Jersey Line or Up Line use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ_Zoner:
I think if the line kept you from being blow off a wreck, recovering the line would be a non-issue. You or someone else could do another dive and retrieve it. If you do get blow off a wreck, who knows, you might not have the opportunity to go on another dive.

Craig

I prefer "getting blown off the wreck" and ascending under my liftbag. That's SOP for technical diving on the wrecks here in Browad, Dade, and PB counties.

deepstops:
I prefer "getting blown off the wreck" and ascending under my liftbag. That's SOP for technical diving on the wrecks here in Browad, Dade, and PB counties.

If you have a small amount of deco time, say 10-15 minutes. Your dive boat is tied up to the mooring ball, With the currents that are down there, how far away would you be from your boat? Seems you'd want to stay close by if you could.

Craig

AZ_Zoner:
I think if the line kept you from being blow off a wreck, recovering the line would be a non-issue. You or someone else could do another dive and retrieve it. If you do get blow off a wreck, who knows, you might not have the opportunity to go on another dive.

That is my position exactly. I have never had to use it and hope that I never will. But if it happens I will galdly cut the line once I finish my safety stop and reach the surface and get some more line later or recover it on a second dive. If it was shallow enough I could loop it over something and just hold the other end. meaning I would have the reel in one hand and the end of the rope in the other and let out line on the way up. THis would half my line distance to 45-50 feet so it would be site dependant whether this technique could be used or not.

In the Great Lakes, Lake Huron in particular, most of the common wrecks are moored in the Spring and waiting for divers. I guess I was under the impression that most other places did the same. Are you saying if I go to the East coast i'll need to ascend on a lift bag?

I was in Fort Lauderdale the week before last and the dive ops sent down a DM to moore off when we arrived on the wreck. The reefs were another story because of the current. Free ascend on the flag and wait for the boat. So I ask again will I need the skill of using a lift bag for an ascent line if I head to the East coast?

AZ_Zoner:
If you have a small amount of deco time, say 10-15 minutes. Your dive boat is tied up to the mooring ball, With the currents that are down there, how far away would you be from your boat? Seems you'd want to stay close by if you could.

Craig

The boats I dive with here (Miami through Palm Beach) don't attach to the wrecks, they "live boat" above the wreck. Everyone has a dive plan and the captain knows when the liftbags should begin popping up. The boat then follows the liftbags. All the divers plan the drop so all the buddy teams come off the wreck within a minute or two of each other. This obviously won't work on the typical cattle boat.

motorcitydiver:
In the Great Lakes, Lake Huron in particular, most of the common wrecks are moored in the Spring and waiting for divers. I guess I was under the impression that most other places did the same. Are you saying if I go to the East coast i'll need to ascend on a lift bag?

I was in Fort Lauderdale the week before last and the dive ops sent down a DM to moore off when we arrived on the wreck. The reefs were another story because of the current. Free ascend on the flag and wait for the boat. So I ask again will I need the skill of using a lift bag for an ascent line if I head to the East coast?

In the local area, most of the bigger boats tie into the wreck. That being said, the ability to use a spool/reel and liftbag is a good skill to have because if you get blown off the wreck (regardless of them being tied to it) and can't get back to it, what are you going to do then??

I guess I could of added more detail to what I what I was looking for. I think I got the answer I was looking for in around about way though.

But if a dive was to be done off a non-cattle boat, tied into the mooring buoy, all (maybe 4 or 5) divers were experienced with shooting bags and using reels, all divers could do a drift deco, would you recommend a jersey line as a safety device to dive with on the wrecks in the keys?

I had not thought about it until hearing about some dives that got blown off a wreck. I don't know the details on that incident but it just made me think that having a solid line (heavier than a reel line) that I could deploy with a lift bag, that stayed attached to the the wreck could be a good thing.

It does sound that most of the wrecks have plenty of mooring lines tied off to several locations on the wrecks. That's a good thing as long as you come up on the right one.

Thanks for all the feed back and conversation on this.

Craig

AZ_Zoner:
I had not thought about it until hearing about some dives that got blown off a wreck. I don't know the details on that incident but it just made me think that having a solid line (heavier than a reel line) that I could deploy with a lift bag, that stayed attached to the the wreck could be a good thing.

Thanks for all the feed back and conversation on this.

Craig

Once you're blown off the wreck and you can't get back, what will the upline do for you?? By the time you surface, the boat will never see you. If you're blown off the wreck and shoot the bag or a nice big SMB right away, there's a much higher probability the boat is going to see you. That's just my opinion but I think it's a good idea to have a liftbag or SMB as a contingency plan even on a moored wreck.

deepstops:
Once you're blown off the wreck and you can't get back, what will the upline do for you?? By the time you surface, the boat will never see you. If you're blown off the wreck and shoot the bag or a nice big SMB right away, there's a much higher probability the boats going to see you. That's just my opinion but I think it's a good idea to have a liftbag or SMB as a contingency plan even on a moored wreck.

I guess I was thinking more as a if you can't find the mooring line then you can tie off shoot a bag and go up. You may not be right by your boat but close.

I don't trust a reel line to be able to hold in current as a 1/8 to 3/16 braided nylon line would. Don't know for sure but I don't want to chance it. And I agree, if you’re off the wreck, a jersey line isn't going to do you much good. You’re stuck with your reel and lift bags and maybe a long drift. And I also agree that having a lift bag or SMB is pretty much a no brainer. Hope I didn't insult anyone.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom