Jackson Blue Accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the wisdom (more specifically the lack there of) of diving when advised not to by a doctor. Additionally also underscores the problem of trying to rely how one "feels" to judge one's health. Medical conditions can and should trump all other go - no go decisions.

This is basic PADI OW stuff. Really isn't a WKPP or DIR issue unless the ME's reports a cause of death not related to the victim's currently report health concern's. There really doesn't seem to be anything the WKKP could do prevent something like this. He was after all on "medical leave" from the WKPP.

Medical contraindications to diving exist for a reason.

Peace,
Sam

Originally posted by large_diver
No one would slam the WKPP over things like this if a certain vocal member wasn't so callous regarding the deaths of so-called "strokes".
You'll also get no argument from me on this...

Roak

Hello,

Not trying to slam or talk bad about anyone/anything but wasn't this one of the 'dir' divers who died?

Ed

Hey Ed,

Yes, he was a "DIR diver" and -NO- that had nothing to do with his death! I am not an advocate of their attitudes and opinions (ask a few), but have nothing but good to say about their underwater techniques. Apparently he was advised by those in charge of the project AND his doctor to not dive. He was obviously NOT following DIR guidelines (and so NOT a true DIR diver) if he continued to dive. That he chose to ignore such timely advice reflects on no one but himself. He paid for his mistake with his life, and I for one extend my condolences to all who survive him. If any of us learn to be a wimp through this and learn to cancel dives when they are not appropriate, then just maybe his death was not in vain. As it is, we should learn from this, but not make it into an "I told you so"... not that I am insinuating that you were trying to do so. I just wanted to clear things up, BEFORE someone misconstrues them.

The last post just before this one was deleted. I feel it crossed the lines of good taste and lack of respect.

This "Technical Forum" has some special guidelines that KN & LD allowed me to run it in a bit more "lively" atmosphere with fewer guidelines. Due to the fact that different theories and agencies tend to raise passions a bit.

BUT this FORUM will not stoop to the lows as seen on some of the other forums. This has been the 1st moderation in this Forum, let's make it the last.

Thanks

Iguana Don

Hello,

Before someone puts words into my mouth, again, let me say that I was NOT stating the accident had anything to do with the style/type/etc. Last I heard the reason was still pending or unknown as of yet.

I was just wondering. Last time I looked at the 'track record' the claim was not a single death occurred while diving 'dir' but if he was diving 'dir' and he died wouldn't this be the 'first' case? OR is tradition going to play out that he will be disowned and claim he was not 'dir'?

As it was pointed out to me I was lacking 'tact' so let me apologize to anyone who may have been offended by what I stated. I was not making an issue but trying to get some deeply troubling questions answered.

Ed

11/2/01:
Originally posted by roakey
In a very short period of time the WKPP naysayers will be twisting this incident and calling it a "WKPP death."
and
Originally posted by roakey

Bob, no argument from me on this. I was just pointing out that shortly there WILL be folks who DO think who the diver was associated with IS an issue and will be using it as an excuse to slam the WKPP.
Longer than I thought. 1 month 22 days until blacknet tried to form the bridge between this death and DIR:

12/22/01:
Originally posted by blacknet
Hello,

Not trying to slam or talk bad about anyone/anything but wasn't this one of the 'dir' divers who died?

Ed
You anti-DIR folks in this notes file have to get more on the ball, it took only a day or two on other lists to start blaming the WKPP and DIR.

Guy was probably originally trained by PADI too. Why don't you ask if he was PADI diver? Maybe he drank milk as a child, I'm sure we could find a way for that to be a contributory factor to his death somehow.

Roak

Originally posted by blacknet
I was just wondering. Last time I looked at the 'track record' the claim was not a single death occurred while diving 'dir' but if he was diving 'dir' and he died wouldn't this be the 'first' case? OR is tradition going to play out that he will be disowned and claim he was not 'dir'?
No, the track record claim is no WKPP deaths during WKPP dives. DIR has never made any such claim.

But don't let that fact stop you from attacking DIR, please, go right ahead.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom