James' Handy Dandy Guide to Avoiding Stuff You're Not Interested In

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you soooooo much to both of you for your time well spent. This is way cool.

maria

James Goddard:
...I've taken the liberty of not listing the forums that are opt-in such as singles and B2B, if you don't want to search on those why did you opt-in in the first place?
Those are ones I definitely don't want. Whether one opts in does not matter, they are still there in a search. Where do I find the number of a particular forum I want to add to my exclude list?

liberato:
Those are ones I definitely don't want. Whether one opts in does not matter, they are still there in a search. Where do I find the number of a particular forum I want to add to my exclude list?
Ckick on the forum and read your addres bar, for example singles gives you:

http://www.scubaboard.com/f200-scuba-singles.html

The forum number is 200.

James

I know there is another way of skinning the cat these days by using forum subscriptions. But I prefer my neat-and-tidy subscribed forum view in the User CP - with the functionality of seeing New Posts from all sorts of forums that may interest me.

So I wrote this little HTML page with a simple text manipulation javascript. Save the file locally and double-click it. It takes the HTML source of the Scubaboard forum home page as the input, converts it into a check list, then generates the URL for the New Posts search for you to click or copy & paste into your Favorites.

It is not 100% bulletproof as a few forums don't have links on the home page, but once you have compiled the basic URL, you can tidy up the search by removing "false" hits. Run the search, then hover your cursor over the link to the forum that you want to remove. Note the number displayed in your status bar after the text "forumdisplay.php?f=". Add that number at the end of the search URL (with a leading comma).

This is a workaround and it's not graceful, but I have found it useful. YMMV. I have just tidied it up a bit so that someone else (other than myself) can use it!

Cheers,

Andrew

PS: Apologies for resurrecting an OLD thread... :wink:

ShoalDiverSA:
PS: Apologies for resurrecting an OLD thread... :wink:
Feel free to drag up one from the previous century if you can help with solving problems. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom