Jackson point Wreck Lake Simcoe ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StingRob

Contributor
Reaction score
I know there is wreck off Jackson's Point lake Simcoe; I found an older thread on the board talking about this one. People say is called Enterprise, and I heard is a small fishing boat. Does any one have more details about this?

StingRob

Speaking of Jackson's Point - we were just there on Sunday, diving on the marine railway - AKA fish killing zone. Does anyone know what's up with the construction equipment and dock materials? Is our nice little fish hook dodging dive site under threat of extermination? It looks as if the site no longer is under the control of the federal government. I too would like to know how to find the Enterprse.
Neil

I got some clues on where this Enterprise wreck (or different one) is located and I tried myself to find it several times but with no luck. I found some parts of a wreck about 350-450 ft from the shore but that’s it.

StingRob

http://www.scubaboard.com/t34539.html

Forgot to mention here is another article about this wreck..

"Just as DIVER Magazine was going to press, the Stephen Leacock Museum in Orillia, Ontario announced that the wreck of the Mariposa Belle had been discovered in Lake Simcoe by underwater explorer Scott Williamson. Lost for decades, the remains of the Mariposa Belle were found near Sibbald Point near the town of Orillia.

Mariposa Belle, the fabled steamship of Stephen Leacock's Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town plied the waters of Lake Simcoe60 kms north of the city of Torontoat the turn of the century. Originally built as the schooner Enterprise in 1868, she was converted to a dual-engine steam powered ship in 1883 and was a popular fixture on the lake. She first sank in 1903 at the Mulcaster wharf in the city of Barrie. She was refloated, and sailed to the Orillia area where she was stripped and allowed to sink to the bottom of the lake.

"The Enterprise became the Mariposa Belle for Stephen Leacock and the international reading public in 1912 when he transformed her actual demise in the mythic "Marine Excursion of the Knights of Pythis" in Sunshine Sketches Of A Little Town," explained Daphne Mainprize, curator of the Stephen Leacock Museum. "As a result Leacock gave birth to one of the Great Moments of Canadian literature."

According to a press release issued by the museum, curator Mainprize applauds Scott Williamson's discovery and describes it as "one of the most exciting finds of Leacockiana in nearly a century". She also describes the find as being "a complement to the National Historic Site and significant addition to the Museum's interpretive programming."

Efforts will be initiated by the Museum to have the shipwreck recognized and protected.

Scott Williamson is a diver long respected for his knowledge of Lake Simcoe. He was credited recently with saving, from destruction by the local municipality, the sunken remains of the Lake Simcoe Steamship Railway at Jackson's Point (on Lake Simcoe near Orillia)."

http://divermag.com/archives/may99/around_lks_may99.html

StingRob:
I know there is wreck off Jackson's Point lake Simcoe; I found an older thread on the board talking about this one. People say is called Enterprise, and I heard is a small fishing boat. Does any one have more details about this?

StingRob

There was a proposal a couple of years back to expand the marina. I think it involved moving the breakwall further out and completely destroying the railway. I recall a couple of websites about it (here's one http://www.leftmind.net/~adb/ontdive/jp.html ). Maybe they're going ahead with the project. After all, more berths for pleasure boats and local jobs supporting them are more important that historical artifacts that are hidden under water. :wink:
If that is what they're up to, I'm glad we had opportunity to dive it already.

I,m still searching for it.Planning to do several more dives this summer in an attempt to find the Enterprise. Stingrob what area did you search? out from west side of Georgina Island or out from Jacksons Point?

Out from Jackson Point but I'll have to do more dives over there. In fact I dove from Jackson towards Georgina Island... on different angles.
I know a bunch of people are looking for it, there may be more than one wreck... again what I heard about was more like a small fishing boat; Enterprise is apparently a different wreck.

StingRob

simcoediver:
I,m still searching for it.Planning to do several more dives this summer in an attempt to find the Enterprise. Stingrob what area did you search? out from west side of Georgina Island or out from Jacksons Point?

Hi

That wreck was discoverd by Nick Kemp about five years ago. If you need to find out more about it and or its location, I suggest you can contact Nick at H.T ENGINEERING 25992 McCownan Road.RR#3 in Sutton West Ont.

Good luck

Richard

Are you talking about the fishing boat or Enterprise?

StingRob

Mr Adams:
Hi

That wreck was discoverd by Nick Kemp about five years ago. If you need to find out more about it and or its location, I suggest you can contact Nick at H.T ENGINEERING 25992 McCownan Road.RR#3 in Sutton West Ont.

Good luck

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom