Jet Fins Vs Colt 1911

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes...you need the greater stopping power of a .45 ACP to incapacitate a pair of Jet Fins.

Actualy a few .45 holes create hand holes to hang the fins by.
No actual reduction in performance unless it damages a strap or the side ribs of the fins...

Skipping back a number of posts...
And yes Fins not flippers... Terms have evolved a bit over time.
I don't refer to my regs, valves, and tank equipment as an Aqualung... do you?

Also.. Since when has Hollywood ever been acurate in how they portray things?

When was the last time you pulled out a 12 inch dive knife and battled sharks and giant squid?

The .40 was developed for the FBI to replace the 9mm because the FBI wanted a round which they thought would equal the knockdown power of the .45 ACP (yet would not be the .45 ACP) since the 9mm wasn't doing the job, so that they would not have to go through the embarrassment of admitting that they made a big mistake by changing over from the .45ACP in the first place. Typical bureaucratic foot-shuffling.

Actually that was the 10mm. It was too hot of a load for the agents to comfortably fire. 9mm was know to be too light of a round.

10mm was tested to try replacing the .45 and comply with international ammo sizes.
.40 S&W was a cut down version (less powder). You can get .40s&w in two load variations... 180 grain and over (fast like 9mm) or 165 and lower (.45 speed but more accurate and < 20 feet away)

All the rounds penetrate the same (accept the 10mm ball) due to engineering and tryin to prevent over penetration. They kinetic energy transfer and wound cannals are hotly depated though.

Who recalls why .45 was created?
Hint: They practice Escrima.

History of the .45 ACP...

Long story short, because I don't feel like pontificating, was the .45 ACP came around in 1905 with the Colt Model 1905. Browning modified his .41 caliber cartrige when the US Calvary asked for a .45 caliber equivalent handgun because their .38 Long Colt was not effective against the Moro Rebellion Warriors in the Phillipine-American war.

Funny...Here we are over a century later and the military is trying to tactfully (and discreetly I assume) go back to the .45 ACP cartridge because the 9mm round has been found to be less than effective against armed opponents in Iraq and Afghanistan...

I guess they haven't learned that whole "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." thing.

Semper Fi to my forty-five!

I have noted a connection between divers and flyers as well as divers and shooters.

How about a diver and flyer that shoots? :D

Jet fins in both large (wet) and x-large (dry).

B737NG/BA146/TC310Q

Berretta 92FS 9mm/Glock 19 9mm/Glock 23 .40/WTB Sig229 .40SW

Love the Jets! Love the BA146! Love the G23! Want to have an affair with the 229!

Don't get to fly the TC310Q much anymore. :(
I can take or leave the B737NG.
Didn't care for the 92FS. G19 was OK but weak.

I must say though, I haven't been shooting in quite a while. :(

How about a diver that flies, shoots and runs around inside burning buildings cause that job was easier to get than flying after 9/11

Actualy a few .45 holes create hand holes to hang the fins by.
No actual reduction in performance unless it damages a strap or the side ribs of the fins...

Skipping back a number of posts...
And yes Fins not flippers... Terms have evolved a bit over time.
I don't refer to my regs, valves, and tank equipment as an Aqualung... do you?

Also.. Since when has Hollywood ever been acurate in how they portray things?

When was the last time you pulled out a 12 inch dive knife and battled sharks and giant squid?

Hmmmm, well, ok, hand me my flippers and check my air on my Aqua Lung will you please?

"Lung" was the generic term, there was the Aqua Lung, Voit Lung, Sportsways Water Lung etc. We called tanks lungs and especially when combined with a twin hose it was a lung set. Still is. You guys got yer terms wrong. Scuba unit per PadI is redundant, proper it is a scuba, self contained underwater breathing APPARATUS, the acronym stands alone.

Besides, I prefer my regulators metal and my guns plastic and my fins rubber, viva le Glock.

Voit Lung:

9566F7384DC5463C84E59492B32705D2.jpg

N

I've had too many rounds explode in the chamber of Glocks. I don't know much about themanymore after those, but I believe the cause was it's unsupported chamber design and +P rounds. Again...thats a guess after almost a decade. I havent touched a Glock since oh maybe 1998.

Never had a problem with my plastic HK USP .40 though. Still, I sold that for my Kimber.

1%201828.jpg

OK... Back a few posts to divers that shoot and fly....

Bushmaster AR15 w/ M4 upper, Beretta Centurion .40 cal, Ruger GP 100 ss .357 mag, Ruger Redhawk ss .44 mag, Rem 870 12ga pump, etc...

Bell 412 (modern twin engine Huey), Bell 222 (Airwolf helo) - not mine though... I just deal w/ the blood and guts in the back.

I have not flown in several years, but now that the kid is out of the house I am thinking about another single seat aerobatic aircraft (I like classic biplanes, so I am thinking maybe a flat wing Pitts like an S-1C or S-D, or even a Smith Mini Plane.)

I have more assault rifles than I probably need (several AR-15's in various M4, M16, M16A1, M16A2, XM-177E2 and varmint configurations, an AR-180, AR-180B, PSL, HK-91, M1 Carbine, SKS, 59/66 and L1A1) and I have a couple of .45's, a couple GP-35's and a CZ-75 that I like to shoot, but since moving to a much more urban area, I shoot a lot less.

In terms of diving my preferences go in opposite directions - very gue'ish tech configuration or vintage doubel hose reg and horsecollar BC.

Back
Top Bottom