Jean Michel Cousteau shark special..anyone watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Correction, Fabien Cousteau's special, not Philippe Cousteau's. Got the wrong grandson!

Thanks for the catch.

The sad thing is I have read some work by Mark Marks, and the guy appears really intelligent when he writes. It just seems when the cameras go on he loses all control.

slingshot:
Not all the blue shells covered rebreathers. In the first dive sequence (all that I've watched so far on my DVR), the divers are clearly on open circuit, with single hose regs, albeit some with face pieces. Their tanks were still covered by the blue casings. Very Team Zissou, which is by no means a criticism:D

Actually they've used encased open circuit SCUBA, with multiple small tanks, for decades although the design has changed. Back in the mid-80's I worked with them on the TBS series "Cousteau's Rediscovery of the World" they had similar open circuit tanks covered with shells. My understanding is that the shells are to improve hydronamics.

That drift dive in the current through the pass looked awesome.

drbill:
That drift dive in the current through the pass looked awesome.

One more time---Is that the type of current I will encounter in Palau next March? First time in Palau and I shoot a lot of video and am slightly concerned about handling a reef hook, cam housing, and maybe have to deploy a sausage in that kind of current.. I almost feel like I may not have enough hands.

I've DVR'd many Blue Realm's as well as this special. When I get someone over here at the house who thinks they'd like to dive I'll turn on one of these special on my 60" HDTV. My DVR saves in HD as well, so the picture and sound are amazing. It's truly inspiring to watch these specials, especially when they go to a place I've been to.

Anyone wanting to experience sharks up close might try Stuart Coves in Nassau. I'ts a great time. Bring some non-divers and have them snorkel with the sharks.

RICoder:
KK, I just poked around with my DVR box and it turns out that "Jean Michel Cousteau:Ocean" is a series on PBS now (or at least there are multiple episodes of it). The shark episode is being replayed on PBS-HD at 4pm EST today, and the whale episode is airing next Wed evening. WOOPDIE DOO!!!!

Now, if only they film an episode where Jean beats his cousin over the head with a mechanical shark.

Got my DVR all set to record them all!:D

Anyone know how they were controlling buoyancy? None seemed to wear a BCD at all. Maybe they were just mimicking the old Cousteau methods?

Ed

DawgDiver:
Crap! I missed it, anyone know when it will re-air?

Here is the schedule for the rest of the Ocean Adventures series for GA:

Sharks at Risk
Observing gray sharks and great white sharks.
Tuesday, July 18, 8:00 PM
WPBA - Channel 30

The Gray Whale Obstacle Course
Following gray whales on their migration routes.

Wednesday, July 19, 8:00 PM
GPB--channel 8

Sunday, July 23, 6:00 PM
GPB--channel 8

Sunday, July 23, 12:30 PM
WPBA - Channel 30

Tuesday, July 25, 8:00 PM
WPBA - Channel 30

The last episode, America's Underwater Treasures, airs on September 20 and September 27 at 8pm (but they don't have the local listing yet, so I don't know if these times and dates refer to GPB or not)

Happy watching :blinking:

slingshot:
Not all the blue shells covered rebreathers. In the first dive sequence (all that I've watched so far on my DVR), the divers are clearly on open circuit, with single hose regs, albeit some with face pieces. Their tanks were still covered by the blue casings. Very Team Zissou, which is by no means a criticism:D

You're right. I went back and watch it again - and no one in a blue suit dove a rebreather this past episode. There were a couple of rebreathers on the SA great white dive, but they were not part of JM's regular team. On the first episode (NW Hawaii), a couple of team members dove rebreathers and the folks on oc had exposed tanks to my recollection - now that I have gone back and watched #2 just looking at gear, I will have to rewatch the first one.

I finally got to watch it on ye ole DVR in HD...WHOA! Great show, great videography, great information. I'm still in awe that they got in the water with GWs only wearing snorkle equipment, truly amazing. If you have HD, its really the only way to watch this special.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom