Jacket Inflate...Back Inflate...BP/Wings? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Titan8883

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver and have begun the task of collecting my own set of dive gear. I was simply wondering if you guys could help me out with something. So far throughout getting my OW cert and a few dives with friends, I have only seen/used Jacket Inflate BCD's. As a new diver, is this typically where one starts? Or should I also consider back inflate or BP/Wings at this early stage? Your opinions would be very helpful. There are so many options it is hard to even narrow down my search.

no such thing as too early a stage. just get a bp/wing setup. it will be the last bc you will ever own. take it from someone who has gone through too much gear and learnt it the expensive way.

My first bc was a jacket style and it was great. Then after reading all the hype here on bp and wings I just had to try one. I havent had my jacket style on since then. The trick is.....bp and wings are different amoung themselves just as jacket style feel different amoung themselves. Try a couple out and see what you like. If you are looking for a good brand...at a good price...try... www.northeastscubasupply.com and check out their $449 package. It is all DiveRite gear and a great deal. I got the same package and love it.
rich

I did some research and started off with an Oxycheq BP and 30# wing. I've never been sorry. I tried a couple of Jacket styles and 1 back BC (Oceanic Chute III) and found them to have too much extra material on them (esp. in the front with all those pockets and cummerbunds).

I like the open, streamlined feeling of the BP/Wing. Of course prepare to get some **** from the tropical dive op's ("Oh, what do you need that for"...etc.).

Anything I need to carry is either on the waist band or in my dive-rite bellowed thigh pocket.

divegeek:
I like the open, streamlined feeling of the BP/Wing. Of course prepare to get some **** from the tropical dive op's ("Oh, what do you need that for"...etc.).
Be careful not to group all of us 'tropical dive ops'. I use a BP&W and I wouldn't have it any other way. LOL :cheers:

While I have had more than 20 different jacket and BP&W products over the past 15 years, I have finally found one that I truely like. A Jet Harness. at www.JetHarness.com
It is a custom fitted BP&W specificly designed for single tanks.

Be sure to ask yourself a few questions about the kind of diving you anticipate doing, along with the your requirements and expectations from your BCD. Then post your response and you will get a more definitive and direct answer to your question of "which BCD for me".

Definitely try a back inflate BC before deciding. It is preferred by nearly all the recreational divers I dive with, as well as me.

A few do prefer the jacket style. A couple use the BP/W, though I really don't have much use for this setup on a single tank for rec dives--with doubles for tech, absolutely the way to go.

This is one of the decisions you cannot let the group make for you. Dive a few dives with each of the 3 basic options and see what is comfortable and effective for YOU. THEN consult the board on what brand, style, and options to buy.

My opinion is biased in favor of my preferences and experience, as are all the others you will receive. Do some diving and form your own opinion.

theskull (who regularly dives with 2 different back-inflate BCs, 1 jacket style, and 1 BP/W with 2 different sets of wings)

While I like my BP&W for single tanks, its a personal decision, and I think everyone should try a few BC's to determine which is the right one for you. I prefer back inflation BC's, and I was very happy with a Seaquest Balance BC before I got my Oxycheq wing. Some people really do like jacket style BC's. However, back inflation BC's will help you to achieve better trim underwater. Good Luck with your decision...

Titan8883:
So far throughout getting my OW cert and a few dives with friends, I have only seen/used Jacket Inflate BCD's.

Welcome to the fun. I'm a new diver too, with a whopping 21 dives under my wet suit. You may or may not like my view, but, out of the 21 dives I have, 7 have been with rear inflation BC and remainder with the jacket style you mention.

I have the concern that most shops do a disservice to the new divers by not giving them the experience of the back inflate. However, I can why they choose not to use it in basica OW.

If you are not comfortable in the water and well aware of your orientation, a back inflate will put you on your face every time. It is the nature of this type of BC.

That said, a little common sense goes a long way.

The setup I'm going to buy is the Zeagle Ranger. It will handle doubles when you are ready for them. Just took a Zeagle escape (more lightweight version of the Ranger) on vacation to Jamaica and tested out the design in the ocean. Had some pretty have wave action on the surface the BC was superb.

As for comfort, you can't beat a back inflate. No rib crushing.

Bottom line is, find one to either borrow or rent and see how you feel about the setup. It is different than you are used to, but not an overwhelming difference.

That's my 2 cents worth. :wink:

Brian

My hubby got a Zeagle Ranger and loves it. Some people i know have said that they don't like the Ranger because it has too many options and stuff going on and you spend more time futzing with it than diving with it but he loves it. I got a Ladyhawk, also back inflate and though I haven't landed on my face yet, I've also been aware of the possibility and compensated for it.
Bottom line, go with what you're most comfortable with and with what fits the best. I don't know anything about BP/W so I didn't really look at them for my first BC.

Have fun.

I borrowed a DiveRite BackPlate today and tried it out. I am a VERY new diver. In fact, I won't have my c-card for another week or so as we are waiting for my wife's drysuit to arrive. Anyhow, the backplate was great! It felt less restrictive and was suprisingly comfortable.
I'll certainly be getting one.

DrDuktayp

Oh, the dive was in confined water with an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom