not "simultaneous", which is what I believe Mike is referring to with his technical comments.

PT40, you're describing a weather progression from one state to another; that's two different time periods.

Stupid question about the sausage. I have an Akona one and I can't figure out to how inflate it. It didn't seem like oral inflation was the way to go but I can't think of another way and when I tried, I didn't get any air into it.
I could have been having a very blond day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom