Jet Fins Vs Colt 1911

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a Pitts S1C that I shared a hanger with down at Pearland. I loved flying that Pitts Special, that and the Super Cub.

My Kitfox VI (built by me) and my Cub (part owner and rebuilt by me) on the ramp in route to Oshkosh in about 1996:

IMG_0118.jpg

There was a Glock under the seat, not no stink'n 1911. The Jetfins are not very aerodynamic, they stayed at home base, XXXXXXXXX Aircraft and Tool.

N

Nice planes.

Yes they seem to go together.

I don't fly any more, I used to do a lot of it and I agree with NEMROD, Pitts are great.

I understand why NEMROD took a Glock, the kitfox couldn't lift the 1911, right?

My shooting now is confined to trap, I've a beautiful Charles Daly 206 12 gauge over and under and it's a joy to shoot. I'm told there's a decent public range in Hilo, I've not checked it out yet.

There was a Pitts S1C that I shared a hanger with down at Pearland. I loved flying that Pitts Special, that and the Super Cub.

My Kitfox VI (built by me) and my Cub (part owner and rebuilt by me) on the ramp in route to Oshkosh in about 1996:

IMG_0118.jpg

There was a Glock under the seat, not no stink'n 1911. The Jetfins are not very aerodynamic, they stayed at home base, XXXXXXXXX Aircraft and Tool.

N

Nice planes. I don't have any time in a tail dragger but always wanted to try. I've not done much flying since 911 and most all of my time are in Archers and Arrows.

So, in this thread we have martial arts pilots flying off with their guns to go diving. Now where are the technical climbers? I really enjoyed doing that about 50 pounds ago.

I learned to fly in a 1952 PA-18 Supercub (N1590P) and owned half interest in a 1946 PA-12 Super Cruiser (N92588). Both are excellent aircraft. My first aerobatic experience was in a 180hp Citabria. Champs, Citabrias and Decathlons are nice airplanes to fly, but they don't have the same feel or control harmony of a Supercub and they really make you work to fly good aerobatics. I currently share a hanger with a J-3 that is in serious need of restoration and hopefully I'll work a deal with the owner someday. If that were to happen, however, I'd be seriously tempted to go with a Reed Clipped Wing Cub conversion and install an O-235 or O-320 engine to have a nice sportsman category aerobatic aircraft as well as a comparatively rare version of the classic cub.

The Clipped Wing Cub is more or less the a Colt Commander version of the J-3 Cub. Medium and Large Jet Fins are "clipped fin" versions of the Jet Fin, but the large fin versions are just as aquabatic.

So, in this thread we have martial arts pilots flying off with their guns to go diving. Now where are the technical climbers? I really enjoyed doing that about 50 pounds ago.

I used to climb a bit back in Washington State in the 80s. I had basic equipment but I wouldn't say I was a Tech climber... I did a little a few years ago up on the Rim North of Payson, AZ. (See image below)

676496519_l.jpg

PS: For the record, thats not my AR-15... I don't care for .223 rounds, they good for paper targets, eggs, golf balls, and varmits though. I was showing my buddy who owns the gun that I can hit golf balls at 100 and 200 yards accuratly after telling him I don't like .223.

I did have some fun recently on the 3 story rock wall as a mega sized gym here they took us too for team building from my Architectural job.

Everyone just stood around looing at each other when they said ok... who wahts to go first... So I just clipped in and went up. I was a bit too easy, the holds actualy got bigger the higher up wou went. I didn't care of the auto belay device the first time. It was better then a crappy person on Belay though. It was a pretty nice place for fake walls... I likes the feel, smell and challenge of a real rock personaly but it was still fun after so long away.

They did have a few supprises for me, some of the blocks they had installed were loose, so when I applied a little weight they spun. One even came off... Evidently they had set up that one wall but forgot to tighten all the finger hold blocks down. I'm pretty consistent with my points of contact, so it wasn't an issue, just a supprise.

On that wall it was an advanced set up sloped back towards you with an overhand to transition half way up. It had an actual belay station so the trainer was on belay for me. It was nice because i could actually rappel down instead of walking with the auto belay down.

Even though this thread has evolved quite a bit from its origional topic...
I think we can make some pretty cool observations about the common Adventurer spirit many divers have that set them outside the normal percent on the populus.

The enjoyment of exploring places that only a small percent of people see.
Enjoying liberties that many people never think much about let alone pursue.

I think I'd probably enjoy time at any of these activities with the people I've seen posting in this thread so far.

I learned to fly in a 1952 PA-18 Supercub (N1590P) and owned half interest in a 1946 PA-12 Super Cruiser (N92588). Both are excellent aircraft. My first aerobatic experience was in a 180hp Citabria. Champs, Citabrias and Decathlons are nice airplanes to fly, but they don't have the same feel or control harmony of a Supercub and they really make you work to fly good aerobatics. I currently share a hanger with a J-3 that is in serious need of restoration and hopefully I'll work a deal with the owner someday. If that were to happen, however, I'd be seriously tempted to go with a Reed Clipped Wing Cub conversion and install an O-235 or O-320 engine to have a nice sportsman category aerobatic aircraft as well as a comparatively rare version of the classic cub.

The Clipped Wing Cub is more or less the a Colt Commander version of the J-3 Cub. Medium and Large Jet Fins are "clipped fin" versions of the Jet Fin, but the large fin versions are just as aquabatic.

The large Jets are short and squatty, I think it is the XL and up that is properly proportioned. If the XL size were the short and squaty polly wogs I think my love of the pain inducing, arch killing, impervious chunks of rubber would be much reduced.

I have a 200 plus horse, hand built by me, viper yellow IO 360, the Superior bits, sitting in my basement waiting either for me to finish the RV or mount it on a Super Cub, burt, frankly, when I began working aviation as a career my interest in it as a leisure pursuit nose dived.

I got talked into transitioning a fellow into this flivver, afterwards I decided that my career as a test pilot and mentor was ill concieved, I kissed the ground afterwards and ran for my life. Closest I ever came to being a smoking hole.

IMG_0004_edited.jpg

N

212_f4u-01.jpg

I keep dreaming about building one of these some day.

A new F4U-1 replica kits is being considered for development, based on the Pratt & Whitney R1830-92 engines.

The R1830-92 is a 14 cylinder, twin row engine, maximum-rated at around 1200 hp and is found on several versions of the DC3 as well as other aircraft.

But the wife said OK to the Cobra Daytona Coupe

0703kc_02_s+type_65_coupe+.jpg

0703kc_03_s+type_65_coupe+.jpg

once the house, the o'hana, the garage and the workshop are done.

But I think Hawaii calls more for a Unimog

180px-S404-300TDI-erg-chebbi.jpg

or a Duce-and-a-half restoration.
45_ihc_truck_ls.jpg

In the serious cash homebuilt category, I have always thought a Thunder Mustang would be nice. An R-1830 powered Corsair replica has the same appeal but with a throatier radial engine sound. :)

And in the serious fuel bill (and unlikley to die in a smoking hole) category, I'd love to own a nicely restored T-28B, T-28D or Fennec. Alternativley, I double the fuel bill with 2 R-1820's and go with a Grumman Albatross and have a round the world capable flying amphibious RV/liveaboard diveboat.

All of the above will require a winning lottery ticket. Jet fins on the other hand, only cost about $65.

I got talked into transitioning a fellow into this flivver, afterwards I decided that my career as a test pilot and mentor was ill concieved, I kissed the ground afterwards and ran for my life. Closest I ever came to being a smoking hole.
I had a similar experience with what was basically a Monnet Moni with a Mosler VW engine, a big prop and very tall conventional gear to provide prop clearance. It is the only aircraft that has ever scared me and it managed to do it on a fairly regular basis as it was an overpowered ill mannered pitch sensitive, short coupled ground looping SOB of an aircraft with zero forward visibility on the ground. Having the hangar fall on it during a tornado probably saved my life as I was too stupid to stop flying it in an effort to work all the bugs out and probably would have ended up pulling the wings or tail off it in flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom